PDA

View Full Version : Mind reading?

belgareth
04-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Interesting phenomena

but also has huge implications for seduction..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/scientistssayeveryonecanreadminds;_ylt=AvYGwy6t3ak VjLf6WH62DL6s

0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2bm5xNHVjBHNlYwNtcA (http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/scientistssayeveryonecanreadminds;_ylt=AvYGwy6t3ak VjLf6WH62DL6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDM

TA2bm5xNHVjBHNlYwNtcA)--

DrSmellThis
04-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Fantastic article.

The

only thing I would question is their calling them "mirror neurons", when they might well be the same "average kind"

of neurons being activated in response to sensory cues about another's mental state.

belgareth
04-28-2005, 01:11 PM
I see their point. From the

description they were a seperate cluster of cells performing an independent action. Some label had to be applied to

differentiate them.

DrSmellThis
04-28-2005, 02:21 PM
If the situation was

different, or the content being mirrored was different; might you see a different cluster of cells?

belgareth
04-29-2005, 05:10 AM
That's a good question but I

didn't see anything on it in the articles. They may have not gone that far yet.

DrSmellThis
04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
That's all I'm saying.

But I've long believed something like this about empathy; because of the unbelievable richness of interpersonal

sensory cues and the universality of human emotion and experience. This will focus the scientific community more on

what is happening, which is a great thing.

"Interpersonal resonance" (a term I'm using for the general case

under which empathy falls, a sort of gut level shared experience studied by phenomenologists. It's not really about

empathy, per se, which is a specifically emotional resonance.) is the primary immediate purpose of human

communication, IMO. So this is a hugely important topic for several fields. Smells and pheromones obviously play an

important role in this process.

So obviously I think you are correct about there being implications for

seduction.

CptKipling
04-29-2005, 03:41 PM
From what I know, at least with

motor neurons, they are in fact the same neurones that would otherwise be firing to cause movement.