PDA

View Full Version : The Forum

Bruce
11-24-2001, 02:38 PM
Hi All,
The forum is starting to act up pretty badly. I myself have been unable to get on the board at all for the last 2 days. I kept getting an error message that the \"document contains no data.\" I was surprised to see that there have been continuous posts during this entire time, so maybe I was the only one with the problem. Anyone else get blocked out like that?
Hrmm...
Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
11-24-2001, 03:01 PM
I was blocked out all yesterday. I suggest you get vBulletin (based on PHP) which I believe is about $200 and can be found at www.vbulletin.com (\"http://www.vbulletin.com\") . It has a very big customer base so help is widely available and they even have a message board for fast answers.

Another solution which is free and also based on PHP, is phpBB which can be found at www.phpbb.com. (\"http://www.phpbb.com.\") Very nice, but free so don\'t expect as good of support as vB.

Both look a lot like UBB and have a more loyal and active customer base.
They use PHP and databases (ie MySQL) so they are faster, too. Anyway, if you need more info about bulletin boards, go to www.hotscripts.com (\"http://www.hotscripts.com\") and look under some of the languages, then under BBS systems.

You may want to use ASP or Perl. ASP is run on Windows platform, Perl on everything, and PHP on everything (if a host wants to).

Email me for more help images/icons/laugh.gif.

------
Edited URLs

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Person ]

Bruce
11-24-2001, 03:27 PM
Hi Person,
Thanks for the info. It is amazing how fast the technology has moved along. Last time I looked into it, UBB (current board) was as good as it gets. I have a UNIX server, so ASP is out. PHP with MySQL looks great. I don\'t mind paying the $160. but the hard part is getting all the posts moved over. With the chaos we are faced with now, we may just have to start from scratch.

By the way, how do I e-mail you? I don\'t see your address listed. Can you drop me an e-mail?
bruce@love-scent.com
Thanks again,
Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
11-24-2001, 04:22 PM
Bruce,

You received the \"document contains no data\" message because the script that runs the board was generating a blank home page. Did you try going into the admin section of the board? If you could get in there, reindexing the forums may solve the problem you were having.

Infopop has a newer version of the software and it has some bug fixes. I\'d recommend trying an upgrade before scrapping the whole board.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-24-2001, 05:04 PM
Bruce - Yeah I got blocked out all day yeterday. I was actually thinking that you are trying to fix the Phero Talk so no one is allowed to access the forum. This is a great forum and it would be hard for everyone if we start from scratch again. Hope you can get all the help you need! images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
11-25-2001, 12:50 AM
I got blocked out for the last two days, i found a way in thoght went back to the history section. Im using IE 5.5 and got into it that way and now everything is fine but it sounds like the problem was wide ranging actually.
Hopefully the problems can be ironed out pretty easily.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-25-2001, 06:32 AM
I have had some problems with the board as of late myself. I just thought it was my browser.

Bruce, I have used vBulletin on a couple of sites that I run in the past, and it has an import feature that will take all the post from whatever board you were previously using and convert them to vBulletin so that you won\'t have to start all over again. Check out thier official website for more.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-25-2001, 11:27 PM
I didn\'t enter the forum the last two days, too.

I use the Konqueror web browser on Linux, and on it just appeared a blank page.

Bruce, what UNIX are you using? I just had a thought that you could use a free or semi-free equivalent of your current software if you run it on the Linux operating system. It is UNIX like -without the heavy list price attached- and there are a lot of programs for UNIX that run seamessly on Linux, or, better yet, great tools that are specifically written for this platform.

Since you are already on UNIX, it would not be difficult for you to test the options available on Free/Open Source Software...