PDA

View Full Version : Who's with me?

soundselectah
03-15-2005, 05:33 PM
hi everyone i'm

new to this board and wondered if there were any Andrea Bocelli fans out there! I have been obsessed with his last

album "Andrea" because it has helped me get over a big break up!!

a.k.a.
03-16-2005, 10:23 PM
He’s very good at what he does and

appears to put a lot of heart into his songs. But I can’t relate to his music. It doesn’t move me.

On

the other hand. I know what it’s like to fixate on a CD when it speaks to your emotions. I must have listened to Ani

Difranco’s “Dilate” 1,000 times after my wife left me. (All her new stuff seems bland though.)

Holmes
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
A wonderful singer who clearly

didn't make it on his looks.

(It was the shoes.)

soundselectah
03-17-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm so happy that you guys know who Andrea Bocelli is, I'm so happy. I thought that I was

the only one around my age who likes him. That was so funny....whew!....By the way guys, I saw in his site that he

is gonna have a world tour this year '05 and I'm sooo excited! Did you guys know that he was blind?

Bruce
03-24-2005, 08:29 AM
I terribly miss the days of being

deeply into music. I went to music school in Boston during the late 80s early 90s and I was never seen without

headphones on. I lived in my own world. Sometimes I would wear foam earplugs under my headphones and crank up the

music louder, just to shut out the city noises more effectively. Nowadays, I can't seem to find anything I like;

kind of sad. I have a killer sounds system on my computer and an ipod, but I rarely use them. Recently, I bought

some environmental sounds, meditation music, sort of musak CDs that I loaded into my computer. That is nice to run

in the background and stay chilled through the day, but it's still not like the good ol' days. Sometimes I wonder

what the heck I used to listen too. I changed and evolved so quickly and effortlessly. I never really thought

about it much. Pat Metheny comes to mind. Andreas Vollenweider, Jean Luc Ponty, John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu

Orchestra), Al Dimeola. Lots of Jazz/fusion, but also bluegrass and barouque music. I was hungry for good music of

all genres and devored it all without hesitation. I fell asleep listening to music and switched it on first thing

when I woke up.

What the heck happened to me!!!!!!??????? :-(
Help!
Bruce

Holmes
03-24-2005, 09:44 AM
I feel your pain, Berklee brutha.

:D

But there's always cool new stuff.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck I used to listen too. I

changed and evolved so quickly and effortlessly. I never really thought about it much.

Same here.

Moving forward is good. There's nothing worse than the hopeless fuzoid agoraphobia of "it's all sucked since the

70s."

Though lately I have been dipping back into the archives (which include a couple of the names you

mentioned).

DrSmellThis
03-24-2005, 10:03 AM
What if it really has

all sucked since the 70's?

There's great stuff, just not much in mainstream pop. There are no Jethro Tulls.

You have to find corners of specialty (e.g., world music, experimental/electronic). These days I think fusion tends

to be lumped together with "prog," which is still alive but unpopular. Most of the old guys still tour, but you have

to be in a metropolitan area. I'd love to catch up with Allan Holdsworth (who was brilliant on Ponty's Enigmatic

Ocean, but more brilliant alone). The best thing about Portland is the live music scene.

Bruce
03-24-2005, 10:56 AM
The 70s, now that's another story

altogether! I tried to go back, but it didn't work. I took my wife to a used CD shop once and ended up with an

arm load of T-Rex, James Gang, Cactus, Jeff Beck, Blind Faith and on and on. We were on a long road trip and I made

everybody listen to them in the car. I could sing along with all the songs, but once we got back to Eugene, they

never got listened too again. My wife is a big U2 fan, but I can't get take them for even 5 minutes. Really

don't get it.

But, heck, I was still dialed in during the 80s and 90s. There was tons of fresh stuff to

listen to, tons.

B

InternationalPlayboy
03-24-2005, 01:40 PM
barouque music

If it sounds good that way, imagine how it'd be if it wasn't baroquen.

:D

Sorry, that stupid joke always comes to mind when I hear the word, "baroque."

I

feel the same way as you Bruce. What happened? I was a big music fan in the 1970s, thought the ideal job would be

one in a record store. But somewhere in the late 1980s, music changed. It's either rap or "American Idol" style.

And I wasn't just a hard core hippie rocker. I listened to many styles. Country and western. :) Actually,

when country became the new pop, I couldn't listen to it anymore either. I liked the old rockabilly guys, Johnny

Cash, Roy Orbison, and crossovers like Hoyt Axton. Country rock group Dr. Hook was one of my favorites, though my

main man was Alice Cooper, followed by Frank Zappa, especially the two albums that Jean Luc Ponty was featured on,

"Overnight Sensation" and "Apostrophe'."

Now most music I buy is either to replace something in my LP

collection, real oddball stuff, or independently produced stuff by performers I might happen to see in a nightclub

or have heard of through a recommendation. I have started to like a little bit of rap, which I used to refer to as

(c)rap music. After seeing "Hey Ya" performed on either Letterman or Conan, I bought Speakerbox/The Love Below, but

there's a lot on the album I didn't like and I quickly grew tired of it. Aside from the 1970s era stuff Im slowly

getting on CD, a big favorite now is a rapper, Afroman. Bought a used, expurgated version of his CD "The Good Times"

and I got hooked. He's clever and talented, plays guitar and actually sings sometimes. Explicit lyrics to the max

though. I think the partying theme of his music brings me back once again to the 1970s, when it was a carefree time

for me. I'm also starting to like Eastern Indian styles too. I think it's the meditation thing as the CDs in that

vein have been produced by followers of my meditation teacher.

But like you, I just don't listen to music as

much as I did. Mainly on road trips, during long baths, and I have some songs on an MP3 player that I wear on health

walks. And I also prefer the new agey stuff for backround music at work. I used to fight all the time with

cow-orkers, who had to have a loud, driving beat going constantly, which distracts my concentration. And they would

play a radio station that played the same ten or so songs over and over and over. Even when I showed them that I

could tell the time by what song was playing, they still listened to it. Then again, I don't like going into noisy

stores or restaurants either, where the piped in music is so loud that you have to almost shout to be

heard.

I guess I'm getting old.

Flash1
03-24-2005, 02:03 PM
great album...............

Holmes
03-24-2005, 03:05 PM
But, heck, I was

still dialed in during the 80s and 90s. There was tons of fresh stuff to listen to, tons.

My 70s

reference wasn't aimed at you. :lol: I was thinking of those for whom the state of "real music" ended with demise

of the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.

Doc - well-taken.

You have to find corners of

specialty (e.g., world music, experimental/electronic).

That's kind of what I meant when I said that

there was always cool new stuff. It's just that, increasingly, you have to venture off the beaten path to find it.

But occasionally, even nowadays, it will hit the mainstream and you'll get a Jack Johnson or an India.Arie or

whomever. Someone who is honest, rootsy, and compelling, who isn't the norm. They do show up, but they're becoming

fewer and farther between.

No, there are no Tulls (and no Ians). No Zappas, either. Not even close (except

for the Dweeze). It's a real shame.

Ditto on Holdsworth. It was great when he was with Level 42 for those

five glorious minutes...

DrSmellThis
03-25-2005, 11:35 AM
I recall nothing about level

42, but Holdsworth is an all time fave guitarist who I've seen a couple times. I was dialed in in the 80's and

90's to a lesser extent, but always felt that pop was becoming more useless. It's a shame. But there are

exceptions. They are just harder to find, though numerous. I have trouble keeping a finger on the pulse of anything

these days, since there are no supergroups, and since everybody that's ever sung in the shower has several CD's (I

also have shower video in case anyone is interested :) I was going wild with an exfoliating face wash.).

a.k.a.
03-25-2005, 03:44 PM
I wonder if you guys aren’t just

lamenting the loss of depth and richness that comes with digital production. (On the other hand, you’ve got to admit

that the clarity and precision is much better.) Another factor might be that nobody really jams anymore.
I

don’t think musicians have gotten any worse.

There’ll never be another Zappa, Jeff Beck, or Blind Faith.

But you could say the same about DJ Spooky, Thurston Moore or Rage Against the Machine.

a.k.a.
03-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Bruce, I went through a similar

slump with novels. Nothing seemed to stimulate me anymore. Then I signed up for a writing workshop, tried to write

my own stuff, failed miserably and now have a new appreciation for authors I’ve never heard of before.

Maybe you could find some people to jam with, or even start playing around with Apple’s “Garage Band”. It’s a great

little application.

Holmes
03-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Another factor might

be that nobody really jams anymore.

Even the jamband movement of the 90s lost steam.

a.k.a.
03-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Even the jamband

movement of the 90s lost steam.

Built to Spill and Sonic Youth are the only bands I know of that

still do that sort of thing.

Mtnjim
03-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I miss Lawrence Welk! sniff sniff

"Ana one ana two":cheers:

a.k.a.
03-25-2005, 05:41 PM
I miss Lawrence Welk!

sniff sniff

"Ana one ana two":cheers:

I loved the tap dancer. Saw him in a movie years

ago. Wonder if he’s still alive.

bindy
03-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi Soundselectah,

I was a fan

of Andrea Boccelli, and still like his music, but don't listen to it often because I have a teen and a pre-teen,

and have found that I love the music they listen to, so that's what I'm into now. More pop than rock. I went to

a Sarah Brightman concert several years ago, and Andrea Boccelli came to town shortly thereafter, but the cheapest

ticket was $350! Ouch, can't afford that with 4 kids!

Anyway, as for "going back", as Bruce put it, I could

never go back. I have tried listening to the oldies, it's what my husband loves. I have tried, and just can't

seem to get into it. I find the kids music very sexually charged, and I love that, it really turns me on.

Destiny's Child, Maroon 5, Usher, Alicia Keys.......etc...

I used to love to listen to Barry White, Marvin

Gaye, and other soulful sounds to get in the mood, but don't so much anymore.
Bindy

a.k.a.
03-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Destiny's Child,

Maroon 5, Usher, Alicia Keys.......etc...

I used to love to listen to Barry White, Marvin Gaye, and other

soulful sounds to get in the mood, but don't so much anymore.
Bindy

I saw Alicia Keys in concert

earlier this month. Great show! She started out with some of her own stuff and finished off with some REAL oldies:

Cab Calaway, Billie Holiday, Duke Elington... (Not to mention those legs. Ouch!)

I know lots of women

that still like Berry White, but I don’t think I’ve ever met a guy that could get into him. (His songs sound silly

to me.)
Marvin Gaye on the other hand... I listen to more of his stuff now than I did when he was popular.

Holmes
03-31-2005, 10:43 PM
I know lots of women

that still like Berry White

I loved the man. "I wouldn't stop for a million bucks..." Prime

funk.

Alicia Keys is dramatically better live than on record.

Cab Calaway, Billie Holiday,

Duke Elington...

Now you're speaking my language.

NaughtieGirl
04-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi

Soundselectah,

I was a fan of Andrea Boccelli, and still like his music, but don't listen to it often because

I have a teen and a pre-teen, and have found that I love the music they listen to, so that's what I'm into now.

More pop than rock. I went to a Sarah Brightman concert several years ago, and Andrea Boccelli came to town shortly

thereafter, but the cheapest ticket was $350! Ouch, can't afford that with 4 kids!

Anyway, as for "going

back", as Bruce put it, I could never go back. I have tried listening to the oldies, it's what my husband loves. I

have tried, and just can't seem to get into it. I find the kids music very sexually charged, and I love that, it

really turns me on. Destiny's Child, Maroon 5, Usher, Alicia Keys.......etc...

I used to love to listen to

Barry White, Marvin Gaye, and other soulful sounds to get in the mood, but don't so much anymore.
Bindy

Bindy, we're alike that way. I own every single Boccelli cd up untill Tuscan sth or other. The kids music is

fun, and yes I too like the sexual charge of it. It motivates me to go work out, to stay young.

Besides, when

I was young, I was hugely into Pink Floyd. We only had one record player and it was in the living room. My parents

never objected to me blasting my music through the house. Now wasn't that great of them! So I want to be as

open-minded with my kids music. The songs might sometimes be simplistic, but on the up-side, their shelf-life is

very short.

oh BTW Does anyone own Enigma? Their first cd is not too shabby.

Pancho1188
04-01-2005, 11:51 AM
oh BTW

Does anyone own Enigma? Their first cd is not too shabby.
My thoughts on Enigma are ambiguous and

inexplicable... :lol:

NaughtieGirl
04-02-2005, 02:01 PM
My

thoughts on Enigma are ambiguous and inexplicable... :lol: As well they should be!

Maybe we could

all suggest one good cd and then we'd end up with an interesting list?
My nomination at this point would be

Enigma. My alltime favorite is Pink Floyd's Wish you Were Here.

Holmes
04-02-2005, 02:24 PM
How's

about a top 5 or 10 list?

I'd be curious as to everyone's tastes.

wood elf
04-02-2005, 03:24 PM
As well they

should be!

Maybe we could all suggest one good cd and then we'd end up with an interesting list?
My

nomination at this point would be Enigma. My alltime favorite is Pink Floyd's Wish you Were Here.
Wish

you were here is a great CD but so is Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. I would have a hard time choosing between

them. Have you heard Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth? You can lose yourself in it. Many of the

Moody Blues CDs are good as well.

DrSmellThis
04-02-2005, 09:43 PM
I love anything by Pink Floyd.

They added an incredible amount to the history of pop music. The Wall was perhaps the best rock movie ever.