PDA

View Full Version : Essential oils as deodorant for women?

silksand
03-13-2005, 09:10 AM
I read with interest Dr.SmellThis' posts about EOs, particularly sandalwood, to replace commerical deodorants for

men. My husband dislikes sandalwood (strange, I know) and I wonder if DST or anyone else might have recommendations

regarding which EOs would be a good substitute for a woman? I've tried Sweet Orange EO, which is kind of nice -

maybe Ylang Ylang?

(posting this here because the women's side is so much quieter nowadays)

DrSmellThis
03-13-2005, 11:39 AM
A combination of vetiver (also

by itself) and vanilla would work, as well as amber and/or patchouli. Oak moss is another possibility. You have to

smell them and get something you like. Amber would be the safest. Balsam could also be used.

Orange will go sour

in your pits.

Ylang might sour, but not as bad, especially if mixed with one or more of the oils I mentioned.

silksand
03-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks, doc! I *never* would

have come up with vetiver and vanilla; that sounds lovely. I love amber and balsam, and also like patchouli though

I'd want it well-blended, otherwise it goes all hippie-girl on me, and I've left that esthetic behind for some

decades now. I'll experiment with some blends.

I"ve tried using jojoba as a carrier oil in a ratio of about

1 part EO: 6 parts carrier, and while this was gentler to the skin, it did not seem as effective in inhibiting odor.

Maybe I'll try closer to 1:2 next time - or what ratio do you find effective?

DrSmellThis
03-13-2005, 12:55 PM
The best thing to do if you like patchouli is to buy a big supply of the richest smelling one

you can find, and store it for a year before using it by itself. When it ages it smells sweet and wine like -- not

at all what people associate it with. Then you can use it by itself in small quantities, and it smells wonderful.

In the mean time you can mix patchouli with any of the oils I mentioned.