PDA

View Full Version : Subservient

culturalblonde
03-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Barbara Walters of

20/20 (USA-ABC Television) did a story on gender roles in Kabul, Afghanistan, several years before the Afghan

conflict. She noted that women customarily walked 5 paces behind their husbands.

She recently returned to

Kabul and observed that women still walk behind their husbands. From Ms. Walters vantage point, despite the

overthrow of the oppressive Taliban regime, the women now seem to walk even further back behind their husbands and

are happy to maintain the old custom.
Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, "Why do you now

seem happy with the old custom that you once tried so desperately to change?"

The woman looked Ms. Walters

straight in the eyes and without hesitation, said "Land mines."

DrSmellThis
03-21-2005, 03:03 PM
:) Did this really happen?!

culturalblonde
03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't know. :think:

Pancho1188
03-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Land mines go off for years

after a war is over. I remember hearing about people getting hurt or killed from either Vietnam or Korean War land

mines as recently as a half-dozen years ago.

As for Barbara Walters, does she do that type of reporting? I only

know her for doing the big interviews with famous people, but I don't know much about news people. I'm still

trying to figure out how Geraldo was able to switch from one of the craziest pre-Springer talk shows to do

legitimate news...

Mtnjim
03-25-2005, 04:39 PM
:) Did this

really happen?!
During the Viet Nam war the story was the women went from walking behind their husbands

to several paces in front of them, same reason.:think:

tim929
04-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Facinating bit for you...My dad

was a bombardier in B-17's durring WWII.A certain percentage of the bombs dropped were intentionaly fused to go off

hours or even days AFTER they were dropped.The result was to make rescue and rebuilding efforts more

dangerous.Also,a certain percentage were duds as well.The end result is that even to this day,any major excavation

projects in German cities require that explosive ordinance disposal crews be on hand at the site to dispose of any

unexploded bombs safely.And if you were wondering if they are still dangerous...YES! nitro based explosives tend to

seperate over time into two parts.The inert bits that help make explosives stable enough to move around...and the

parts that the first ingrediants were stabilizing.As a result they tend to be more dangerous than recently

manufactured weapons.