PDA

View Full Version : What kind of vitamins/supplements u guys take

TDizzle
03-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Right now im taking a multi vitamin(health, helps supress the dark circles under my eyes), glucosamine

(for my bad knees), protein powder(muscle gain after lifting), and thinking about starting creatine before my

workout for the same reason.

What you guys take and for what reasons.

culturalblonde
03-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Beta-carotene for eyes,

zinc for immune, glucosamine for joints, fish oil for heart, melatonin for sleep, calcium w/ fiber for bone, flax

oil for cholesterol and
multi vitamin.

OOOPS, I didn't see the part about guys.

belgareth
03-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Ah, you're one of the guys

here.

Inositol for the liver, DMAE for general health and the brain, L-Arginine for the heart and circulatory,

Tribex for testosterone, Multi-vitamin for general health, protein drink with fruit and oatmeal for cholesterol and

'cause becuase it tastes good.

surfs_up
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
this has got to be the most innovative nutritional test I've ever heard of.... they test your living

white blood cells to determine what your nutrient requirements

are:

http://www.spectracell.com/OurServices-LabServices.htm

NaughtieGirl
04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Ready for a long

list?

- Multi-vitamin for obvious reasons
- Calcium for our bones
- Omega-3 for his heart and my skin
-

Vit C - anti-oxidant and Mom told me to take it
- Vit B-complex - depleted by alcohol and for extra energy
-

DHEA - to increase testosterone
- Glucosamine for joint health, sorely needed because we work out alot
- Saw

Palmeto him/ for his prostate
- Co-enzyme Q10 him/ to counter-act the statin medication
- Selenium - Heart,

anti-oxidant

And oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast - high protein for lunch and evenings are for relaxing

and splurging!

satyrboy
04-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Ambrotose by a company called

Mannatech. This company has atrocious bs pyrmaiding practices, btw. However, a friend of mine hasn't been sick in

about 6 years taking this stuff. I was getting a cold about every 3-6 weeks from my young daughter (18 months)

until I started taking this stuff about 4 months ago. The cold I had at the time ended and I've not been sick

since. I don't know if it's placebo effect or real, but don't much care. I'll continue to take the stuff if I

continue to not get sick.

Other than that I take a multivitamin.

CptKipling
04-04-2005, 06:40 AM
- zinc
- sometimes a

multivit
- protein shake (just started)
- 2g of vit C a day if I feel a cold coming on

Honestly, a better

approach to this kind of healthy living is to sort your diet out.

- limit junk and ready-made foods: obvious

reasons. You should really try to cut these completely from your diet, but it is hard
- good balance of fruit/veg

and meat: to provide a good balance of protein (AA's), fats etc.
- fish and nuts: omega-3's and other EFA's.

Brazil nuts are a good source of magnesium as well
- lots of varied fruit and veg.: to many benifits to list, vits

and fibre to name two.
- milk: calcium
- oats: fibre

There are exceptions (a lot have been listed here

already), but you can do a lot for your health this way.

And it's cheaper.

And it tastes better.

:D

NaughtieGirl
04-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Breakfast of my

champ:

- Oatmeal (Heart health, energy)
- Made with skim milk instead of water (calcium, protein)
- Wheat

bran (some more fiber)
- 1 TBsp ground flaxseed (heart)
- Blueberries (allegedly one of the healthiest foods on

earth - anti-oxidants)
- If no blueberries then maybe a couple of walnuts sprinkled on top
- Maybe a TBsp of

wheat germ (Vit A if I remember right)

It sticks to your ribs, tastes good and is very healthy.

Another

favorite here is:
Vegetable stir-fry (frozen mix of your choice)
With cubes of chicken or turkey
and tofu

(firmest kind)

Boiled cauliflower, blended with some cream added makes for a great imitation of mashed potatoes

(South Beach Diet recipe)

NaughtieGirl
04-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Here's my personal rule:

If it has alot of calories - It better taste darn good (like chocolate)
If it does not taste darn good - It

better be very healthy for me and/or have few calories in it

By applying this I have completely and forever

eliminated some foods - like fried stuff. This rule is customizable to any taste.

Aries1
04-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm in the process of trying to

lose weight so I currently take a multi-vitamin (specifically a One-A-Day Weight Smart along with the usual

vitamins, it also has green tea extract), 1 Vertia Herbal pill twice a day (for reproductive health), 3 tablespoons

of milled flax seed (a great source of Omega 3). I also take a phase 2 starch blocker to assist with weight loss.

For good measure, I've thrown in 30 minutes of exercize, three times a week. I'm thinking about switching my

multi-vitamin to the GNC Women's Ultra Mega.

a.k.a.
04-09-2005, 12:12 PM
multivatamin/mineral

DHEA
Ginko
Garlic
Saw Palmeto with English Hawthorn
Rice Protein

Wheat Grass
Flax Oil
and lots of antioxidatants: Turmeric, Ginger, Green Tea, Pomogranate Juice, Acai

Juice, Parsley etc.

Despite all this ā€” plus daily yoga and about 10hrs moderate cardio/week ā€” Iā€™m still

getting older.
Anybody know of a cure?

Holmes
04-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Vampirism.

CptKipling
04-09-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm in the

process of trying to lose weight so I currently take a multi-vitamin (specifically a One-A-Day Weight Smart along

with the usual vitamins, it also has green tea extract), 1 Vertia Herbal pill twice a day (for reproductive health),

3 tablespoons of milled flax seed (a great source of Omega 3). I also take a phase 2 starch blocker to assist with

weight loss. For good measure, I've thrown in 30 minutes of exercize, three times a week. I'm thinking about

switching my multi-vitamin to the GNC Women's Ultra Mega.
Aim to increase the amount if exercise you do

over time. Make sure it stays hard; if it's hard, your body is still having to adapt to accomodate the change and

(depending on your routine) this should make you leaner, increase your metabolism, increase bone density, etc.

Pancho1188
04-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Anybody

know of a cure?
Some people think buying expensive cars, ditching their wives/gfs for young women, dying

their hair, quitting their jobs, and disowning their previous direction in life helps.

Bruce
04-10-2005, 09:51 AM
NG, your breaky looks great. I

could use one of those right now.

Folks, you would literally not believe all the supplements I take day in

and day out. I want to get my entire ritual down in print one of these days soon, but to give you a general idea of

the severity:
- I eat only vegetarian food and (almost) only organically grown stuff, mostly raw food
- I fast

every Monday until evening when I have a large organic vege juice, green super food yada yada shake that would make

most folks barf just to look at it
- I drink only spring water and boatloads of it every day

B

Aries1
04-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Aim to increase

the amount if exercise you do over time. Make sure it stays hard; if it's hard, your body is still having to adapt

to accomodate the change and (depending on your routine) this should make you leaner, increase your metabolism,

increase bone density, etc.

Thanks for the advice... :thumbsup: I started exercising back in January

when the weight loss from dieting alone started to slow. Now that I have a routine I enjoy, I actually look forward

to exercising. :D

HK45Mark23
04-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Any one use Shaklee?

HK45Mark23

CptKipling
04-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the

advice... :thumbsup: I started exercising back in January when the weight loss from dieting alone started to slow.

Now that I have a routine I enjoy, I actually look forward to exercising. :D
I hope you continue to enjoy

exercising, keep up the good work!

NaughtieGirl
04-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Folks, you

would literally not believe all the supplements I take day in and day out. I want to get my entire ritual down in

print one of these days soon, but to give you a general idea of the severity:
- I eat only vegetarian food and

(almost) only organically grown stuff, mostly raw food
- I fast every Monday until evening when I have a large

organic vege juice, green super food yada yada shake that would make most folks barf just to look at it
- I drink

only spring water and boatloads of it every day

B
I'd love to hear a good shake recipe! I've dabbled

a little with it. But so far only nonfat yogurt and fruit based + compatible ingredients (soy protein etc). Once you

start with shakes, it literally makes Slimfast look like junk food!

neuf08
06-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Right now I take a good quality

multivitamin, protein powder, a probiotic, B Complex, fish oil, and vitamin D during cold and flu season. I think

taking a good quality supplement is just as important as choosing which supplements to take. For my multi, I use the

Rainbow Light brand. All of their vitamins are food based, which are more easily digested and absorbed into the body

than synthetic vitamins. They make a good <link deleted> and <link deleted> vitamin, which is nice because you only

need to take one pill.

Rbt
06-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Oh... 2005. Talk about a "zombie"

thread...

Although our most recent poster sounds like someone pushing a product, I will chime in by saying that

as an old guy, I still pretty much limit my suppliment intake to just a couple of basic multivitamins and a half

tablet of a super B complex (watching my B12 especially) a week. I realized I am already getting a passle of

"natural" viatmins in the foods I eat (besides the added ones they put in during processing some foods).

There

seems to be plenty of solid evidence from trusted sources that are now saying that a daily multi is really a waste

(just get "expensive urine"), and that even the synthetic vitamins, although perhaps not as well absorbed, still

provide sufficient levels. (I don't think many of us are complaining about our synthetic pheromones now are we?).

It would be nice if there were ways of cheap efficient and effective vitamin level testing to see where our

bodies stand so to speak. But like most anything in medicine, most things are based on opinion. Those "Minimum Daily

Requirements" are primarily conjecture ("SWAG" - Scientific Wild-Ass Guess) anyway, and seem to be subject to

frequent change (although not "officially").

Even here with vitamins and suppliments I would tread carefully.

There is danger in getting far too much, perhaps more than in getting too little. Listening to your own body, and

taking things one small step at a time is far better than just blindly following someone else's "opinion."

And those are some of MY opinions...:)

Numanoid
08-07-2010, 03:45 PM
These days - fish oil, folic acid and vitamin C. I also take Chinese ginseng/royal jelly mix

and shou wu chih, a subtle yet remarkable herbal drink which the Chinese say is a longevity

tonic.