PDA

View Full Version : SMSes freezing AOL

bjf
11-30-2004, 01:49 PM
About half the time I

reply to an SMS or close the box down, my AOL freezes. No I haven't checked out to see if it happens without aol,

as I only use the only to surf for net exploring not related to my job.

I never had a problem with this until

thanksgiving week.

belgareth
11-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Normally you shouldn't start

getting unusual behavoir from a computer unless there is some change made. Did something change in your system?

Maybe an AOL update? They do that now and then without warning. I'd also suggest running a good spyware program and

updating your anti virus software.

bjf
11-30-2004, 01:55 PM
I run adware frequently but will do

so again. I was planning on doing that. I have virus software.

My aol allows popups for ths site. The

freezing only happens with this sight, with the smses.

belgareth
11-30-2004, 02:35 PM
I don't think Bruce has made

any changes to the SMS system here. If he hasn't, something else has to of changed to start getting different

performance from your computer.

You should also try Internet explorer to see if you get the same problems. If

not we can guess it's somehow involved with AOL. If you do get the same problems we need to look elsewhere. Are you

using dialup or DSL?

bjf
11-30-2004, 02:36 PM
I am using cable. Has any other AOL

users experienced any problems, or forum members in general?

Bruce
11-30-2004, 03:09 PM
The only change we made even

remotely related to SMSing is the removal of the SMS -linked names in the "who's online" area on the opening page.

Now you have to go to the who's online *page* and click the little dialogue icon to SMS. That shouldn't make any

difference. Oscar uses AOL and we SMS back and forth a lot.

B

belgareth
11-30-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty sure it's an

individual machine issue. That's why the suggestion about spyware and AV software. But you always have to check

every possibility because the one thing you don't check is the one causing the problem. It's one of those

unwritten rules associated with Murphy's law.

bjf
11-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Oscar said some strange things had

been happening to him last week. But I am guessing this case is just my machine. I ran the spyware again. Will do

some SMSing, I hope it will help. I think it went away for like a day or two around the weekend, and I think i ran

it on Friday.

belgareth
11-30-2004, 03:37 PM
With all due respect to Oscar

(and I have tremendous respect for him:box: ), his problems could as easily been his own creation. I don't know

either way.

Without trying to offend anybody, us techies are fond of such technical explanations as a loose

nut behind the keyboard or an error between the keyboard and the chair. It's pretty common. I dealt with that

situation once today. Did you know that you have to put batteries in a wireless mouse? :rofl:

bjf
11-30-2004, 03:42 PM
I agree, a lot of problems are stupid

things, although you know how wierd computers are. I have had PCs just go nuts on their own, I know oscar has too.

We both know about our PC nightmares.

Alot of it probably has to do with all of these internet ads puting

on spyware on our computers and messing with the machine. Its why computers seem to age.

Plus, AOL has

plenty of problems. BTW, my computer has a great cup holder, but where do I put the CD? :)

belgareth
11-30-2004, 03:47 PM
About a third of my business

right now is directly related to spyware issues. My techs are always dealing with it. You wouldn't believe how

often we clean up a computer in a couple hours and show the customer that they didn't need an upgrade. "Gee, it

runs like new!"

CD? Coffe Dispenser?

I had a guy call me the day after thanksgiving with an emergency system

failure. Drove 10 miles each way to plug his computer back in. "Oh, that plug. Huh?"

bjf
11-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Yea, not to many people know about

the spyware cleaning programs anyway. But spyware is everyone's problem.

Only thing that is annoying is

that every time I have a technical issue with something, I have to go through the same basic procedures with tech

support just to prove there is actually an issue. And then I get passed to someone else and have to run through the

problem again. Takes up a lot of time which I don't get paid for.

bjf
11-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Bel, after my diet patch spyware SMS,

my AOL froze again, so it isn't spyware I guess.........just aol.

Oscar: my smses are just freezing the AOL

and me and bel have been trying to figure out why.

oscar
11-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Gents,

I haven't been on AOL for

about three months now. I connect via Comcast by way of Internet Explorer. I do experience some strange SMS glitches

from time to time though. The most common is that I'll sometimes get a blank SMS from myself. I usually wonder what

it was that I had to say, or to whom the message may have been directed before being effaced (IF that's the cause)

. But nothing so serious as freeze-ups or anything like that.

Oscar :)

belgareth
11-30-2004, 07:15 PM
I do experience

some strange SMS glitches from time to time though. The most common is that I'll sometimes get a blank SMS from

myself.
Oscar :)
I get those too and I'm on a split T1 line. That's probably an artifact of the SMS

program.

Bruce
11-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Everybody gets those blank messages

from time to time.

B