PDA

View Full Version : Best Elliptical/Crosstrainer Home Machine

CollegeStudent
12-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Well I feel the need to burn calories again and I am having difficultly shelling out $100 for 3 months

of the gym when the only thing that I use (and love) is the elliptical machine. I can burn 900 calories or more an

hour on that thing and it doesn't wear me out like the treadmill.

Id like to buy one of my own and use it

here at the house, instead of shelling out dough every 3 months, be much more convenient and I can play my OWN music

(instead of that.... stupid stuff they play). Ive searched ebay and such for general concensus of ellipticals out

there, but they range in price from $200 to $3000. I like the one they have at the gym, but im sure thats a $1500

commerical unit.

Does anyone here recommend a certain brand/model. Id like to be able to get it from Wally

World, Play It Again, Dick's Sports, etc. If need be, I could order it from the web as well. Looking for

something reasonable, not too incredibly big (or at most, can fold away) and if its over $600 then thats too much.

Anyone here have any experience with these? Thanks.

TRock
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
which machine do you use at the

gym? i use the precor 546, i looked into buying one buy it's like 5000 bucks. we have an ellipitical at my house,

it cost 300 bucks. i never use it though, i pay a membership to the gym (it's actually a fitness center). i can get

on the ellipitcal and watch tv on a personal flat screen tv attached to the ellipitical, nothing beats that. i'm

not sure about your gym situation though but i would rather go to the gym.

CollegeStudent
12-28-2004, 12:19 AM
I dunno but it looks

expensive, especially after seeing ones for $400 that looks like its made of the same amount of material as a

child's bicycle. The one they have is big and bulky. Its a dark grey, with red stripes down the sides of the leg

supports. Dont remember the name brand of it.

EDIT: Ok after Googling some of the numbers I remember on the

side of the machine, here is the one that they use at my local Gold's

http://www.gymcor.com/lif95hrctrem.html As you can see, thats WAY outta my price range

*sigh*

EDIT AGAIN: Interesting, its self powered. It has quite an assortment of electronics on board, and

it all runs on the user's energy. I thought they were plugged in. Funny, since one day while I was burning 140

watts, I thought to myself that the power companies should tap into all this energy people are burning in these gyms

and add it to their grid. Talk about "green people" :)

TRock
12-28-2004, 09:39 PM
this is how i figure it. if u need

to lose weight or stay in shape by going to the gym. i become a fat pig if i don't go to the gym because i eat

alot. i'm willing to pay 50 bucks a month to be able to eat whatever i want.

DAdams91982
12-29-2004, 06:30 AM
The calorie expindture you

quoted... is way blown... DO NOT go by the monitor on there... there is a reason you are not that tired when you get

done with one of them.

Adams