PDA

View Full Version : Another new diet...

belgareth
12-09-2004, 05:27 PM
This one actually

sounds pretty sensible. Probably won't ever be accepted because of that.

Minn. Researcher Creates 'Northwoods Diet'

Thu Dec 9, 3:48 PM ET Health - AP

By KARREN MILLS, Associated Press Writer

MINNEAPOLIS -

Florida's got the South Beach diet. Now Minnesota's got the "Northwoods Diet."

That's what University of Minnesota professor David Bernlohr came

up with as the solution when he noticed his waistline expanding. After all, he's an obesity researcher.

Bernlohr said he'd fallen into the traditional American habits of

skipping breakfast, eating too much and eating too late at night.

So

he put himself on his own diet — what he jokingly dubbed the "Northwoods Diet," poking fun at the fad diet industry

and the popular South Beach diet.

"I said if the beautiful people in

South Florida can have South Beach, the hardworking people of Minnesota can have Northwoods," the professor said.

His eating plan: Three meals a day with smaller portions and no food

after 7:30 p.m. He starts with a carbohydrate-heavy breakfast such as cold cereal or oatmeal. He said the carbs

stimulate production of insulin, a hormone that helps cells convert blood sugar to energy.

Lunch is a transitional meal with both carbs and protein, often

pizza. Dinner is heavier on protein, including meat, vegetables and salads.

His rule against eating later in the evening adds to the time the body is naturally fasting — when he's

sleeping. As for exercise, he said, he didn't change his normal pattern. He's always walked a lot.

The approach "is just common sense to people who study nutrition or

metabolism," said Bernlohr, who heads the university's department of biochemistry, molecular biology and biophysics

and leads a research team at the Minnesota Obesity Center.

Bernlohr

said he's lost 40 pounds over the last year and he looks trim. But he declines to disclose his weight, and says

he's a little chagrined that his diet has attracted media attention.

"This is not a scientific study. It's simply a catchy name," he said, adding that the principles he's

following aren't new.

It may not be new information, but people

apparently aren't paying attention to what already is known about good diet habits.

The federal government estimates about 65 percent of the adults in

the United States — nearly 119 million people — are overweight or obese, which can lead to major health problems.

The key to losing

weight and staying trim?

"Don't put as much on your plate. Park as far away from the mall as you can, not as close as you can. Walk

more. Exercise more," Bernlohr said.

And don't expect quick

results.

Allen Levine, director of the obesity center and head of

the university's department of food science and nutrition, uses the analogy of the automobile to make that point.

It takes minutes to fill the tank with gas, but hours to burn off the fuel.

People have to balance the calories eaten with calories burned, he said. And people have to police

themselves.

"You can't have sex at your desk and you can't drink

booze at your desk and you can't inject drugs at your desk, but you can eat a doughnut. Nobody's going to stop

you," he said.

Mtnjim
12-09-2004, 06:31 PM
"..."Don't put as much on your

plate. Park as far away from the mall as you can, not as close as you can. Walk more. Exercise more," Bernlohr

said."

/RANT MODE ON/

THAT'S the only "diet" anyone needs. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, people are lazy and fail to think (I didn't want to say "stupid" :D ). So they "super size" and then

sit for 10 minutes in a parking lot so they can park right next to the front door (even if they go to a gym, they

don't want to walk too far to "exercise"!--I've really seen this happen) :frustrate It’s only been the few

past years where "fat" is the norm. People are far less active then they used to be, instead of manual labor, they

sit on their fat a$$es all day in front of a computer. They will walk through a planter (and kill the plants) rather

than walk around. Even the kids, instead of playing dodge ball at recess, will sit around with their Game Boys (and

"gym" has been taken out of a lot of schools)! Then everyone gets home at night. Dinner is either "nuked" frozen

dinners, or some "add water" premixed something loaded with fats, trans-fats, and sugars. After dinner, TV or more

computer games. If people would get away from this "fast food" lifestyle, the health would improve immensely! I'm

not advocating a "twiggs and berry" diet, Julia Child sure made some good stuff, but corporate maximize profits

"food" isn't the way to go! No time?? I can get home and have a meal ready *from scratch* in 30 minutes, if I can

do it, anyone can!! /RANT MODE OFF/ :D

belgareth
12-09-2004, 07:28 PM
You're right on all points.

Another of my favorites is the fat couple in line at the grocery store with a cart full of buzzbox food, instant

everything and soda and not a single fresh fruit or veggie. It's almost a given that they will also have the latest

issue of some magazine touting the newest fad diet. One or both is almost guranteed to be wearing sweats. Now,

there's a non sequitor if I ever saw one.

So...what's wrong with the word stupid?