PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend me some good (productive :p ) books!

Nutt
10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
welp, im taking a much needed getaway to the US ( im from england) and that means nearly 24 hours of

sitting around on planes etc:
I need some good books, im thinking self improvement style stuff to read and keep

me occupied for some of that time.
anything intrtesting and factual is also welcomed!

Ive always wanted

to read sun-tzu's the art of war, but I want to keep the reading list customs agent friendly no point in risking

anything thats gonna delay me through customs!

cheers bro's!!

a.k.a.
10-26-2004, 04:37 PM
I think the “Complete Idiot’s Guide

to ...” series is ideal for airports: light reading, lots of pictures, short chapters, lots of interesting

information. My favorites are “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft” (great for Halloween) and “The

Complete Idiot’s Guide to Lost Civilizations”. But you can find stuff on any topic.
Other cool books with

pictures are Stephen Hawkin’s “The Universe in a Nutshell” and Stephen Jay Gould’s “The Book of Life” (all about

evolution).
The “Tao Te Ching” is very ponderous. Epictetus’s “Art of Happiness” is very easy and full of great

advice.
I don’t do much self-help, but Norman Vincent Peal’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is a

classic, and Balthasar Gracian’s “Art of Worldly Wisdom” is even more classic — with lots of short pithy

chapters.

Or you could just do like everybody else and pick up the latest Harry Potter.

einstein
10-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Best book I've read lately was

Mysterious Stranger by David Blaine. He explains a few of his simpler tricks and also how he prepares for his

endurance stunts and what those are like. Its a fascinating book.

but Norman Vincent Peal’s “How to Win

Friends and Influence People” Are you sure its not by Dale Carnegie?? He's one of the most famous people

to come from my school, along with Mancow and the guy who invented Cheerios.

a.k.a.
10-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Are you sure its not

by Dale Carnegie?? He's one of the most famous people to come from my school, along with Mancow and the guy who

invented Cheerios.

Oops. You're right. Peale is the guy that invented the Power of Positive

Thinking.

belgareth
10-26-2004, 06:11 PM
A book I got a lot out of is

called "The Thinkers Way". Don't remember the author.

DrSmellThis
10-27-2004, 02:28 AM
...Some very good suggestions

above! I've read a lot of self improvement stuff, but it really depends on the specific area you are interested in.

Here are some very random, diverse books that I liked. Alan Watt's The Book was an early influence; Notes

to Myself by Hugh Prather; The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner. The Autobiography of Ben

Franklin; The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life; by Drunvalo Melchizedek; Six Great Ideas, by

Mortimer Adler. Jitterbug Perfume, by Harold Robbins. Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach.

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Civilization and it's Discontents, by Freud. The

Autobiography of Carl Jung. Dave Barry's Guide to Guys. Aristotle's Metaphysics. Plato's

Republic.

Holmes
10-27-2004, 06:24 AM
A book I got a

lot out of is called "The Thinkers Way". Don't remember the author.

Great book! John Chaffee is a

nice guy.

Holmes
10-27-2004, 06:38 AM
...Some very

good suggestions above! I've read a lot of self improvement stuff, but it really depends on the specific area you

are interested in. Here are some very random, diverse books that I liked. Alan Watt's The Book was an early

influence; Notes to Myself by Hugh Prather; The Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner. The

Autobiography of Ben Franklin; The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life; by Drunvalo Melchizedek;

Six Great Ideas, by Mortimer Adler. Jitterbug Perfume, by Harold Robbins. Jonathan Livingston

Seagull, by Richard Bach. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Civilization and it's

Discontents, by Freud. The Autobiography of Carl Jung. Dave Barry's Guide to Guys. Aristotle's

Metaphysics. Plato's Republic.

Fart Proudly, Benjamin Franklin

:lol:

Poetics or The Politics, Aristotle

A Fire In The Mind, Joseph

Campbell

Imperial Hubris, Anonymous

At Hell's Gate: A Soldier's Journey, Claude Anshin

Thomas