PDA

View Full Version : Deleting bogus posts

belgareth
10-27-2004, 09:12 PM
There's a

conversation going in the pheromone discussion about BS posts and when we should delete them. It isn't appropriate

to that forum but it is an important topic. I'd like to get your opinions about it.

My stand has been that I

don't delete them because I have no way to be certain which are true and which aren't. I'm a sceptic and if I

started deleting any that I didn't believe, I would probably piss a lot of people off for deleting their honest but

strange sounding posts.

I look at myself when reading about the janitor; working as a chef in a country club

putting myself through college I met a rich kid, seduced, married and nine years later divorced her. Then I took

custody of our 6 year old daughter away from her. Now I am a 48 year old businessman living with a 28 year old

college student from Ireland. While I know all that is true, how many of you read it and said, "Yeah, Right!"? I'd

sure wonder after hearing that from somebody else.

Weird stuff happens all the time. The world is full of

strange events nobody can explain but really happened. Help me here folks. I want to do what is best for the forum

and all the members. How should we moderators go about it?

SwingerMD
10-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Bel,

I believe that you,

Bruce, and the other moderators are doing a fine job with this "let the reader decide policy".

I do believe

that the truth can definately be stranger than fiction.

As for our janitor's post, his actions, in this

case his non response, speaks for itself.

Indigo
10-28-2004, 12:51 AM
I absolutely agree with your

actual approach. You can never know if a post is
really BS. If you find it obvious and it is a fake in your

opinion, simply let the
other forum members know and bring up your arguments!
That will help unexperienced and

new peomone users ( like I was ), who really want
to believe great hit stories, to come back to the ground and

learn over the time to
recognize themselfes which storys are true and which should be viewed sceptically!

DrSmellThis
10-28-2004, 02:17 AM
You guys do a good job with

posts.

Common sense about human nature suggests that some people post lies, but most don't. As Bel says,

strange things happen in life on occasion. If a post was harmful to the forum, then deleting it would make sense.

But most exaggerated hit stories seem mostly harmless; as they are usually found along with the skeptical reactions

they evoke; and are not represented as true by marketers. We usually don't have sufficient information to judge

their veracity, despite our tendencies to make snap judgements.

camusflage
10-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Caveat lector would be my

motto..

Diving a little deeper, that's why we have thread ratings, is it not? We can use them to winnow away

the chaff, if the people deem it such. The only case where I'd hold a higher standard, and expect moderator

intervention, is in the case of baseless NEGATIVE lies, be they about products or pheroforum denizens.