PDA

View Full Version : Temperature

**DONOTDELETE**
12-04-2001, 01:10 PM
I would LIKE to keep a bottle of pheros in my car (preferably the jambat duo that I just ordered)- but it can get coooold up here in the winter sometimes.

I don\'t know if this is a stupid question or not, but any potential problems with that idea??

Gracias!

Whitehall
12-04-2001, 01:56 PM
Products in a high alcohol base should NOT have too much problem - how many of us keep a bottle of vodka in the freezer?

For oils, they will probably become more viscous (thicker) and harder to pour or mix.
I suspect neither will present a problem from separation or precipation due to the small dissolved contents but the heavily perfumed products would be more susceptable to clouding or separation.

In general, cold temperatures reduce aging and degradation of chemicals so cold extends shelf life in most cased.

In other words, not to worry. However, do be aware of splashing cold alcohol or oil on your skin - the cold liquids could cause freezing of the skin - but you\'re not using that much, are you?

Bruce
12-04-2001, 05:26 PM
It might thicken up on you in very cold weather. I am not sure if freezing temps are going to be OK, but cool should be much better than room temperature. Could lengthen the lifespan quite a bit. Freezing temps might be even better. Not sure. High temperatures like you often find in a car in the summer are a big no-no; almost certainly going to cause rapid loss of strength.
Cheers,
Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
12-04-2001, 10:30 PM
so what is the average or expected lifespan bruce for

Oil based
And
Alcohol based products.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-05-2001, 12:44 AM
APC, might get really goopy. If you keep the individual bottles in the car (I do not know why you would be mixing on the go. . .) the APC would be troublesome. If you have a 5, 10, 20 ml spray bottle/roll on, no prob. Just warm it up with your hands. Shake it up for 30 sec, and rewarm. It will warm up real fast. As far a degradation, only a few things (like three) have real problems with crappin out in the cold. If it is summertime, the heat will kill these things. At what rate? Who cares, we know that heat does the damage, so try to avoid it.

Oh and DD, the time for degradation is probably the same. It is not the alcohol or the oil that we are worried about. But, the oil based products can get to a much higher temp, alcohol evaporates before it gets too hot. Needless to say, the degradation is dependent on the pheros, and their tolerance to heat.

CJ01
12-05-2001, 04:02 AM
The best place to keep it inside the car is probably the glove compartment. You could also keep it wrapped up in something. What kind of temperatures are we talking about anyway? 0 to -10 or even lower?

**DONOTDELETE**
12-05-2001, 06:12 PM
CJ01, -10 is about as cold as it ever gets here.

Thanks for all of the replies!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-05-2001, 10:53 PM
-10? ? ? Egad, I do not deal with that kinda temps. If the formula is alcohol based, it will be fine. Cold but fine. If you have any styrofoam leftover from the coming holidays, make a case out of it. It is seriously the best stuff out there to insulate with. Leather punches make excellent hole punchers for styrofoam. If you do not have that, wrap it up in a paper towel, and then aluminum foil on the out side of that. The paper is a god insulator, the foil holds it together. Actually, a bunch of paper towels would be better, but it is kinda cumbersome.

Whitehall
12-06-2001, 07:39 AM
I suspect that he means -10 degrees Centigrade or about 15 deg F.

CJ01
12-06-2001, 10:26 AM
an alcohol product can easily freeze too. Vodka and certain other liqours don´t, otherwise the russians would have a real problem right? images/icons/laugh.gif.
One way to try it out is to get hold of a sample cologne, leave it in the car and see what happens. That way you don´t risk your pheros.
CJ