PDA

View Full Version : *** Useful brain supplements... diets **

abcd2
11-20-2005, 06:35 PM
anyone got any tips on how to get smarter lol or develop better focus and concentration without any brain

fatigue..... i dink plenty of water and sometimes take ginkgo biloba (supplement) and try to eat healthy most of the

time, but i need more advice on brain development to do well in University

belgareth
11-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Liquid DMAE can help. It's

sold as DMAE H3. Proper dose is based on body weight/mass. At 180 lbs I use 14 drops/day. Too much or taken late in

the day will have adverse effects on your sleep.

abcd2
11-20-2005, 07:09 PM
can u explain what is specifically

does..... and how long do i have to take it for the effects to kick in, and is it safe for teenagers because i

fairly young..... thanks for the info im gonna look it up anyways,

belgareth
11-20-2005, 07:16 PM
It helps the brain to function.

I believe it was sold as a smart drug many years ago. I don't know about side effects on teenagers so strongly

suggest doing some in-depth research before you try it. I know it doesn't prove a lot but the FDA considers it a

safe over the counter nutrient.

Holmes
11-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Salmon oil. Omega 3-fatty acids

improve brain function.

It's not like popping a pill, though (if that's what you're looking for - like

something to pep you up for an exam). The results happen over time.

abcd2
11-21-2005, 02:18 PM
i need anything that can benefit

me.... i was looking into these omega 3+ supplements, but i need some kind of improvement in the brain functioning

concentrating aspect.... its like i have a short term attention span, and anxiety which leads me away from my

studies, and keep in mind that engineering does take all your life away and you need to be dedicated to it in order

to be successful..... coffee and caffeine doesnt really imrpove anything for me therefore i drink less coffee but

tons of tea because its an antoxidant. Would it be best to get some doctors advice for such a little problem, i

have no major incapabilties but these minor things make me procastinate so much its not funny lol

Visionary7903
11-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Megadoses of Thiamine

(Vitamin B1) work very well for me for concentration on reading tasks (I have been taking this for a year). I am

sure the result is similar to taking the Thiamine-derivitive smart drug, Sulbutiamine (Arcalion), which is popular

in Europe. I take 1 * 300 mg pill of Vitamin B1 with a 1 * Vitamin B100 Complex pill twice per day for this (as well

as numerous other health supplements). I take it with a B Complex as taking too much of one B-Vitamin will deplete

levels of the others.

Visionary

abcd2
11-22-2005, 04:59 PM
^ how old are, and for late

teenagers is it ok to take high dosages of what you are taking, or in my case should i take lower dosages, (im 18

btw).....

Visionary7903
11-23-2005, 02:29 AM
^ how old

are, and for late teenagers is it ok to take high dosages of what you are taking, or in my case should i take lower

dosages, (im 18 btw).....

I think it is safe (im in my mid 20s) to take for you. Just make sure you dont

take too much B6 (not more than 100 mg per day) and B3 (as Niacin, not more than 500 mg per day) - these can be

toxic at higher levels.

Anyway if I was 18 I would make sure I was exercising regularly, eating healthy first -

eating enough protein with every meal, making sure I got enough water, eating plenty of dark green vegetables and

berries particularly Blueberries, eating low glycemic index carbs, not eating junkfoods, and getting enough sleep

BEFORE resorting to supplements. But if you are too lazy to do that (I was), do the research thoroughly and take the

supplements if you are willing to take the risk.

Visionary

Icehawk
11-28-2005, 04:26 AM
How does DMAE work on

concentration. Ive tried a few nootropics (idbenone, piracetam etc) and find them to be very usefull but they do

tend to scatter me mentally somwhat.

belgareth
11-28-2005, 10:48 AM
How does DMAE

work on concentration. Ive tried a few nootropics (idbenone, piracetam etc) and find them to be very usefull but

they do tend to scatter me mentally somwhat.

You may be different from me in many ways so I can only

answer for how it works for me. I have had ADD all my life and so my concentration is a little flighty anyway. DMAE

helps a lot with my concentration and ability to focus. It also speeds up my mental processes. I still suggest the

liquid form because there is a real line that when you cross it you have trouble sleeping and relaxing. Since each

drop of the liquid is 10 mg I know exactly how much I take.

Visionary7903
11-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Hi Icehawk,

nootropics

are like pheromones in my experience in that you have to find the right mix (or single product) that works for you.

If you want to go the whole hog read up on the http://forum.avantlabs.com (http://forum.avantlabs.com/)

Neuroscience section and www.imminst.org (http://www.imminst.org/) Nootropics and Brain enhancers

section.

I have ADD too and have tried DMAE and it did not work for me for concentration after the first few

weeks of continual use (though I never tried the specific brand that Belgareth mentioned.) On the other hand other

products like Thiamine megadoses and certain herbs like Gingko helped ME with concentration issues.

Visionary

How does DMAE work on concentration. Ive tried a few nootropics (idbenone, piracetam etc) and find

them to be very usefull but they do tend to scatter me mentally somwhat.

belgareth
11-29-2005, 04:33 AM
I have

ADD too and have tried DMAE and it did not work for me for concentration after the first few weeks of continual use

(though I never tried the specific brand that Belgareth mentioned.) On the other hand other products like Thiamine

megadoses and certain herbs like Gingko helped ME with concentration issues.

Visionary

It's

interesting how different we all are. Ginko never had a really noticable effect on me. The liquid DMAE is a salt

dissolved in solution, DMAE by itself is a caustic and does not absorb well. The pill form does not absorb in a

reliable manner either. Those are also good reasons for recommending the liquid as the dissolved salt passes through

he membrane and into the bloodstream readily. It did seem at first to lose it's effectiveness so I increased the

dosage. 14 drops per day seem to give me a steady effect (almost two years now) while not interferring with

reasonable sleep habits.

thr3shold
01-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, but the liquid DMAE

tastes like @ss.

belgareth
01-24-2006, 11:29 PM
So put it in a protien drink or

coffee or gatorade.

thr3shold
01-24-2006, 11:34 PM
At one point I was taking

liquid Ginkgo Biloba and I thought that tasted awful, then I started also taking liquid DMAE and I thought the

ginkgo tasted great in comparison,but I never thought to try it mixed in with another drink, I just assumed (yeah

yeah I know) it would make whatever it touched just as awful tasting. I mean it really is some vile stuff.

Lorenzo_91
01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Flaxseed oil, or fish oils

are up to 4 to 6 times stronger sometimes but smell. So basically the omegas will help you with congnition and brain

fatigue. Also it has been proven in a few studies that creatine also affects the brain in a positive way.

Peace.:lol:

Visionary7903
01-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, but

the liquid DMAE tastes like @ss.

I have to agree the liquid DMAE is disgusting tasting... have you tried

it for long and seen any results from it thr3shold? I might have to put some in my protein shake like Belgareth

suggested...

Recently I have also added a good brand of Bacopa on top of some of the other supplements that I

take and have definitely noticed a solid improvement in brain function (improved logical thinking, learning, memory,

etc)...

Visionary

gabe1970
07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
anyone got any tips on how to get smarter lol or develop better focus and concentration without any

brain fatigue..... i dink plenty of water and sometimes take ginkgo biloba (supplement) and try to eat healthy most

of the time, but i need more advice on brain development to do well in University

You guys have GOT to be

kidding about DMAE - next thing I know, you're going to be resommending DHEA for increasing Testosterone. (hint:

not if you want real-world results and a margin of safety while using dosages that are backed up by clinical data --

instead of using the dose on the bottle, which is the dose the manufacturer thinks you're willing to pay

for.)

But I digress... what you're looking for are called "Nootropics" or "Smart Pills" but I wouldn't bother

with anything you can buy over the counter. Since this is the 21st century, Smart DRUGS are

what you should research.

Since you said you are "in University", I imagine that you're not in the USA. Thus

you don't have to deal with grey market suppliers like some of us, and you might even be able to walk into a

pharmacy and buy what you need.

Piracetam, Hydergine, or Oxiracetam coupled with Choline is a good beginners

combination. Deprenyl works very well and has some, uh, "interesting" sexual side effects.
Vasopressin is AWESOME

for short-term memory and is well-suited for sporadic sleep-deprivation cyling and traditional cramming. But Vaso

gives me massive headaches and is not in the least bit safe for long -term use since it is a hormone. You can begin

your "real" research at
http://nootropics.com/

but the most complete resource I've found is, of

course, a forum...

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=SF&f=169

You can find reviews of

Smart Drugs there as well as an up to date list of suppliers.

PM or IM me for more info.

gabe1970
07-25-2006, 06:33 PM
And fish oil?

WTF?

StinkPurdy
10-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Fish oil is given to

bipolars. I reportedly helps even out mood.

I don't know if my thought process is valid, but it could be said

that breaking the cycle of depression/bipolar should free up compute cycles in the brain.

DrSmellThis
02-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I recently was told to try

vinpocentine.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about it?

Bruce
02-06-2007, 06:49 PM
I have used it quite a bit. I am

not sure I can say how well it works. When I was in Japan I took a number of heavy-wt. "smart drugs" that had a

dramatic effect. I don't think Vinpocetine is on that level, but it is cheaper and you can get it over the counter

anywhere. I would give it a try and see what you think.

DrSmellThis
02-07-2007, 03:45 AM
THanks, Bruce.

IT

supposedly helps cerebral circulation somehow.

The GQ
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm currently using a Nootropic

called Clear Edge, it was at Anabolic Minds that I picked up their pheromone thread that linked me here. Clear Edge

is great 3-4 tabs on an empty stomach and I noticed an increase in focus and concentration I was able to edit a old

paper with new corrections in a few minutes and I also compiled and written a full essay on some art pieces within

or a little less than 10 mins. I knew it would of took longer to get my thoughts on paper but I was impressed as

that phase was done so quick while being very fluent and flowing in the essay.

junebug4
02-12-2007, 06:24 AM
I've tried

a lot of "smart drugs"

the best IMO is getsmart.

try

http://smart-drugs.net/index.html

you'll get info on different

nootropics.:type:

Holmes
02-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Does Getsmart make you hyper or

jittery?

junebug4
02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
you won't be hyper or jittery.

you will start to notice that you can retain info easier.

Holmes
02-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

The GQ
02-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Same with mine as well! No

hyperness or jittery, I bought while I can at a great price. :thumbsup:

Holmes
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Most excellent. Just bought

some.

Also started using the BrainBuilder 3.0 software.

Tryin' to build the old noggin back up from a

mound of mush over here.

ontimenow
02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=The GQ]I'm currently

using a Nootropic called Clear Edge, it was at Anabolic Minds that I picked up their pheromone thread that linked me

here. Clear Edge is great 3-4 tabs on an empty stomach and I noticed an increase in focus and concentration I was

able to edit a old paper with new corrections in a few minutes and I also compiled and written a full essay on some

art pieces within or a little less than 10 mins. I knew it would of took longer to get my thoughts on paper but I

was impressed as that phase was done so quick while being very fluent and flowing in the essay.[/QUOTE

Clear

Edge is da bomb I think 6 tabs on a empty stomach works good for me. Along with a product called Stizm.

Bruce
03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I just bumped into this list of

popular smart drugs. There seem to be a lot of new ones on the list. Anyone tried them?

http://www.lef.org/offshoredrugs.html

B

osit
08-16-2007, 03:48 AM
piracetam + lecithin = improved

memory and cognitive enhancement. ive been using both for the past 2 months and my memory has been noticeably

sharper and my choice in words have been impressive.

Unity
09-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I have a similar problem. I am

going to university as well and I have a major problem focusing.
Has anyone tried focus factor?