PDA

View Full Version : Arginine and Prostate Enlargement

bobbo
01-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi,

Anybody out there experience prostate enlargement/congestion while on arginine? I have a slightly

enlarged/congested prostate and started taking 4g a day of A-AKG, and experienced significant erectile gains.

However, it's my fourth or fifth day and now my prostate feels like it's going to explode!

Any explanation

for this? I thought that arginine was just an NO2 facilitator, but then I read somewhere that it was also a

stimulant as far as seminal fluid production, so could that be the cause? I really like taking it, it seems to

really help alot with erections, but I can't continue to if it's going to cause me discomfort.

thanks
bobbo

MOBLEYC57
01-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi,

Anybody

out there experience prostate enlargement/congestion while on arginine? I have a slightly enlarged/congested

prostate and started taking 4g a day of A-AKG, and experienced significant erectile gains. However, it's my fourth

or fifth day and now my prostate feels like it's going to explode!

Any explanation for this? I thought that

arginine was just an NO2 facilitator, but then I read somewhere that it was also a stimulant as far as seminal fluid

production, so could that be the cause? I really like taking it, it seems to really help alot with erections, but I

can't continue to if it's going to cause me discomfort.

thanks
bobbo
Doesn't sound like just

plain'ol arginine. What tis, and what tis in A-AKA, Bobbo? :think:

DumLuc
01-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Tracked this info down for you

bobbo:

Latest Scientific Information! NO2 Overview Some of you may be wondering about the safety and efficacy

of a new ingredient called arginine alpha ketoglutarate (AAKG). This is a synthetic molecule that has been made in

the laboratory and does not naturally exist in foods. While it contains arginine, the amount of arginine is

significantly less than the free from amino acid L-arginine. This is because the arginine in AAKG is attached to the

ketoglutarate moiety. a-ketoglutarate (a-KG) is an intermediary in the Krebs cycle and is synthesized from

oxalosuccinate and gives rise to succinyl-CoA. Technically AAKG would be called a a-keto analog of arginine. An

analog is a synthetic drug that is man made. While it is possible that the a-keto analog of L-arginine (AAKG) could

be formed in-vivo, researchers believe that this could only happen due to certain abnormalities of amino acid

metabolism that have been observed in patients with inborn enzymatic defects or blockage of the urea cycle.1 There

is some indication that there may be potential toxicity of the cyclic forms of the a-keto acids due to accumulation

under certain conditions, but without animal feeding studies or dose response studies, the safety profile of AAKG is

unknown.

It looks like aakg is primarily used by bodybuilders. You, bobbo, might want to tone down to a

straight l-arginine or what I use, l-arginine/l-ornithine. The l-arginine/l-ornithine combination is reported to be

more effective than just straight l-arginine. You just have to watch out for the l-ornithine if you have diabetes

or suffer from schizophrenia.

MOBLEYC57
01-28-2005, 05:51 AM
That's would be my guess, and 2

cent bet! :thumbsup: It's everything but L-Arginine that's causing the swelling.:whip:

DrSmellThis
01-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I believe there is a lot of

arginine in seminal fluid, so that you could be experiencing an increase in seminal fluid in your prostate -- which

might aggravate any existing irritation. Just a guess...

I take one capsule l-arginine daily and this helps me,

though I'm not recommending this dose for anyone else. I'm just not sure I believe in the megadose thing. The

accumulation over time using small doses seems to work for me.

bobbo
01-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys, I think I've

narrowed it down to either an increase in seminal fluid from the megadose I was taking (4g a day), or the fact that

I MIGHT be borderline diabetic, because I read somewhere else that too much arginine could throw your insulin

production out of whack (too much or too little) - I was urinating ALOT after a few days on the megadose regimen,

not just frequently but also in large amounts.

I think I'll just try taking 1g a day and see if the side

effects re-occur. It's DEFINITELY something in the A-AKG, because I got similar side effects from taking plain

arginine a while ago - I just switched to A-AKG because supposedly it's just a stronger form of arginine. It gave

quick results, anyways (but also fast side effects).

If I find out anything new I'll post it - maybe

there's one or two people out there who might get the same problem and maybe then my mistakes will have been for a

reason!

thanks again

MOBLEYC57
02-05-2005, 06:37 PM
:type: We don't have a book

store here that sells cafe, so I drove about 45 minutes to Books-a-Million to get my cafe fix, and in the latest

issue of MuscularDevelopment, there was a comparison between AAKG and some other product. Don't know, but it said

that AAKG is toxin, and could be dangerous. You should take a peep. :sick:

MOBLEYC57
02-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Okay ... let me make that

perfectly clear ...

Muscular Development -

"AAKG is dangerous according to studies.

Research shows that AAKG is metabolized into glutamate. Glutamate is an excitotoxin. Excitoxins (notice the word

toxin, as in toxic for you :twisted: ) can cause damage to nerve cells (neural cells). Short story - AAKG may be

dangerous.":run:

MOBLEYC57
03-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Anybody seen Sue? :blink:

Bobbo, you still taking AAKG, and if so, any new thoughts on the product? :sick:

Thanks! :wave:

phersurf
03-15-2005, 11:36 AM
A-AKG sounds like bad

stuff!

Read the long post

here-

http://www.irontrybe.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2130.html

JosephCamel
03-25-2005, 10:12 PM
DrSmellThis, how many grams

of l-arginine do you take? I just started taking two 500mg capsules a day. Although, I read that the recommeded

dosage should be 3-6mg a day and results are cumulative.

DrSmellThis
03-26-2005, 10:33 AM
DrSmellThis, how many grams of l-arginine do you take? I just started taking two 500mg capsules

a day. Although, I read that the recommeded dosage should be 3-6mg a day and results are cumulative.Two

capsules is how much I take when I'm seeing someone, along with other things I do. I read that too much can have

the opposite effect from the one you're looking for. My experiences are consistent with that. At least a couple

studies have suggested that arginine supplementation was effective mainly for those with preexisting low blood

levels of it. It's hard for me to believe that you need that much of any one amino acid (9 500mg capsules a day?),

anyway, especially given that it's fairly plentiful in a meat-eater's diet anyway. Maybe somebody else has

different experiences with it, and likes to take more.

JosephCamel
04-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Well, I discontinued using

L-Arginine since I'm not seeing anyone. It made me too "happy" with no outlet. I'll take it the next time I might

be having an encounter. By the way, I was also taking ginseng along with it.