PDA

View Full Version : computer noise

slick
11-05-2004, 03:56 AM
Hi there,

i have this

problem with my computer that when i leave it by standby for about 5 minutes it starts making this horrible noise

like grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, that sort of noise, i hope someone knows what im talking

about, and when i move the mouse it goes away or if i touch a key.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to

stop this noise as i cant relax when i have my computer on and it is really starting to get on my tits:mad:, i use a

screensaver but it still makes the noise

any help would be really appreicated

thanks a lot

ck

belgareth
11-05-2004, 04:30 AM
Is the noise coming from the

speakers or from the case?

slick
11-05-2004, 04:56 AM
its coming from the case belgareth

i, think it is the hard drive making a noise, it doesnt stop until i moved the mouse or touch the keyborard, that

sort of brrrrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrr noise, the sort of noise ur computer makes when ur trying to load a lot of

applications

slick
11-05-2004, 05:10 AM
its the sort of noise your

hardrive makes when it is trying to load something, but there is nothing being loaded its just happens:frustrate

Yoel
11-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Control Panel -> Energy Save (or

something like that, you know, the icon with the battery and the plug)

Look around for hd options. I can't

really help since my system is in another language.

Yoel

SweetBrenda
11-05-2004, 06:15 AM
:type: Just kick

it.....:cool:

belgareth
11-05-2004, 06:54 AM
its coming from

the case belgareth i, think it is the hard drive making a noise, it doesnt stop until i moved the mouse or touch the

keyborard, that sort of brrrrrrrrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrrrrr noise, the sort of noise ur computer makes when ur trying to

load a lot of applications
You should first try to localize it more. You need to know where it is coming

from. If it is the hard drive, you may have a serious problem. But if it is really loud, I doubt it's that, an HD

making that much noise is ready to fail and you'd be getting errors while using your computer. More likely the

CDROM or floppy drive is making the noise, even a system fan could be doing it. When it goes into hibernation, do

any of the drive lights come on? Look at the floppy and CD drives to see if their lights come on when it goes into

hibernation.

slick
11-05-2004, 07:06 AM
its the hardrive that makes the

noise bel, i can see the light going, havent had the computer for long and i cant see any errors or disk failures

with the computer so i dont think my hardrive is dying yet

belgareth
11-05-2004, 07:15 AM
And it only does it when going

into hibernation? When windows goes into hibernation it takes a lot of HD space to duplicate the state of your RAM

memory, the more things you have going and the more RAM you have, the more space it will take. If that is what is

happening, it should stop after a few minutes once the RAM has been copied to the HD. If that's not it, you should

run a Malware/Spyware scan on your computer to make sure it isn't being hijacked. I'm not saying it is but it is a

possibility that should be eliminated, I can recomend a couple good programs you can download if you need to. Once

you've done that you can disable hibernation. To do that on XP you go to the Control Panel, double click Power

Options. Select the tab at the top for Hibernation then uncheck the box that enables hibernation. Click apply and

close the box.

Yoel
11-05-2004, 07:25 AM
[..] Once you've

done that you can disable hibernation. To do that on XP you go to the Control Panel, double click Power Options.

Select the tab at the top for Hibernation then uncheck the box that enables hibernation. Click apply and close the

box. Well that's what I suggested. Except, I don't think that we are talking about hibernation here, since

he said "when i leave it by standby for about 5 minutes" while hibernation is a triggered state. You should look in

the first tab, try changing all the time options to "never".

Yoel

belgareth
11-05-2004, 07:37 AM
Well that's what I

suggested. Except, I don't think that we are talking about hibernation here, since he said "when i leave it by

standby for about 5 minutes" while hibernation is a triggered state. You should look in the first tab, try changing

all the time options to "never".

Yoel
Yes, that's what you advised but if you think about it, the HD

shutting down would become silent. It would not start accessing unless there is some program using the drive for

something. If the power saver shuts the drive down, it simply powers down the motor. When the computer goes into

hibernation it stores system state information prior to shutting down the drive. That's because hibernation powers

down the RAM but power saver doesn't.

If the computer starts accessing the drive while in a power down state

there has to be a reason. Windows itself would have no reason to access the drive in that state so we need to find

out what is accessing the drive and why. That's why I suggested scanning for malware and spyware. One of the more

common computer hijacks is to create an SMTP server on the computer and use it to send spam while the computer is in

idle mode. I can give you some reference material on that if you are interested.

slick
11-05-2004, 08:20 AM
yes i think u are right bel, ive

tried putting everything to never and ive turned hybernation on and off but it is still making that noise, i think

it is trying to access something as u said, if u can show me links to that spyware detection that will be great

thanks

ck

belgareth
11-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Go to

www.download.com (http://www.download.com). Do a search within downloads for the following programs,

download and install then run them.

Ad Aware SE
SpyBot
AdwareAway

The first two are free and work pretty

well. The last one you can try on a 30 day demo. It's the best of the three but is a little more complicated to

use. Each one catches things the others miss.

belgareth
11-05-2004, 09:20 AM
I should add that in large part

I am guessing here. It is very difficult to diagnose a computer problem over the phone or on a forum. There are

numerous little clues I can't see or hear. If these suggestions don't clear up the problem, you should have a

competent technician look at it. In a shop situation I or any other tech could probably figure it out in a few

minutes where this way I might not ever solve it.

Mtnjim
11-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Perhaps the system is doing "idle

time" indexing. Check the OS settings for "Indexing" also if you have Microsoft Office installed, check "fast find"

settings. :type:

Yoel
11-05-2004, 10:32 AM
@belgareth:

I know that sounds

counter-intuitive but think about it this way: when the 5 minutes run out, the drives shut off and whatever was

running in the background "feels" it. I was just guessing anyway like you, since we have no physical access to the

system. I merely stated that since he was speaking of "screensavers" and such things, hibernation couldn't have

been the issue.

And yes, I do know about the hacking techniques you're referring to, I've read my share of

books :)

Yoel

Yoel
11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
PS: I'm studying information

engineering by the way, it's not like I'm a plumber giving advice over biotechnology :D

Yoel

belgareth
11-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Sorry if I sounded gruff about

it. I own a computer company and do this all day long. Without trying to offend anybody, after more than 20 years of

working with computer users, I've become cynical about what they tell me they did or didn't do. In general, other

than the basic symptoms or complaint I try to start at the begining or at least look at what it might possibly be

doing.

Once a system goes into sleep mode the drive shuts down. If the drive is set to turn off after X time,

it shuts off. That's why I looked at hibernation. Mtmjim has a good point about indexing but drive shut down in

sleep mode should override indexing. Indexing also should be a relatively brief process because it is usually only

updating and that doesn't take all that long. My impression was that it was doing it all the time.

Whatever

the actual issue is, we can always follow Sherlock Holmes' advice: Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever

remains is the solution, no matter how unlikely. :)

slick
11-05-2004, 12:56 PM
thanks for the advice ever1 i just

did a virus check with ezarmor virus and basically im f***ked, found out i had about 60 trojans on my pc and other

viruses totalling up to 81, the virus protector got rid of 50 but there are 30 there i cant get rid off, ive also

got this hacker who is talking to me through msn which i did not invite him on my friends list and i cannot get rid

of him any1 know the best way to get rid of him and also does any1 know a very good virus protection programme that

should get rid of the rest,

thanks

ck

belgareth
11-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Ouch! I was afraid of that.

First, restart your computer in safe mode as the administrator and run the anti-spyware and anti-virus programs

again. It might do the job but I doubt it.

At this point, I think that unless you really know what you are

doing, you should have a professional take a look at it. Otherwise, you might never get it completely cleaned up.

slick
11-05-2004, 02:06 PM
ok thanks bel,im going to get a

pro look at it, dont care about the costt as long as he can cleans it up, i think ill have to brush up on my IT

skills as well

cheers

ck

Yoel
11-05-2004, 04:01 PM
[...] found out i had

about 60 trojans on my pc and other viruses totalling up to 81 [...] :eek:
Learn to check your system

every now and then will ya? ;)
And don't open every "photo" a never heard of girl sends you :D

You really

need a pro here, I suggest a good format/reinstall of the whole system at this point anyway if you have the

possibility of doing that. And this time, install firewall + antivirus.

Yoel

belgareth
11-05-2004, 04:53 PM
A good tech should be able to

clean up most virus/trojan/spyware problems without wiping everything off the drive and reinstalling. That's pretty

drastic and not something I usually recomend. In doing that you will lose everything and most people object to

that.

Yoel is right in saying that you need to get in the habit of doing regular maintenance and not opening

ANYTHING, especially attachments, unless you know who it's from and are expecting it. Get a good Anti Virus

program, a solid Firewall and a good spyware program. Run scans frequently! My personal preferences are the

anti-spyware programs I mentioned before, Zone Alarm Pro or Black Ice Defender firewall and AVG Anti-virus.

Yoel
11-06-2004, 03:19 AM
Hey bel,

What's your take on

Norton internet security, which features an antivirus plus a firewall? I used to run both Nis and ZA, but the first

always caught intrusions before the latter, not to mention the times Zone Alarm never caught them at all. Unluckily

I had to uninstall both of them because of some boot conflicts with the SP2 of WinXP, but I sure don't like my

actual situation (even if I am behind a router and all).

Yoel

belgareth
11-06-2004, 05:19 AM
I am not a fan of Norton or

Macaffee. Since they are the biggest, just like Microsoft, they make the best targets for hackers. I've also seen

obvious attacks go right past Norton, it has some big holes in it. There are a lot of small venders out there that

do a much better job than either. On every new system I sell I install AVG because it is superior to either. That's

not to say it is the best available because I don't know every product on the market. But it does do a good job.

Another good one is called ViRobot Expert by Hauri. One of the better firewall programs that I've used a lot of is

called Hacker Smacker by Farstone(Yeah, it's corny but it works well with SP2).

I believe in multi level

defense. I am running a split T1 for internet access and phones here but the concept is still the same. I use a

series of firewalls, a proxy server, IP spoofing and IP filtering. Most security experts and hackers (same thing

usually) will tell you that firewalls aren't much trouble to get past. The idea is to make your system too much

hassle to bother with. After a few failed attempts, they'll usually go on to an easier target. If you really want

to have the highest possible security, use IP filtering in conjunction with your firewall and close or delete any

unused port. You should also monitor your traffic as that is the only way you're likely to pick up a backdoor SMTP

server on your system.

Belgareth