PDA

View Full Version : David Deangelo and school dances

bizraterx
10-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Hello everyone! Well after reading :box: David Deangelo's stuff religiously I think Im finally getting this whole

cocky-funny thing and this being a man concept and finding that this girl whom Ive had my eye on for a couple months

now, is actually showing some intrest in me.
To summarize this is what happened: Last friday we got assinged this

book report in English class and this girl wanted to work on it with me since we could team up with another person

to do it. Well basically we were supposed to meet up on Sunday to work on it together. Well turns out she flaked out

on me so when she called back on Sunday night she said she was really sorry but she had been "busy" all day. So

being as I had just read David Denangelos stuff I gave her the old cold shoulder and told her that it was her fault

and basically hanged up on her saying that I was real busy.....and guess what she called back later that night

apologizing for the whole ordeal and even called me back the next day to chat.
So here I am today realizing that

homecoming is only about 10 days away so I got to thinking that this would be an excellent opportunity to see her

and have some fun together with out actually going out on a date:thumbsup: . ONLY PROBLEM is that I CAN'T

DANCE!!:think: In fact ive never been to ANY school dance in high school and the last dance whihc I attended was in

fifth grade in elementary school and eve then I dint dance........I just sat around looking at everyone else and

secretly envying them:rant:. Well anyhow my game is MUCH better since those ackward days but Im still faced with the

fact that I CANT DANCE! Here are the basic problems that I have ...
1.)Ive never been to a school dance in recent

memory and I have no idea o what to expect(do people just sit around and talk, do people actually get up and

dance!?!)
2) what kind if dancing is considered appropriate
2)What if that girl or any other girl actually wants

me to dance with them and they realize that I dance like a robot from an old black and white horror film.
3)Google

and the net have not worked so far...............all i can find is things on how to learn to dance Salsa, Polka

country, and other types of dances that are to specific......all I want is to learn how to not look like a complete

duche when dancing and how to look like if im dancing naturally
Hope you guyz can help

Friendly1
10-19-2004, 11:32 PM
It takes the average guy about

3 months to get to a point where he doesn't look totally uncomfortable. It takes a few years to become a good

dancer.

Learning to dance in 10 days would be Karate Kid-class instruction and practice.

Now, considering

that I am a High School dropout who never attended a prom or a school dance until I got to college, here is my guess

at what you may be facing.

First, I have no idea of how much sitting around and talking the people there will

do. The girls will probably bunch together from time to time to compare notes. Single girls may try to flirt with

single guys to get them to come over and talk or try to dance.

If you see a girl dancing by herself, try to

catch her eye (she may be trying to catch yours). If she looks at you a couple of times, go over and say, "Hey,

show me those steps again." Maybe you can pick it up. Maybe not.

Assuming you are in the USA, the kind of

dancing kids at your school will do probably depends on what kind of music most of them listen to. If you're in a

big city, Hip Hop or some sort of Latin dances might be the preferred style. If you're in the country, you're

probably looking at Two Step or Polkas.

I've seen Hip Hop in a mostly Caucasian/Hispanic club setting. The

only people doing it right were four black girls and the professional dancers up on the stage. About 200 other

girls were sort of slowly undulating, almost in time to the music. Maybe 4 guys were standing in the middle of the

crowd watching their girls dance. They obviously didn't know how to dance and felt stupid being there.

There

may be some kind of "slow dance" somewhere amid the festivities. It's actually a lover's dance, and most guys who

cannot dance can usually save face by holding their girl close and turn slowly. Let her put her head on your

shoulders.

If you can swing your hips in time to the music, you'll score extra points in her esteem.

Two

Step is not all that hard to learn, but dancing Two Step with a partner who really knows how to dance can be

embarassing for you. I accepted an invitation to go Two Step dancing with a girl last year who had been doing it

all her life. I had seen how to do it in the movies, and I took a Square Dancing class in college about 20 years

ago. So, I asked my dance instructor to give me a crash course in Two Step about two nights before I was supposed

to meet Miss Country.

Because I had some dance experience, and because my instructor knew what I was capable of,

we knocked out a basic routine for me to try in the course of an hour.

Even so, when I got out on the floor with

Miss Country, she left me in the dust, so I had to be a man, say, "Hey. I'm VERY rusty. Let's take it slow for a

dance so I can get a feel for your rhythm." She agreed to that and I was able to work up to a better speed.

She

then asked me what kind of dancing I WAS into since I obviously wasn't a Two-Step star. I said, "Salsa."

Next

thing I know, I'm doing a super-fast Salsa to a country song (I have since learned you can dance Salsa or Cha-Cha

to almost any kind of music, except Hip Hop, which works okay with Merengue).

At any rate, because I was loaded

up with pheromones, Miss Country ended up red-faced, horny, and breathless before we finished dancing. She had

plenty of guys asking her to dance, but she kept coming back to me that night.

Hopefully, your girl doesn't

have that much dance experience under her belt, but chances are she can hear the beat better than you and do some

twirling without you.

When I was in college, I taught myself to dance freestyle by practicing at home, alone,

for three weeks before a big school dance. I ended up dancing with about 20 sorority girls because all their guys

didn't know how to dance. Freestyle dancing is what you see in the movies -- John Travolta at the Disco. You have

to be able to move in time or you look like a fool, and unless you're comfortable with looking like a fool, you

don't want to try that in front of a crowd.

Some basic steps you can try to practice would be side steps where

you swing your toes back and forth (watch "Footloose" if you can get it in time). You can swing your arms in

opposition to your feet. Step forward and then step back, or step back and then step forward, might also be easy

enough to master. But you have to be able to do it to the music. And the music is usually too fast and too loud

for a beginner.

BTW -- how do you know this girl will go to the dance with you? Or are you just wanting to hook

up with her at the dance?

And that is about all the insight I can give you on dancing at a school. The college

events I went to, I usually knew people there. If your friends are going, hang with them occasionally to give

yourself a chance to calm down, but make sure you run by the girl and say "Hi" even if you don't have the nerve to

ask her to dance.

Maybe she'll ask you to dance.

Elk Dreamer
10-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Many years ago faced with

the same delimma. I told a friend that I couldn't dance and wanted to go to a school dance. He said my mother and

sister will teach you the basics. He invited me to his home and they did just that. We spent one afternoon at his

home dancing and I was capable of dancing and learning new dances after that. If you learn to dance well there will

never ever be a shortage of women in your life. You may even wish to get a jump on your peers by taking professional

classes
without anyone knowing it.

Dancing gets the pheros in close where they are effective!

Good

Luck you can do it.

Elk :thumbsup:

bjf
10-20-2004, 07:33 AM
Here's something I came across on

the internet:

One of the reasons why it's so difficult to get information on dance moves is that dancing is

a very personal thing. Unless you're into doing some form of organized dance like line dancing, ballroom dancing,

etc., you're not going to find such information. If you are however, many bars and clubs offer free dance lessons.

As well, there are dancing schools that will teach you many basic steps.

But, what if you’re into music that

doesn’t have real “steps”? That doesn't mean that you're out of luck! Here are some things that will help:

1) Determine what types of music you like and work on dancing to familiar tunes. If you like Country/Western

music, line dancing is your choice. If you like rock or blues, free style is your bag.

2) Learn to "count".

All music has a natural rhythm. Almost popular music is written if "4/4" time. This means that it is counted as

"1..2..3..4..1..2..3..4..", with the "1's" being on the natural beginning of a phrase. In fact, if you listen

closely, you'll notice that music is made up of patterns that just get repeated over and over again.

Professional musicians learn to recognize the musical "parts". This isn't difficult as most songs only have

2 or 3. These are called the "A", "B", and "C" parts. Think of this as a "verse", "chorus", and possibly a "bridge".

If you learn to recognize these parts, you can learn to change your dance steps to match!

3) Once you get a

feel for the count, and the musical parts, find a simple step that matches. This doesn't have to be complicated.

Try lifting one foot up and then putting it back down for every beat. Then switch to the other foot and do it again.

Hey look! You're dancing!

When it comes to your arms, they are used to balance. Think about walking - when

you have one foot forward, the arm on the same side is backward, and vise-versa. Dancing is like this too. Use your

arms to give you balance. The more movement you make with your feet, the more your arms have to move to

"counter-balance" your moves.

4) In general, the best dance music has about 120 beats per minute. That is,

one beat ever 1/2 second. Why is this important? Because it's a natural feel that let's you move easily find a

"groove" to dance to. If you learn to count, all you have to do is figure out how many beats there are in some

period of time, and you'll know the music's "tempo". Then, look for songs that have about 120 beats per minute.

5) Relax! Dancing is a very personal thing. If you can dance well, you have a leg up. But, if you learn to

express yourself though dancing, you'll look like you dance well! More important, if you find that you enjoy it,

you'll do well - and believe me, you'll learn to enjoy it once you start.

6) Finally, watch other guys

when they dance. Most of them look ridiculous! But then, that doesn't stop them! When you're dancing, nobody else

is watching you, they're too busy keeping track of themselves!

Pancho1188
10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
:goodpost: all around!

If

it's dance or hip-hop (anything with a steady beat), dancing is easy. Hell, I'm practically dancing at the gym

half the time I'm there. It's just moving to the music.

If you need a lesson, start by picking a song with a

steady rhythm. Bob your head back and forth. Then shift your shoulders from side to side. Move your arms up and down

or back and forth with your shoulders. Sway your hips to the beat (one, two, one, two). Shake that ass...step to the

left, step to the right...and just go from there with whatever you feel. Make sure you're smooth and not stiff or

tense like a robot. Just don't break out the cartwheel into a split until you're ready. ;)

If you're in a

bind and need a 'quick fix', watch the music video "Lean Back" by Fat Joe (go to launch.yahoo.com and search for

it; you can watch it on demand) and do what he does: "My n****** don't dance, we just pull up our pants and do the

rock-away...lean back, lean back, lean back, lean back..." :thumbsup: I also recommend the music video "Yeah", where

they show you the rock-away and a few other moves. Notice, however, that most of the moves they do are just moving

back and forth. It's not that hard.

My advice: Take an aerobics class. It's the best way to learn to step to a

beat. Just switch the kicking and flailing arms with stepping and less bold arm movements.

Wow, this is

the first time my post is less than half the size of other posts. :)

Friendly1
10-20-2004, 08:51 AM
I like the idea of practicing

with someone's mom and sister (even your own). But you have to really want to learn it. I wasn't kidding about

the Karate Kid reference. The key to successful dancing, for the man, is (TA-DA!) CONFIDENCE. You have to feel

like you know what you are doing.

When I was first learning to Salsa dance, my instructor suggested I buy some

CDs and listen to the music. I played Salsa in my car on the way to work and on the way every day for months. I

tapped my hands in time to the music. I learned to get a feel for it, although I still struggle with the faster

songs.

Try to develop a rhythmic motion with your feet that you can turn on and off at will. Listen to the kind

of music they'll play at the dance as much as you can. Try to walk in time to it.

Whatever you do, don't

hinge all this on, "I HAVE TO GET THIS GIRL". Just do what you can to learn to dance. It WILL reward you

throughout life.

Holmes
10-20-2004, 08:57 AM
If it's dance

or hip-hop (anything with a steady beat), dancing is easy.

Not necessarily true. Compared to salsa

maybe, but if you're a "rhythm dork," it's all equally elusive at first.

Good post otherwise. I like the

aerobics class idea.

Pancho1188
10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Not necessarily

true. Compared to salsa maybe, but if you're a "rhythm dork," it's all equally elusive at first.

Good post

otherwise. I like the aerobics class idea.
True. Thank you for pointing out my obvious ignorance of

people who have not been heavily involved in music as I (not that I'm a musician---unless you count 9 years of

viola---or anything, but I do enjoy the art). I am a little naive because I've never had any formal training but

seem to have a good grasp of the fundamentals.

Holmes
10-20-2004, 09:38 AM
The key to

successful dancing, for the man, is (TA-DA!) CONFIDENCE. You have to feel like you know what you are

doing.

That's it.

Feeling sexy begets being sexy. Always. To move with ease

and confidence requires feeling easy and confident - unless you're a really good faker.

oscar
10-20-2004, 10:09 AM
bizraterx,

If you click on the

link in post #5 on this thread (http://pherolibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52133#post52133) you will see

all that you'll ever need to know about dancing! ;)

O :)

Pancho1188
10-20-2004, 10:15 AM
bizraterx,

If

you click on the link in post #5 on this

thread (http://pherolibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52133#post52133) you will see all that you'll ever need to know about dancing! ;)

O :)
I was waiting for

someone to whip that link out, O! :thumbsup:

bizraterx
10-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the help guys im

checking on the links....ill finish the post after the dance ....thats if i go !?!??!?!

Elk Dreamer
10-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Always get a good grasp on

those fundamentals when you have a chance,LOLOLOl
Elk
My favorite Dance and scene is in the Movie Scent of a

Woman ahhhhh nothing more magic than whirling around the floor bathed in the mones,feeling the soft feminine curves,

ever so lightly in all the right places.

Holmes
10-20-2004, 09:07 PM
My favorite

Dance and scene is in the Movie Scent of a Woman

The Tango?

"Daayum, da Tango iz hawd,

yo!" - Alicia Keys

bizraterx
10-22-2004, 06:22 PM
im chikining out of going to

the dance .....guys help before i regret not going for the rest of my adult life!!

TRock
10-22-2004, 07:25 PM
just go to the dance man. you

don't have anything to lose. reread david d's stuff because it seems like you're inner game is weak. you're

probably visualizing looking dumb in front of other people and replaying those thoughts back in your head. alpha

males don't worry about what other people think or say. think about it like this, would u rather go out and fail

worst case scenario or not go out at all and spend the might your your right hand?

btw if music is hip hop

all you need to do is know how to grind. circular motion or just follow that ass. i can't dance for shit but i know

how to grind and i go to clubs every weekend. you can do it man, don't be a sucker.

bizraterx
10-22-2004, 11:24 PM
yes thats precisely the kind

of frame set i have to get into.....i keep picturing myself just standing around during the dance not doing

anything. i live in Los Angeles so im sure there will be alot of hip hop songs, as well as some techno, and some

latin music.

bizraterx
10-28-2004, 08:22 PM
well its the day before the

homecoming dance and unless a sudden flash of inspiration strikes me i will not be going

Elk Dreamer
10-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Just put those pheromones on

and go boy you only live once and it might just as well be now. If you don't dance you can mix it up somewhere else

maybe the coat room or the lounge. Keep your eye out for the unusual opportunity they always present themselves.

Magic is alive,magic is afoot!

Elk :thumbsup:

Pancho1188
10-29-2004, 05:50 AM
If it's because you don't

think you can dance, then *smack*.If it's because you're chickening out, follow these simple steps:

Click on this link:

http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/default.asp?artist

ID=1043188 (http://launch.yahoo.com/artist/default.asp?artistID=1043188) (you might have to log into yahoo or something...I'm not sure)
2. Click on "Watch" for the video

"Lean Back"
3. Watch video
4. Imitate move
5. Check out other videos such as "Yeah"
6. Imitate as necessary

Go to dance
8. Listen for first rap/hip-hop song with simple beat and get on the floor
9. Repeat moves to that

beat
10. Vary moves as necessary
11. Check out other people
12. Repeat moves of those who look good; avoid those

who suck

If you have someone to dance with at this dance and do not go...you will lose all respect for

yourself.

If it's because something happened, then good luck next time around.