PDA

View Full Version : CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid)

InternationalPlayboy
03-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Anyone have any success with this stuff? The claim is:

*CLA has been shown to play a

vital role in reducing body fat and increasing muscle tone according to human clinical studies.

*The FDA has

not evaluated this statement.

I remember reading somewhere that it is more effective if you obtain it

from eating grass fed beef** than from capsule form. I was taking Tonalin CLA last year but got sidetracked and

stopped before really seeing any results. Just found a half bottle of the stuff that I forgot I had at work. I think

I'll use it up but am interested in hearing anyone elses experience with the stuff before I decide to buy some

more. IIRC, it takes two or three months of daily intake before you see results. I have lost about 20 pounds this

winter through diet and exercise but have hit a plateau and am looking for a boost, if anything is out

there.

**Good excuse to eate Kobe beef. :) I tried that for the first time last fall. Good stuff! The best

steak I've ever had. But prohibitively expensive. Before I ate it in the restaurant, I was tempted to order some

through the Net until I read that it must be prepared properly or it can be worse than regular beef.

satyrboy
03-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Bad idea.
There was a very

good review on this stuff about a year ago in the peer review lit. (I'll try and find and post the link)
Bottom

line:
results in human data are variable at best
it's great for rodents who want to lose weight
It probably

worsens insulin resistance(exactly what you DON'T want)

InternationalPlayboy
03-10-2005, 02:15 PM
It

probably worsens insulin resistance(exactly what you DON'T want)

Not good. The doctor was

threatening me with diabetes last year, so far I'm ok there. I think the weight loss helped.

DumLuc
03-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Tonalin

CLA Review | Tonalin CLA Side Effects and Benefits (http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/weight-loss-etc/CLA-side-effects.htm)

Just finished my first

bottle. It's relatively inexpensive and seems like it deserves a fair shot;so I'll go through at least another

bottle.

NaughtieGirl
03-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Diet and weight loss - You're on my turf now InternationalPlayboy!

I tried CLA as well, but it

didn't seem to do much, so I gave up on it. I had too many other worthwhile supplements to take. Calcium is also

reputed to help in weightloss, as is low fat dairy (probably the calcium) and yes - one grapefruit a day.

- I

read that it is normal for the body to reach a plateau after about 10% loss of total body weight. Stick with what

you were doing, and it'll start going down again.

Other tips:
- I fill 2 bottles of water (1 quart each) and

need to have them empty by end of day. Who has time to count 8 glasses of water. Add one quart during your work-out

session.
- Cardio - cardio - cardio! Heart rate 65 to 75%. Do you have a heart rate monitor?
- Smaller meals

every 3 to 4 hours rather than large meals.
- Eat breakfast! I eat lots of carbs in the AM cause they give me

energy and try to go for more protein in the PM.
- No matter what the diet books say, find a style/compromise that

fits you.

But hey - you're already doing great! Congratulations on the 20 lbs - that's quite a bit! Feel free

to ask more questions. I have read every single book on the subject!

Naughtie (5'6'' - 125 lbs - need to go

back down to 120 though)

satyrboy
03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I was talking about peer review

lit. Int journal obesity and metabolism, nutrition, Am J Nutr, and obesity have all had articles on CLA in the last

4 or 5 years.
Problem is that the findings are scattered. There's a year long safety study that shows no

downside, there's a few reviews of the entire lit that highlight the inconsistency of findings, there're in fact a

few articles that suggest a positive effect of CLA, etc.
My concern was the finding in a few studies that it may

increase insulin resistance. I'll be checking back on the lit in a few years and see if it's changed.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to watch calories and work out.
I've gone from 232 to about 195. I'm heading for

165ish. (I'm short at 5'6") We'll see though, I've put on a bit of muscle this last year or so.

satyrboy
03-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Incidentally I would not trust

"research" from a company that markets the product studied.

DumLuc
03-10-2005, 03:49 PM
These PDF files give

some interesting information. Looks like CLA might help prevent some forms of

cancer.

CLA

Abstracts (http://www.heranswer.com/PDF/abstracts.pdf)

Journal of Nutrition

Study (http://www.heranswer.com/PDF/journalofnutrition.pdf)

Int

ernational Journal of Obesity Study (http://www.heranswer.com/PDF/journalofobesity.pdf)

Additional references on CLA are available

here (http://www.wisc.edu/fri/clarefs.htm#99)

MOBLEYC57
03-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I was going to try CLA, but

chickened out. Taking too much stuff just doesn't sound right.

I'm jumping on the BSN wagon starting Monday.

I'm in need of losing a few pounds meself! At 291 lbs, I'm starting to sport that BUDDA look. :frustrate

Way

to go INTERNATIONALPB! :cheers:

wood elf
03-10-2005, 05:53 PM
I I'm in

need of losing a few pounds meself! At 291 lbs, I'm starting to sport that BUDDA look. :frustrate

:cheers:
The body of a god...

Budda! :lol:

I'm sorry, that was irresistable.

satyrboy
03-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Mobley,
how tall are you?