PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Whitening

CollegeStudent
02-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Theres some old

posts on here about this topic, but they are... old :) What recent experiences have people had with professional

and home teeth whitening? Does anyone know the cost of the professional centers these days? Is there any good home

stuff out now?

I have used the Nite White Turbo home kits, go on Ebay for about $30. So far those are the

fastest ones I have ever seen. 2 Nights and your teeth are ivory. The BAD BAD thing about it is that it leaves

your teeth sensitive ALL DAY!!!! And its not the "spiking" sensitive like bio says in his post (though it can be if

you drink something cold) its the annoying sensitive, but its so bad that you wanna smash your head against the wall

and knock your teeth out. Pain killers do NOT hamper that sensitivity either (why on earth is that?). Thats why I

dont use it much anymore.

cig3f
02-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Holmes
02-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I've only used the Crest

Whitestrips so far. They do a great job, but the effect doesn't seem last that long. Probably gonna end up going

with Brite Smile.

Be careful as to what home kit you choose. A lot of those will eat through the enamel like

nobody's business, possibly resulting in damaged choppers.

I know a couple of unfortunates who used these

home kits and ended up with a chipped (or cracked) tooth.

DCW
02-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Try salt and baking soda, you will be

surprised at the results.

DCW

CollegeStudent
03-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Ok, So Im thinking about

doing the professional whitening job. Is Brite Smile the best? Also someone mentioned that it doesnt make your

teeth really sensitive like the home kits do. Is that right? How does it work? I imagine they put you in a

dentist chair, have something that holds your mouth open, apply some form of gel and use UV light to make its

reaction 20x as fast as standalone? Something like 3 sets of 20 min sessions back to back for 1 hour total? How

much does it run? Thanks guys.

cig3f
03-14-2005, 09:44 PM
CS,

Since my impressions,

upper and lower trays, and box of 4 Opalescence 20% syringes cost $250, then the light whitening treatment costs

$250 in the $500 package deal they offered me. As an update, I have been brushing with Sensodyne, and my teeth are

not as sensitive when whitening the last few times. Furthermore, I performed some research and found Ultra EZ

desensitizing gel can be put in the trays to seal the microscopic dentin tubules exposed via enamel loss just as the

toothpaste does.

Mtnjim
03-15-2005, 11:41 AM
"Ok, So Im thinking about doing the

professional whitening job. Is Brite Smile the best? Also someone mentioned that it doesnt make your teeth really

sensitive like the home kits do. Is that right?"

I had Brite Smile done at my dentist's office. It's good

at whitening. You'll be offered some pain killer afterward (at least I was). You will feel waves of "discomfort"

for about 24 hours, I didn't need the pain killer, YMMV.

"How does it work? I imagine they put you in a

dentist chair, have something that holds your mouth open, apply some form of gel and use UV light to make its

reaction 20x as fast as standalone? Something like 3 sets of 20 min sessions back to back for 1 hour total?"

First they put on a gell that hardens into a protective shield for your gums and lips. Then they apply the whitening

gell to your teeth. They then stick a lamp in your mouth and you have to sit perfictly still for about 20 minutes.

After that time, they come back and apply more gell. and repeat again for a total of about 1 hour.

"How

much does it run? Thanks guys."

Used to be $500-600, but now I'm seeing it advertised for about $350.

It definately isn't something I'd take up as a hobby, but it won't kill ya either.

(By the way, I was

flossing out little chunks of blue plastic-from the shield after they pulled it off- for three days)

Holmes
03-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Painkillers? Waves of

discomfort?

How bad is it?

Mtnjim
03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Painkillers? Waves of

discomfort?

How bad is it?
Sort of a dull ache that comes and goes, not that bad, though some people

want pain killers.:cheers: