PDA

View Full Version : Electric Shaver Questions

InternationalPlayboy
01-13-2005, 07:42 AM
(Since there isn't a "Grooming" forum, I'm posting my question here as I don't think it really fits in under

"Health.")

I'm still kicking around the idea of shaving off my beard. As it is right now, I shave my neck

once a week. It used to be on Sunday afternoons, but since I started mone experimentation again, I often shave on

Fridays instead so I don't look so much like a "wino." Even if I don't decide to try the beardless look, I've

been thinking of getting an electric shaver. The one I'm looking at is one of those Norelco models with the lotion

dispenser as I have a problem with skin irritation. But I can't see forking out $120+ for something I'm not sure

I'd like. My only experience with an electric up to this point is a cheapo AA battery operated one I got for

Christmas many years ago. It worked semi-ok, but I got a lot of rash from using it.

I have been reading about

electrics at the Straight Dope Message Board, but there seems to be conflicting opinions on them, so I thought that

I'd post my questions here, where I spend most of my online discussion time anymore.

First of all, it

appears that electrics don't work too well on the neck area, the only area I'd be shaving if I kept the beard. And

that rotarys aren't as good at shaping beard lines as a foil shaver is but the rotarys generally give a closer

shave. I would like to hear any opinions on foil vs. rotary shavers.

Secondly, I was considering an electric

for the convience and thought it would be quicker to use. But from what I gather at the SDMB, an electric can take

just as long or longer to shave with than a blade. If I went beardless, that would mean shaving every day and I

don't have that much time in the morning before work to do the lather and blade routine every day.

I would

probably switch back and forth between a blade and an electric, depending on my mood at the time. Any comments on

the Norelco lotion models and recommendations for other models are appreciated.

belgareth
01-13-2005, 08:16 AM
IP,

I wear a beard too but

shave my neck three times a week with a blade. It's best done in a hot shower. At one point I needed to be

beardless for a couple years. Since I get irritation too what worked best for me was to use a shaving brush with

high quality, lotion type shaving soap in very hot water and a sharp single blade disposable razor. After shaving I

washed and applied aloe vera. Minimal irritation from that.

DrSmellThis
01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Good post. I'm curious myself

what people think.

I've always used the Norelco rotaries but have never been entirely satisfied. Braun has its

fans. The lotion dispenser stuff is probably a meaningless gimmick, though.

belgareth
01-14-2005, 07:06 AM
Good post.

I'm curious myself what people think.

I've always used the Norelco rotaries but have never been entirely

satisfied. Braun has its fans. The lotion dispenser stuff is probably a meaningless gimmick, though.From a

purely technical standpoint, the lotion dispenser sounds problematic. Imagine the mechanism clogged up with shaving

bristles and partially congealed lotion. Yuck! It would be very hard to prevent that without daily cleaning of the

parts.

InternationalPlayboy
01-14-2005, 08:19 AM
From a purely technical standpoint, the lotion dispenser sounds problematic. Imagine the mechanism

clogged up with shaving bristles and partially congealed lotion. Yuck! It would be very hard to prevent that without

daily cleaning of the parts.

Well, it's a wet/dry shaver, one that can be used in the shower. And

from what I've read, you clean the shaver by rinsing it with running water, so I don't think it would be a

problem.

As it is, it is kind of a gimmicky device. There is a LED display that shows battery charge and

flashes when it's time to apply more lotion. Only thing is, when shaving, you can't see the display! Still

contemplating it though, if the no questions asked guarantee is still in effect. You try it for 21 days and if

you're not satisfied, you return it to Norelco and they give your money back.

belgareth
01-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Well, it's a wet/dry shaver, one that can be used in the shower. And from what I've

read, you clean the shaver by rinsing it with running water, so I don't think it would be a problem.

As it is,

it is kind of a gimmicky device. There is a LED display that shows battery charge and flashes when it's time to

apply more lotion. Only thing is, when shaving, you can't see the display! Still contemplating it though, if the no

questions asked guarantee is still in effect. You try it for 21 days and if you're not satisfied, you return it to

Norelco and they give your money back.
Guess it can't hurt to try it. :) I'm always careful about new

things like that, let somebody else deal with the headaches. When they get the bugs worked out I'll consider it.

You wouldn't believe the number of cool idea I ended up never trying because the product flopped.

I never found

an electric shaver I liked so always stuck with a blade. IMO, if the technology doesn't save time, money or work,

don't bother with it. By now, if I shaved off my beard, nobody would recognize me. Worn one for too many years.

InternationalPlayboy
01-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I want to correct

what I said about Norelco's guarantee above. Looking at their website, they actually offer a 60 day satisfaction

guarantee. I think I got 21 days because I read that it takes about that long for facial hair to get used to an

electric shaver.

I'm so used to my beard that it would be a shock to shave it off. Let alone the hassles at

work. I work as a contractor for the army and ever since 9/11 the base has been closed down and you have to show ID

to enter. (There are also random car searches when entering, they pick me at least once every couple of months it

seems.) I wonder how much hassle it would be when my face doesn't match my ID badge or driver's license.

I

look in the mirror and see how grey the beard is getting and do wonder how much younger I'd look without it. But

I'm not sure I'd like the beardless look after over 20 years with one.

Mtnjim
01-14-2005, 05:24 PM
"I look in the mirror and see how

grey the beard is getting and do wonder how much younger I'd look without it. But I'm not sure I'd like the

beardless look after over 20 years with one."

One thing about beards---they grow back!:POKE:

PS- About

electric shavers, some people like 'em, and some hate 'em---I hate them!:trout:

InternationalPlayboy
01-14-2005, 05:51 PM
"I

look in the mirror and see how grey the beard is getting and do wonder how much younger I'd look without it. But

I'm not sure I'd like the beardless look after over 20 years with one."

One thing about beards---they

grow back!:POKE:

That's what I'm thinking. It's not the end of the world if I do shave. Still

probably be closer to spring if I do so, so I can show it off to my San Diego girlfriend, then grow it right back if

I don't like the look or maintenance. (As it is, I don't like the beard trimming routine much either.) If and when

I do shave, I'll be sure to post a picture here for comparason.

PS- About electric shavers, some

people like 'em, and some hate 'em---I hate them!:trout:

That's what I gathered from reading at

the SDMB. Asking what is the best shaver is like asking what the best pheromone product is. Literally different

strokes for different folks. That's why I think the Norelco guarantee is a pretty good deal. Almost ready to order

online, where I've found the best deal for the top of the line model. About $120 + shipping at Digital Foto Club.

Macys online wants $200 for the same model! :eek:

TRock
01-14-2005, 10:21 PM
according to queer eye for the

straight guy shaving with anything besides a real razor (except disposable) is a grooming no no. i use a mach 3 so i

never had to deal with that problem.

bjf
01-15-2005, 06:50 AM
electric leaves me with a five

o'clock shadow at best.

Marlboro_man
01-16-2005, 12:50 AM
I will always stick with

the old fashion way as electric just seems to leave me feeling raw.

Gegogi
01-16-2005, 03:21 AM
I

use a Braun foil electric (the one that self cleans) and get a pretty dad burn close shave. It's almost as close as

a razor but much faster and more comfortable. I have no problem on the neck although I'm not very hairly there. I

recently grew my beard back and only use the Braun to trim around the edges and to control length. I do have to trim

everyday. I'll never go back to the pain, irritation and fuss of a razor. The Braun is more than good enough for

me.

InternationalPlayboy
01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the input

so far everyone. After comparing prices online and locally, I ordered a

Norelco 7775X (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/product.jsp?fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&productId=7775X_00_US_NO

RELCO&language=en&country=US&catalogType=NORELCO&proxybuster=YRBXOGTCQ51DHJ0RMRCSHP3HKFSESI5P)

from Digital Foto Club, fully intending to take Norelco up on their satisfaction guarantee if I don't like

it.

Realizing that a razor gets a closer shave, I still intend to use one when I don't want to burn thighs.

:D As it is, even with a razor, I have to shave twice, once with and once against the grain, to get as close as I

want. So if the electric is anywhere as close as the with the grain pass, I'll be satisfied.

I will post my

findings here after I've used it for awhile. In the meantime, I still welcome others' opinions.

InternationalPlayboy
01-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Shaver arived last

night. After the initial four hour charge (one hour re-charges after the initial one), I was anxious to try it so I

shaved right before I went to bed. My expectations have been exceeded so far as to closeness, speed, and ease of the

shave, with one drawback. The bottom portion of my neck bled in several spots and today I look like I survived a

"necktie party." I think that's more my fault, being a novice with electrics and the unfamilarity especially with

this type that dispenses lotion.

It took awhile before I realized I wasn't dispensing the lotion properly,

there are grooves in the razor face for the lotion to flow through and I didn't allow it to do so. Re-reading the

instructions, the shaver is not to be used without the gel or lotion, and I think improper lotion distribution is

what contributed to my burn. The directions also re-stated what I had read elsewhere, it takes 21 days for the face

to get used to a new shaving technique.

I shaved around 9:30 pm last night and am going to wait until

tomorrow morning to try it again. The shave was closer than a with the grain shave with a Sensor Excel twin blade

for me, but not as close as an against the grain shave, which many dermatologists and others advise not to do. At

this posting, 4:03 pm the next day, I can see a bit of stubble appearing now.

Because you must use the lotion

or gel, this is going to be more costly replacing the consumable product than with cream and a twin blade. I can get

a year or more out of a large can of shaving cream and a couple of months out of a blade. That's only shaving the

neck once a week though, and one reason I was motivated to buy this shaver is for a daily quick shave.

The

other expense, other than cleaner and lube, is the yearly replacement of the heads, at about $30 a

change.

Still, I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. I will let you know if I still feel that way in

three weeks or so, or if I decide to return it to Norelco.

Mtnjim
01-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Like a boat or a woman, it's not

the initial investment that gets ya, it's the upkeep!!:lol:

InternationalPlayboy
02-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, it's the end

of two weeks now, and I've decided I'll be keeping the shaver. When used properly, it's a smooth, quick shave. I

think it takes longer for the water to heat up to rinse the shaver than it takes to actually shave right

now.

It took 10 days to use up my first lotion pack. That's just shaving the neck, so I figure once I start

shaving my face around the end of next month that I'll get about a week out of a pack. Using a menthol gel pack in

the shaver now and I don't like it as much as the lotion. The first time I tried the gel, I again got a rash on the

lower neck from razor burn. I found I have to apply much more gel than lotion to achieve the same comfort level.

Besides that, the alcohol in the gel adds a sting when the face is accidentally cut and afterwards, my face feels

sticky. I haven't tried the shaver in the shower but I wonder if the gel might work better wet.

Pricing

refills, I first thought that packs were over $5 a piece. It turns out that they are sold in boxes of five. The two

drugstores I frequent were selling a box for about $7 each, but I found a pack of five lotion packs for $4.99 at

Target Friday.

So yeah, this is going to cost more than my Sensor Excel razor and shaving cream, but I feel

much more well groomed with a clean neck every day than I did when I was only shaving once a week. I'm glad I

decided to go with a high end unit as the only other one I've tried was a Christmas gift years ago. A AA battery

operated model that was only a step above a clothes shaver. It worked, but I had to use pre-shave with it and I got

a few ingrown hairs using it so it was used mainly for quick touch ups when traveling.

tim929
02-08-2005, 12:04 PM
My best results have been with

the Mach Three after a shower.Best shave I have ever had and no irritation or anoying little cuts and nicks.Realy

nice shave.I have never realy had great results from electrics.they just dont seem to give a close clean shave and

since I wear a goatee,if you get alittle too close to the longer hair,electrics can tend to grab them and yank

them...not a very pleasant experiance.

InternationalPlayboy
03-26-2005, 04:13 PM
The beard is gone,

Film at 11.

Can't get "The Thrill Is Gone" out of my head. I do look a lot younger but I liked how the beard

gave more fullness to my chin. Need to lose more weight now as it looks like I'm headed to having two

chins.

Got to keep the look until May. Will be in San Diego the last week of April to show off my face to the

woman who suggested this, then I may grow it back.

Started sweating like crazy when I made my first pass with

the beard trimmer. I think I wore it out as I had to switch to scissors until I remember the shaver mentioned in

this thread had its own trimmer attachment. Hopefully the beard trimmer just needs oil and new batteries after

shaving, I tried it to touch up the moustach and it seemed to work ok. It's just all the thick, white hair that it

seemed to have trouble with.

tim929
03-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Congratulations...and,by the

way...if you want it back it only takes alittle while to regrow it.Careful shaving tho...your skin wont be used to

the irritation right away...I had that problem when I shaved mine...

Pancho1188
03-26-2005, 09:19 PM
I know what you mean. Even

after only having a beard (well, if you can call what I can grow a beard) for over a month and then a goatee for

another few weeks, going back to hairless makes you feel like you lost something around the chin. It takes a while

to adjust.

belgareth
03-27-2005, 01:58 AM
I can't imagine that. My face

has been fuzzy for something like 25 years. Would I even know the guy looking back at me in the mirror?

InternationalPlayboy
03-27-2005, 07:02 AM
I

can't imagine that. My face has been fuzzy for something like 25 years. Would I even know the guy looking back at

me in the mirror?

I've had a beard for over twenty years, shaved it off for about a week or two

about 18 years ago and didn't like it then. I think the maintenance was part of the problem. I think you would have

to tie me down and sedate me to get rid of the moustach.

Going on day 2, my feelings are that the beard will

return around the beginning of May. Yes, I look younger without it, but I think I looked cooler with it as I now

look like your average middle aged dork. I really don't like my chin and I realized last night I have the same one

my mom has and my grandmother had.

It will be interesting trying to get to work tomorrow with the heightened

security that 9/11 has caused since I no longer look like the picture on either of my ID badges I'm required to

carry. My driver's license for that matter too.

Rbt
04-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Okay, so I'm just getting around to

looking at some of hte other forums and theads... so I'm a little late... Sorry

My first observation is

going ot be that what's best is going to depend on you. Your skin, your hair, and what you can tolerate. I have

light-colored fine hair, but somewhat softish skin (not a sun-worshipper).

In my experience nothing beats a

blade. Period. However it always takes me longer with a blade, and I don't really need the closeness except on

special occasions. The disposables work fine.

I've tried both the straight edged foils and the rotary

(Norelco). The foils are nice for straight edges, but I found I prefered the rotary Norelco (Remigton makes one too

I think). I use a Wahl battery-op thing for edging sideburns and other facial hair.

I've heard good things

about Braun, and if I ever went foil, I'd probably check theirs out first.

No matter what you use, you need to

get the hang of using it. And I think your skin does too. I've nicked myself with blade AND rotary.

With the

electrics, dry skin works best. I have the most trouble in the hot sticky summer, and sometimes have to revert to

blade shaving.

I also feel the various lotion dispensers etc are just gimmicks too.

With the blades, I

haven't seen a tremendous difference between any shave cream or gel. In a pinch I have even used plain

well-lathered bar soap.

One positive for me and a blade shave. It can last a day and a half before the stubble

becomes noticeable by feel, and about two days before it really gets visible. NO electric has ever been that good.

Aside: I also have smallish hands. Some of the big bruiser electrics are just too big for me to handle well.

One last opinion. Most of the extra cost features of any razor are usually a waste of time and money as far as

I'm concered. The cheapies of the product line work just as well as the big-buck ones. Some *brands* are better

than others however.

InternationalPlayboy
02-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Well,

been using the shaver for about a year now and have some observations about it.

When they say "don't use the

shaver dry," they mean it. I've found that if I wet my face before using it, I can get the lotion to last several

weeks, where before I started doing that, I only got about a week out out of a lotion pack. Haven't had the nerve

to try the remaining gel pack that came with the unit that way as I still remember my uncomfortable experience with

the first one. I suspect though, that the shave will be much better with the gel too, if I wet my face before hand.

I also like to run the water in the sink until it's real hot and then rinse the shaver head before

starting.

The lower neck is still the problem area. I have to be careful and go very lightly there or I'll

chew it up otherwise, leaving a rash that can last for several days. In contrast, it shaves the chin well and I

usually leave that part for last as I actually enjoy the feel shaving there.

Since I can't get the neck

shaved well, I still use a traditional twin blade and shaving cream on Sundays to prepare my face for the week.

Also, if I have a date, I'll go non-electric or at least use the shaver again right before the date. That depends

on how long it has been since I used a regular razor on my neck. If I go more than a day between shaves, it's hard

to get a clean one. Skipping a day before shaves is about the maximum I can go without problems. Then the neck is a

little sloppy due to the burn problem. I get more of a 5 o'clock shadow with the shaver, which is why I'll shave

twice a day for special occasions such as dates.

The shaver is cordless, and I get about three weeks of use

between charges. Maintenance isn't too hard. Norelco recommended using their degreaser to clean it monthly and then

their spray lube. Both of which I couldn't find in this podunk "city" I live in and had to go on the 'Net to buy

(of course). I think the heads are supposed to be replaced every year. The shaver has a light that comes on when

it's replacement time and that hasn't happened yet. I don't know if there is an hour counter or what that makes

the shaver give the signal. I think heads are available locally but I guess I'd better start looking to make sure

as I've had the unit for a year now.

Regardless what the "Queer Eye"* guys say, I find the shaver worth the

investment. For someone who averages 5-6 hours of sleep a night and gets up for work at 3AM, if I had to use a razor

and lather each morning, I think the beard would have quickly come back. Back in the bearded, pre-electric days, I

would shave my neck once a week and for special occasions.

I have gotten good feedback from some women on the

beardless look. Talking to my friend who originally suggested it on the phone last week, she asked about it to make

sure I hadn't grown it back. Seeing old pictures of me, I still occasionally miss it, but I would have to dye it to

get anywhere close to the look in the pictures. As it is, my moustach and "jazz patch" are getting greyer now and I

have had a thought or two on trying "Just for Men" coloring on them. But I'm afraid of the color looking too

fake.

Other than my friend's urging, one thing that convinced me to shave was the population in this town in

the winter. We have what are called "snowbirds," retired folk who come here to congest the streets and stores while

escaping the harsh winter in other parts of the country. many of the men have grey or white beards and I decided I

wanted to set myself further apart from them.

Anyway, I have nothing to compare it with except for a battery

operated travel shaver which reminded me of a lint shaver. But compared to that, the comfort and closeness of shave

is great. I can get a near traditional razor shave with the Norelco, except for the neck problem.

*I recently tried to watch an episode of Queer Eye show for the first time as the World

Famous Pontani Sisters were to be on. I am very thankful for the fast forward button on my VCR. The minute or two

the Pontanis were on wouldn't have been worth it if I had to sit through the whole show in real time. On the other

hand, I like "What Not to Wear." I think co-host Stacey is hot and I like to see the transformation the people go

through.

DrSmellThis
02-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Glad its working out for you.

I think I might try the Braun next, since I've been using the Norelco rotary all these years (essentially, since

I've been shaving!) If I've any observations I'll dig up this thread and post them. :)