PDA

View Full Version : Any Civ III fans out there?

Bruce
04-26-2005, 11:27 AM
I used to play

Civ II a lot a few years ago and just got Civ III. I'm having trouble making the transition. Any players out

there?

B

CptKipling
04-26-2005, 03:46 PM
I used to play Civ too, and

I've heard that the # III is a little tricky to get used to.

So your not alone at least :)

NaughtieGirl
04-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I used to play

Civ II a lot a few years ago and just got Civ III. I'm having trouble making the transition. Any players out

there?

B
I confess I Googled, out of sheer curiosity. I had never heard of it.
This looked like a

good link:

http://www.simonrobinson.com/Interests/Civ/Civ3R

eview.aspx (http://www.simonrobinson.com/Interests/Civ/Civ3Review.aspx)

SwingerMD
04-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Bruce,

Every now and then

I start up a game of Civ III. The strategic resources were the hardest to get used to. The game also taxes my

system.

-SwingerMD

a.k.a.
04-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Civ II is a lot of fun. You can

steal slaves, convert neighboring countries to your religion, drain other countries resources by setting up your own

corporations, hire lawyers, send out spies... Plus you get to build a starship and play with all kinds of sci-fi

technologies. It’s a very imaginative game which allows you to pursue a variety of strategies. (I especially love

unleashing my inner capitalist and waging economic warfare.)

Civ III seems very dry by comparison. It

seems to be nothing more than an extended arms race, dragged out over the centuries. If I don’t focus all my

resources on building a bad-ass military, I lose right away. Also the various nations don’t appear to be equally

balanced. Romans and Germans seem to have and advantage.

belgareth
04-27-2005, 05:59 AM
Ok, AKA. You've got me

curious. I enjoy Age of Empires so couldn't resist this. Just ordered Civ II as it sounds like fun. Civ III

doesn't sound as interesting.

a.k.a.
04-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Nice. It takes a couple of games to

figure out all the angles. But I bet you’ll like it.

belgareth
04-27-2005, 06:15 AM
It should get here in a couple

days. I might get time to try it out over the weekend. Will let you know what I think but world dominion has always

appealed to me.

Bruce
04-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Bel,

Before it arrives, say

goodbye to your fiance, your business, any pets and kids you might have. You wont be having anything to do with

them for the next few months, until you start to get things back in perspective again. Civ II has a tendency to take

over your life for a while. Games go on for days/weeks and it is hard to turn the darn thing off.

B

CptKipling
04-27-2005, 08:07 AM
I was very dissapointed

recently when I found that I couldn't get Civ II to work on XP :(

I might see if there are some patches to fix

my problem, but I am concerned about losing my life to it again.

belgareth
04-27-2005, 08:35 AM
It doesn't work on XP? That

may save my life and engagement. But, on the other hand, there's never any such thing as "can't". There's always

a way!

Bruce
04-27-2005, 11:16 PM
My guess is that the most recent

version of Civ II will work with XP.

B

CptKipling
04-28-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm just loading up a patch

now, but if that doesn't work I noticed that if you look at the properties of the .exe file for civ II and click on

the compatability tab, you can use the settings of previous windows versions. Cool huh?

Mtnjim
04-28-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm just loading

up a patch now, but if that doesn't work I noticed that if you look at the properties of the .exe file for civ II

and click on the compatability tab, you can use the settings of previous windows versions. Cool huh?
You

can do that with any program under XP. (like other games):type: