PDA

View Full Version : ethical question

**DONOTDELETE**
12-19-2001, 08:55 PM
I have been an enthusiastic user of various pheromone colognes for quite some time now. A few weeks ago, I began to put a little on my dog (a german shepherd) every time I put some on myself. He doesn\'t seem mind and I suspect that he might actually like it a little. I haven\'t noticed any change in my female friend\'s reactions to him. I have thought that perhaps this is an inhumane thing to do to my pet because he isn\'t able to express consent for it. What do you think?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-19-2001, 09:02 PM
did you remember to get the for-dogs-only pheromones?

are dogs equals to humans?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-19-2001, 09:06 PM
no, I have been giving him the sames ones I use (human). Is there any potential danger in the mixing of his natural canine pheromones with the human pheromones in the cologne?

No, Dogs are not equal to humans. You can tell that just by looking at them.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-19-2001, 09:10 PM
Does anyone have any experience with placing human pheromones on non-human things? what were the results?

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: american taliban ]

Whitehall
12-20-2001, 08:19 AM
We had a thread on animal vs. human pheromones a few pages back:

\"Pheromones and Testosterone - a web link\"

Our conclusion was that pheromones are similar in many species - OK, pigs and humans, at least. For your dog, I\'d ask, how do other dogs react? Is your dog more alpha wearing your pheromones? Do other dogs defer more now?

Frankly, it seems like a waste of money but unless you see some untoward effects, it does not appear unethical to me. Just weird.

Whitehall
12-20-2001, 08:23 AM
In addition, it can\'t be more unethical that a fruf-fruf haircut on a poodle. images/icons/crazy.gif

Consider the ethics of the act of deliberately breeding a genetic mix that cannot survive without humans (chihuahua !) or is prone to genetic defects from in-breeding (for example, hip defects on, what, Dobermans?)

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: Whitehall ]

**DONOTDELETE**
12-20-2001, 10:36 AM
As far as Dog health probs, you almost cannot beat Basset hounds. Cute and fun, but man do they have health probs.