PDA

View Full Version : Discount Coupon Jeopardy

Bruce
11-17-2005, 04:37 PM
World scriptures

for $20.:
Without this, I have become a clashing cymbal.

Mtnjim
11-17-2005, 05:36 PM
"Though I speak with the tongues of

men and of angels, but have not love, I have become as sounding brass or a clashing cymbal."

Bruce
11-17-2005, 05:39 PM
OK, quick. Give me the answer

though. This is jeopardy. You have to give me the question. Never seen the show?

B

jamesdeanmartin
11-17-2005, 07:26 PM
What is love?

taken

from 1 Cor 13:1

Bruce
11-18-2005, 08:18 AM
OK, yeah. That's what I was

looking for. $20. discount coupon for you. I'll send one to MJ too. These are actual $20. off coupons, not the

usual % discount, so you can use them on any size order (I think).

Congrats,
B

Bruce
11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
OK, here's a much tougher

one.

World scriptures for $30.

This scripture consists entirely of a conversation between a warrior

and his teacher immediately before a huge battle.

NaughtieGirl
11-18-2005, 09:29 AM
OK, here's a

much tougher one.

World scriptures for $30.

This scripture consists entirely of a conversation between a

warrior and his teacher immediately before a huge battle.

This is fun! I can't resist.

Total shot

in the dark...

What is Shambhala?

Pretzel
11-18-2005, 09:31 AM
The

Bhagavad-Gita, from the the Mahabharata, Hindu scriptures. It is a dialogue between Lord Krishna and

Arjuna on the battle-field, before the beginning of the great war.

NaughtieGirl
11-18-2005, 09:39 AM
The

Bhagavad-Gita, from the the Mahabharata, Hindu scriptures. It is a dialogue between Lord Krishna and

Arjuna on the battle-field, before the beginning of the great war.

Pretzel! I'm falling off my chair

with awe!

You need to put "What is" in front of your answer though!

Pretzel
11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Errrrr.... what is the The

Bhagavad-Gita?

(Never seen jeopardy in my life, so sorry missed the point somewhat!! Doh!!!!!)

Thank you for

pointing that out, Naughtie Girl!

Bruce
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Wow! Correct. I didn't expect

that to get answered so quickly. Are you of Indian decent? Or just familiar with Eastern religion?

Anyway,

check your PMs for a coupon code worth $30. on any order.

Bruce

NaughtieGirl
11-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Wow! Correct.

I didn't expect that to get answered so quickly. Are you of Indian decent? Or just familiar with Eastern

religion?

Anyway, check your PMs for a coupon code worth $30. on any order.

Bruce

I know, I was

very impressed too.

I'm starting to think, Bruce, that I might challenge you to try to come up with a question

that no-one can answer. But it has to be a "general knowledge question". You cannot ask stuff like "What breed dog

do I own" or something along those lines.

Pretzel
11-18-2005, 02:09 PM
That's great Bruce - thanks! I

wasn't sure if it was right...and I finally grasp the jeopardy concept now, lol!

I'm not of Indian descent, am

Welsh in fact, but I was aware of the Mahabharata, and did a little bit of research! I enjoyed doing that, I have

some exams coming up, so it was much more fun doing this than studying!! :lol:

Thanks again!

Bruce
11-18-2005, 02:12 PM
OK, you're on NG. Pretzel, you sit

this one out. I think you might know this one too.

World scriptures for $35.

This plant is discussed

in depth in one of the world's most ancient scriptures, and still worshipped as a God by many.

belgareth
11-18-2005, 02:28 PM
What is the Oak tree?

Bruce
11-18-2005, 02:36 PM
No, though now I can think of at

least one other plant that is sort of worshipped. Nothing like the one I'm thinking of in it's native land.

belgareth
11-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, I know that the Peyote

plant is also worshiped as a god in this country.

Bruce
11-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I just did a Google to see if this

could be dug up that way and found a lot of references to a plant called "Soma". This is a hallucinogenic plant

that grows high in the himalayas and is apparently mentioned in the Rig Veda, and futhermore is referred to by some

as the "God plant". I have some really hysterical stories about this stuff, but that is not the plant I am looking

for. Soma is not really worshipped. Just some sadhus who live in the mountains do a lot of various drugs and say

it will make you "see God".

Bruce
11-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, peyote is also in that class;

drugs that give visions. My plant is grown in India, with a history that goes back 5-6000 years I think. It is a

healing herb, but for some reason it is believed to have some extraordinary spiritual properties.

belgareth
11-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Peyote is the entity called

Mescalito to some indians. Since they don't keep written records its hard to tell how long they've been using

it.

thenoser
11-18-2005, 03:00 PM
(what is) tulsi plant?

Bruce
11-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Yes! Tulsi it is. Worshipped as

"Tulsi Devi" the godess all over India. Discussed at length in the Ayurveda scripture, and believed to have special

powers to look after those who care for her.

Sorry that wasn't a very good question because there were so

many alternate answers with merit. But $35. coupon for thenoser. Where did you get the answer, BTW?

B

thenoser
11-18-2005, 03:19 PM
my love for thai food. i

remember seeing it listed on a menu as holy tulsi and took the opportunity to ask the cute waitress about it.

apparently, it is a member of the basil family.

great game. i have to remember to cruise the board more often on

fridays.

thanks bruce. and i was just mulling over what to order prior to checking the new posts.

Bruce
11-26-2005, 09:28 AM
OK, no game.

Oldies song

lyrics for $20. Remember the correct response should be framed as a question. (eg "What is Tulsi?")

We are

advised by an old Neil Young song not to let these burning things get us down.

thenoser
11-26-2005, 10:06 AM
what are burning

castles?

don't let it bring you down
it's only castles burning
find someone who's turning
and you will come

around

Bruce
11-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Yes, or just "what are castles?"

Cool. Did you know the song, or did you Google it or what?

B

Rbt
11-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Back to the original opening post

question (sorry I didn't check this thread until recently), one translation also uses "charity."

thenoser
11-26-2005, 10:40 AM
one of my college roomates was

a neil young fan. i guess i remembered the reference by osmosis. i did google for the lyrics though.

bruce, since

i just placed an order (using the previous coupon i won), i would like you to give this to the next winner. can i

choose the answer?

Bruce
11-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Very generous of you. By all means,

you can pose the "answer". Then just email your discount code by PM to the winner.

Rbt,
I've seen that

translation too. Nowadays "charity" carries a rather strong meaning burden of "donation" of a material nature.

Unfortunately for some "love" also has its negative conotations.

B

thenoser
11-26-2005, 10:29 PM
okay, for the $20

coupon:

the quote in my signature was taken from this movie.

Holmes
11-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Let It Ride?

:lol:

Jay Trotter - my kinda guy.

thenoser
11-27-2005, 06:47 AM
correct! it is from the first

scene where he and teri garr's character get the whole restaurant involved in an argument over fortune cookie

etiquette. the quote is from the fortune he gets from his fortune cookie.

i have pm'd you the coupon.

Rbt
11-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Very generous of you.

By all means, you can pose the "answer". Then just email your discount code by PM to the winner.

Rbt,
I've

seen that translation too. Nowadays "charity" carries a rather strong meaning burden of "donation" of a material

nature. Unfortunately for some "love" also has its negative conotations.

B

Agreed. "Love" and "lust"

are often confused.

In my old age (in re: another thread) I've also come to realize the wisdom in the phrase

"and so and so knew his wife and she bore him a child..." (not exact quote). Instead of it being

interpreted as a euphanism for just having sex, I think the translators realized it meant that the guy "knew" her as

a person, understood her, etc. Something, given the high divorce rate etc, is oft lacking in many societies today.

Okay, that was a bit off the thread...

(I think I've seen "love" in RSV and "charity" in KJV.)

Bruce
11-27-2005, 10:16 AM
OK, scriptures of the world for $30.

Who said this:
------
There was an unbearable pain in my heart, because I couldn't get a vision of God.

Just as a man wrings out a towel with all his strength to get the water out of it, so I felt as if my heart and mind

were being wrung out. I began to think I should never see God. I was dying of despair. In my agony, I said to

myself: "What's the use of living this life?" Suddenly my eyes fell upon the sword that hangs in the temple. I

decided to end my life with it, then and there. Like a madman, I ran to it and seized it. And then, I had a

marvelous vision of God and fell down unconscious. It was as if houses, doors and everything else vanished

altogether; as if there was nothing anywhere! And then what I saw was an infinite shoreless sea of light; a sea

that was consciousness. However far and in whatever direction I looked, I saw shining waves, one after another,

coming towards me. They were raging and storming upon me with great speed. Very soon they were upon

me....
-----

NaughtieGirl
11-27-2005, 10:37 AM
OK, scriptures

of the world for $30. Who said this:
------
There was an unbearable pain in my heart, because I couldn't get a

vision of God. Just as a man wrings out a towel with all his strength to get the water out of it, so I felt as if my

heart and mind were being wrung out. I began to think I should never see God. I was dying of despair. In my agony, I

said to myself: "What's the use of living this life?" Suddenly my eyes fell upon the sword that hangs in the

temple. I decided to end my life with it, then and there. Like a madman, I ran to it and seized it. And then, I had

a marvelous vision of God and fell down unconscious. It was as if houses, doors and everything else vanished

altogether; as if there was nothing anywhere! And then what I saw was an infinite shoreless sea of light; a sea that

was consciousness. However far and in whatever direction I looked, I saw shining waves, one after another, coming

towards me. They were raging and storming upon me with great speed. Very soon they were upon me....
-----

Who is Ramakrishna?

Pancho1188
11-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Let It

Ride? :lol:

Jay Trotter - my kinda guy.

I'm having a very good day.

5 of clubs

Bruce
11-27-2005, 03:04 PM
NG,

Very good! Really

didn't think anyone would get that. Check your PMs for your prize.

BTW, there is a great book on the

subject called "Ramakrishna and his Disciples" by Christopher Isherwood.

B

valentines_garden
11-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Let It Ride

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't see that the answer had already been posted... it must have been on the next page and I didn't

notice.

blooot
04-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Bruce, you should totally start

this again. but maybe a diffrent category