PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound familiar?

belgareth
01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Iran Says It Has Military Might to Deter Attack

Tue Jan 18, 1:28 PM ET World - Reuters

By Paul Hughes

TEHRAN (Reuters) -

Iran has the military might to deter attacks against it, Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani said, after President Bush

said he would not rule out military force against Iran over its nuclear program.

"We are able to say that we have strength such that no country can

attack us because they do not have precise information about our military capabilities due to our ability to

implement flexible strategies," the semi-official Mehr news agency quoted Shamkhani as saying Tuesday.

"We can claim that we have rapidly produced equipment that has

resulted in the greatest deterrent," he said, without elaborating.

In October, Iran announced successful trials of its Shahab-3 ballistic missile with a range of 1,250 miles,

putting parts of Europe, as well as Israel and U.S. bases in the Gulf, within reach.

Bush said Monday Washington would not rule out military action

against Iran -- which he has labeled as part of an "axis of evil" alongside Iraq (news - web sites) and North Korea

-- if it was not more forthcoming about its suspected nuclear weapons program.

Washington accuses Tehran of trying to acquire nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear program is aimed

solely at producing electricity.

The United States has toppled

regimes in Iran's neighbors Afghanistan and Iraq since the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001.

"Iran has no fear of foreign enemies' threats ... as they are very

well aware that the Islamic Republic is not a place for adventurism," the ISNA student news agency quoted

influential former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani as saying.

Bush's comments followed an article in the New Yorker magazine Sunday which said U.S. commando units were

conducting secret reconnaissance missions inside Iran to identify hidden nuclear and chemical sites for possible

strikes.

Pentagon officials have said the New Yorker report was

"riddled with errors."

EU ADVOCATES DIPLOMACY

The European Union insisted Tuesday

diplomacy was the right approach with Iran.

"We are seeking a

diplomatic solution. I think that is the right way to go," German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer told reporters in

the northern German city of Kiel.

Britain, Germany and France have

sought to persuade Tehran to give up technology that could be used to make nuclear warheads in return for incentives

such as trade deals and help with a civilian nuclear program.

European Commission external affairs spokeswoman Emma Udwin said: "We are working with our Iranian partners in

good faith as I trust they are working with us in good faith. We will pursue that path as long as it's possible and

fruitful to do so."

Russia defended Iran, its key nuclear energy

market in the Middle East, where it has been building a nuclear reactor since the early 1990s in a $1-billion

project.

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was quoted by the Interfax

news agency as saying: "I have no grounds to believe that the situation will get out of control and that the

peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program will be changed.

"Russia

and Iran have a specific dialogue going on to make sure Iran's nuclear program stays entirely peaceful."

Iran's Mehr news agency, which analysts say has close ties to the

office of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, ridiculed U.S. attempts to destabilize Iran since the 1979 Islamic

revolution.

"The United States is well aware that Iran has strongly

withstood U.S. pressure for over 25 years ... Today, the Islamic Republic has acquired massive military might, the

dimensions of which still remain unknown, and is prepared to attack any intruder with a fearsome rain of fire and

death," it said.

DrSmellThis
01-19-2005, 12:19 AM
They're just following

through; doing exactly what they said they would via the PNAC; in a nutshell: Forcibly establishing "US-friendly

governments" in key Middle Eastern countries; to cement a dominant world-role for ourselves, along with "stable" (a

term which presumes lasting submission or embracing their new governments and "freedom" by other countries, a

civilian neo-con presumption that our time in Iraq suggests is hopelessly false.) access to oil reserves; and

cheerfully lying through their teeth in denying it. I hope the American people realize they are being

"post-911-world bullshitted" in time to stop the next slaughter.

Picture this: we "half-assed take over" a few

more countries without broad international support, killing hundreds of thousands more people on top of the hundreds

of thousands we already have. We pull our troops out when the public and resource-realities demand it. Then we watch

all the "hornets' nests" explode.

belgareth
01-19-2005, 04:51 AM
That pretty much sums it up.

Let's add to it that another front is going to require more manpower and more money. If we open another front, the

"never going to happen" draft will become a reality and the budget deficit will grow by leaps and bounds again

resulting in further hardships in this country.

DrSmellThis
01-20-2005, 04:27 AM
If you listen

to Condi and George W speak these days, you will notice they are getting more emboldened to articulate their neo-con

imperialist philosophy. (It's the whole "voter mandate thing", plus the effects of insulation and lock-step loyalty

among themselves.)

This is the whole point behind their new "peace through freedom" slogan, for

example. I hope folks will start to get it. Just listen to the inauguration with this in mind. I haven't seen the

speech, but can guarantee this neo-con ideology will be embedded throughout.

What is "peace through freedom?"

You establish democracies in all the key hotspots, and everone will be happy with their new found freedom and

capitalist economies. Then the world will be peaceful. This is the absolute centerpiece of all current US foreign

policy.

It is a psychopathic idea animating a policy doomed to spectacular failure.

Notice how steadily the

rhetoric about Iran is escalating -- almost daily. Yet there is nothing new from Iran these days. It is just

predetermined that the rhetoric must escalate early in the second term. It is exactly like the bully who escalates

to violence no matter what you say to him -- indeed, even if you say nothing. The bully even accuses you of starting

the fight or threatening him -- right before he kicks the shit out of you.

Mtnjim
01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
"What is "peace through freedom?"

"

Simple, Do everything necessary to instigate Armageddon. Then Jesus will return and peace will

reign!!:hammer::hammer::POKE:

DrSmellThis
01-20-2005, 01:04 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) --

President Bush delivered his second inaugural address Thursday after being sworn in for a second term. This is a

(partial, edited by DST) transcript of his remarks:

"At this second gathering, our duties are defined

not by the words I use, but by the history we have seen together. For a half-century, America defended our own

freedom by standing watch on distant borders. After the shipwreck of communism came years of relative quiet, years

of repose, years of sabbatical -- and then there came a day of fire.

We have seen our vulnerability, and we have

seen its deepest source. For as long as whole regions of the world simmer in resentment and tyranny -- prone to

ideologies that feed hatred and excuse murder -- violence will gather, and multiply in destructive power, and cross

the most defended borders and raise a mortal threat.

There is only one force of history that can break the reign

of hatred and resentment and expose the pretensions of tyrants and reward the hopes of the decent and tolerant. And

that is the force of human freedom.

We are led, by events and common sense, to one conclusion: The survival of

liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands. The best hope for peace in our

world is the expansion of freedom in all the world.

America's vital interests and our deepest beliefs are now

one. From the day of our founding, we have proclaimed that every man and woman on this Earth has rights, and dignity

and matchless value because they bear the image of the maker of heaven and Earth.

Across the generations, we

have proclaimed the imperative of self-government, because no one is fit to be a master, and no one deserves to be a

slave. Advancing these ideals is the mission that created our nation. It is the honorable achievement of our

fathers. Now it is the urgent requirement of our nation's security and the calling of our time.

So it is the

policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation

and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world.

This is not primarily the task of arms,

though we will defend ourselves and our friends by force of arms when necessary. Freedom, by its nature, must be

chosen and defended by citizens and sustained by the rule of law and the protection of minorities. And when the soul

of a nation finally speaks, the institutions that arise may reflect customs and traditions very different from our

own.

America will not impose our own style of government on the unwilling. Our goal instead is to help others

find their own voice, attain their own freedom and make their own way.

The great objective of ending tyranny is

the concentrated work of generations. The difficulty of the task is no excuse for avoiding it. America's influence

is not unlimited, but fortunately for the oppressed, America's influence is considerable, and we will use it

confidently in freedom's cause.

My most solemn duty is to protect this nation and its people from further

attacks and emerging threats. Some have unwisely chosen to test America's resolve and have found it firm.

We

will persistently clarify the choice before every ruler and every nation -- the moral choice between oppression,

which is always wrong, and freedom, which is eternally right. America will not pretend that jailed dissidents prefer

their chains, or that women welcome humiliation and servitude or that any human being aspires to live at the mercy

of bullies.

We will encourage reform in other governments by making clear that success in our relations will

require the decent treatment of their own people. America's belief in human dignity will guide our policies. Yet,

rights must be more than the grudging concessions of dictators; they are secured by free dissent and the

participation of the governed. In the long run, there is no justice without freedom, and there can be no human

rights without human liberty.

Some, I know, have questioned the global appeal of liberty -- though this time in

history, four decades defined by the swiftest advance of freedom ever seen, is an odd time for doubt. Americans, of

all people, should never be surprised by the power of our ideals. Eventually, the call of freedom comes to every

mind and every soul. We do not accept the existence of permanent tyranny because we do not accept the possibility of

permanent slavery. Liberty will come to those who love it.

Today, America speaks anew to the peoples of the

world:

All who live in tyranny and hopelessness can know: The United States will not ignore your oppression, or

excuse your oppressors. When you stand for your liberty, we will stand with you.

Democratic reformers facing

repression, prison or exile can know: America sees you for who you are -- the future leaders of your free country.

The rulers of outlaw regimes can know that we still believe as Abraham Lincoln did: "Those who deny freedom to

others deserve it not for themselves; and, under the rule of a just God, cannot long retain it."

The leaders of

governments with long habits of control need to know: To serve your people you must learn to trust them. Start on

this journey of progress and justice, and America will walk at your side.

And all the allies of the United

States can know: We honor your friendship, we rely on your counsel, and we depend on your help. Division among free

nations is a primary goal of freedom's enemies. The concerted effort of free nations to promote democracy is a

prelude to our enemies' defeat.

... By our efforts, we have lit a fire as well -- a fire in the minds of men.

It warms those who feel its power, it burns those who fight its progress, and one day this untamed fire of freedom

will reach the darkest corners of our world.

A few Americans have accepted the hardest duties in this cause --

in the quiet work of intelligence and diplomacy ... the idealistic work of helping raise up free governments ... the

dangerous and necessary work of fighting our enemies.

... America, in this young century, proclaims liberty

throughout all the world and to all the inhabitants thereof..."

DrSmellThis
01-20-2005, 01:32 PM
If you

listen to Condi and George W speak these days, you will notice they are getting more emboldened to articulate their

neo-con imperialist philosophy...

This is the whole point behind their new "peace through

freedom" slogan, for example. I hope folks will start to get it. Just listen to the inauguration with this in

mind. I haven't seen the speech, but can guarantee this neo-con ideology will be embedded throughout.OK. I

am trying to follow through on my analysis, and prediction about what the inauguration speech would say.

I have

reproduced the relevant parts of the speech above for everyone's convenience. I am asking you all to please note

the themes embedded in the speech. You have to look beneath the pretty words, since every political speech, even

those by evil dictators, is carefully crafted to sound pretty:

* Note that the whole purpose of our

foreign policy according to Bush is to make "freedom" be everywhere. It's not about any of the other important

tasks people living together on the same planet have.

* Note the emphasis on the inevitability and destiny of it

all.

* Note that he wants us to believe, literally, that "our survival" depends on the advance of our

form of government and society in every single nook and cranny of the world. It's fight or die for us in this

respect. There will be lots of propaganda and brainwashing attempts about this over the next four years. Get

ready.

This was the exact same rationale used by Hitler against the Jews (see Mein Kampf). This

propaganda technique worked extremely well in convincing the German people to go along with him. In order to

convince humans to be OK with large scale killing, you have to make them believe their survival depends on it.

Note Bush's use of the term "enemy" to refer to any government and society that is not like ours.

* Note in the

last sentence that we are proclaiming that the whole rest of the world is hereby free. He's making a

"declaration of independence" for everyone everywhere. He is the official spokesperson for all human beings.

Note the prominent role of God in all this. God has decreed it so.

* Note the obligatory denial of the intention

to impose anything on unwilling folks. This is lying through the teeth.

* Note that this whole philosophy makes

the invasion of Iraq make perfect sense -- from within that philosophy, of course.

That was a chilling speech.

belgareth
01-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Other than a few different

words, this is the theme of our foreign policy for the last 60-70 years under every administration, except maybe

Jimmy Carter. We've used extortion, bribery, assasination and outright war time and again.

DrSmellThis
01-20-2005, 01:58 PM
You have a point. We were a

lot more isolationist before WWII. Then there was the wiping out of the American Indians, and "manifest destiny." We

were never really the good guys. The Truman Doctrine was another step, though not with the sinister element.

But

I would put it as a bit more gradual change, emergence, and solidifying of our "national philosophy", with this

point in history being the "pinnacle," so far. It's not just about bribery or assasination attempts, and at least

we had a treaty with South Viet Nam, with some felt obligation to protect them. But I agree we had a similar

attitude about communism as something that needed to be wiped out. But this business about unilaterally conquering

non-threatening countries that are minding their own business; and installing governments, to the tune of hundreds

of thousands dead, is new. Even if we somehow "fabricated Pearl Harbor", my own "history book" says it's worse now,

and especially bad during the last 25 years after Jimmy Carter. Some of the PNAC documents really cemented it.

At the very least, our corrupt leaders have gotten better -- with the help of advances in corporate culture and

technology -- at manifesting their imperialism. Can we at least say that much?

Regardless, the important thing

is to be responsible to the moment now, and not to fall into the trap of "Oh well, this is the way it's

always been. So what's on the TV?" We need to feel the reality of it emotionally, and help each other do this.

belgareth
01-20-2005, 03:11 PM
You know me better than to

think I would say "Oh well" about it. I will agree that the governments have got better at it, much to my disgust

and dismay. It goes right back to my belief that we, as a people, need to do something to rein in our government. It

is time for us to stop accepting the fallacious claim that domination of others is the solution.

DrSmellThis
01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
It is time

for us to stop accepting the fallacious claim that domination of others is the solution.Well said.

koolking1
01-20-2005, 04:30 PM
looks like some of my

wishes are going to come true - a return to the draft and an invasion/crippling of Iran. What I find amusing is the

propaganda required to implement both - why not just state the obvious? We were attacked 3 years ago and somebody

has to pay for it. I just hope the Bush kiddies volunteer for the Army first before they get drafted, it would say

a lot to me. HA HA HA HA HA

koolking1
01-20-2005, 04:33 PM
I did listen to the speech

today and found the exhortation to our young to be inspiring. I'm pretty sure the daughters of President Bush will

be the first in line to volunteer for the Army. I sure hope so as it might spare one of my two daughters from

having to go.

DrSmellThis
01-20-2005, 07:27 PM
If my daughter volunteers

I'll kidnap her and move us to France (the perfuming capital of the world.) I mean, um, I really hope she joyfully

heeds the President's call to duty. Installing freedom in every land is the supreme duty and destiny of our -- I

mean THEIR -- generation. Our Godly and moral leadership has decreed it so, and we would be treasonous to think

otherwise. It's God, COUNTRY and then family, after all.

I therefore honor President Bush's

upcoming sacrifices. I accordingly forgive the Bush twins for being drunk and morose at the ceremony.

DrSmellThis
01-21-2005, 01:41 AM
January 21st, 2005 2:48

am
Cheney Says Iran Tops List of Trouble Spots

WASHINGTON

(Reuters ("http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml%3Bjsessionid%3DUTOAX0OL1UJOUCRBA EOCFEY?type=topNews&storyID=7385562"

)) - Vice President Dick Cheney said on Thursday that Iran was at the top of the

administration's list of world trouble spots and expressed concern that Israel "might well decide to act first" to

eliminate any nuclear threat from Tehran.

"You look around the world at potential trouble spots, Iran is right

at the top of the list," Cheney said in an interview aired on MSNBC on the day that George W. Bush was sworn in for

a second four-year term as president.

Cheney, one of the chief architects of the Iraq war, said the

administration would continue to try to use diplomacy to address what he said were serious concerns about Iran's

nuclear weapons program and ties to terrorism.

The administration has also accused Iran of interfering in the

affairs of neighboring Iraq, where U.S. forces have been bogged won in a ferocious insurgency since the 2003

invasion.

If Iran resists demands to rein in its nuclear program, Cheney said the next step would be to take

the matter to the U.N. Security Council and seek international sanctions "to force them to live up to the

commitments and obligations."

Cheney described Iran's nuclear program as "fairly robust." Iran denies its

nuclear facilities are to be used to make weapons. Cheney, who was a leading advocate for the Iraq invasion, said

one concern was that Israel might act against the Iranians "without being asked."

ISRAELIS COULD ACT

"If,

in fact, the Israelis became convinced the Iranians had significant nuclear capability, given the fact that Iran has

a stated policy that their objective is the destruction of Israel, the Israelis might well decide to act first, and

let the rest of the world worry about cleaning up the diplomatic mess afterwards," Cheney said.

Israel set a

precedent for such action in 1981 when it sent warplanes to destroy Iraq's French-built Osiraq reactor, seen as the

key to President Saddam Hussein's nuclear ambitions.

"We don't want a war in the Middle East, if we can avoid

it. And certainly in the case of the Iranian situation, I think everybody would be best suited by or best treated

and dealt with if we could deal with it diplomatically," Cheney said.

Like Cheney, Bush has stressed the

importance of diplomacy in dealing with Iran, but said this week, "I will never take any option off the table."

The Bush administration imposed economic penalties this month against Chinese companies it accused of helping

Tehran improve its longer-range ballistic missiles.

After being sworn in on Thursday Bush admonished what he

called "the rulers of outlaw regimes" and said, "We will defend ourselves and our friends by force of arms when

necessary."

The New Yorker magazine reported this week that the United States has been conducting secret

reconnaissance missions inside Iran to help identify potential nuclear, chemical and missile targets. The White

House and Pentagon have disputed the report.

tim929
01-24-2005, 03:03 AM
:frustrate I am ever amused by

Americans who say that we are a people of peace....What is it in our nations history...pre revolution or post...that

would give anyone the idea that the United States is a nation of peace? I recently left a post in another thread

regarding the argument over teaching "inteligent design" vs. evolution in the public schools.Remember...it was our

public schools that left people so incompitent that George W. Bush was elected not once...but twice!

Unfortunatly,these same public schools gave us the people who put John Kerry as the nominee for the Democratic

party.Please don't hold this against me...I am a Republican...and I was greatly disheartend that our current

president was elected the first time around...I was truly heartbroken when a candidate as weak as John Kerry was put

forth to try and get us out of this mess.There is a real need in this country for change...but I'll be damned if I

can figure out where to start.:frustrate