PDA

View Full Version : Need Help staying Healthy

Rover The Dog
10-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Hello

everyone, I am generally unknoweldgeable about all of this but recently after arriving at college I find that two

things are much harder to keep up with than back at home. The first being sleep and the second keeping up with a

healthy diet. Im afraid that I am not getting the correct amount of vitamins, protein, and other necessary

ingredients in my diet. So i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of suplements that is relatively

inexpensive (doesnt have to be) but does not require alot of time. Ive read similar threads and I am impressed with

the knowledge that a good many of you have in this area, so any help would be truly appreciated.

Bruce
10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Rover,
Go to

vitaminshoppe.com
I probably spend a hundred bucks a month there for me and my family, but it is money well spent

IMO. A good multi-vit supplement is probably a good place to start. I take Nutri 100. It's a monster vit and you

only take it once a day. Eat good though, and get some regular exercise.

Bruce

Mtnjim
10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Not exactly supplements,

but...
When you go to the mall, park at the far end of the parking lot.
Walk around planters, not shortcut

through.
Use the stairs, not the elevator.

These simple things will help a lot with the "freshman 15"

without it seeming you are "working out"!

DAdams91982
10-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Need some stats for this

one... About the only thing I can tell you is a good soluable daily vitamin. Vitmin-75 by Now Foods (Can be found

at www.1fast400.com (http://www.1fast400.com)). for anything beyond that give me some information... Day

to day activities... types of meals (And also what is available, like chow hall and all that)... how many times you

eat in a day. And even what type of climate you live in... and to top it all off.. the normal stats like weight,

height, Body fat (If you know it)... and level of training you are at in excersise (Beginner, Intermediate,

Expert).. that type of thing.

Adams

Rover The Dog
10-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Sorry about the delay, its

hard for me to check back in recently. i have been busy with a lot of stuff. I like the suggestions. As far as

stats well i live in a humid warm climate but its turning winter so im sure it will cool down some. Probably eat

two or three times a day ranging from salads, pizza, to sandwhiches. thats pretty much it there. probably five

eight or five nine, im kinda on the skinny size roughly 136pounds. bodyfat = 15% i think. Smoke rarely. Drink on

weekends. And havent excersized since i came but i do get a lot of walking done through the campus.

DAdams91982
10-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Sorry

about the delay, its hard for me to check back in recently. i have been busy with a lot of stuff. I like the

suggestions. As far as stats well i live in a humid warm climate but its turning winter so im sure it will cool down

some. Probably eat two or three times a day ranging from salads, pizza, to sandwhiches. thats pretty much it there.

probably five eight or five nine, im kinda on the skinny size roughly 136pounds. bodyfat = 15% i think. Smoke

rarely. Drink on weekends. And havent excersized since i came but i do get a lot of walking done through the

campus.
First off... Dont only eat 2 or 3 times a day... 6 is optimal (No Pizza, way to much grease)...

of course smaller meals... it keeps the metabolism fired up, and keeps things moving along in the body. Also it

avoids the body to enter the catabolic environment (Burns muscle for fuel), therefore will continue to only use fat

for food. Next.. I would do some weight training in there... say only 3 days a week or so... doesnt need to be

tough at first... just something light, and move up from there. STOP SMOKING ALL TOGETHER... slows blood

circulation.. TO ALL PARTS of the body (Read into that one). As for cardio... if you do pretty much walking around

campus that should be enough... especially with winter... cause your body will work harder (Raise heartbeat,

bloodpressure, and just pump things harder) to keep your core warm.

Oh yeah... A protien shake once or twice a

day can be SO beneficial... If flavor is a problem... Try muscle milk.. tastes JUST like a milk shake... filled

with protien, and TONS of amino acids.

Next Get some good fats... usually you dont get enough in a diet... Get

some Ground Flax Seed, or Flax Seed Oil (Both are very cheap), and some Fish Oil Caps (Very Cheap Also).

Thats

about the basics.

Let me know some of your goals.. and we can assess from there.

Adams

Pancho1188
10-19-2004, 05:30 AM
I've said this before, but

the easiest step to gaining health without even changing your eating habits or exercising is to only drink water

(juice/milk okay)...and drink lots of it. Obviously, you're going to drink alcohol on the weekends, so why make it

worse by downing those chemicals in soft drinks and coffee? Besides, you'll save a ton of $$$ this way...money you

could use on more beer. ;) If you're addicted to caffeine, switch that cup of joe with an extra 20 minutes of

sleep. If you're well hydrated and semi-well rested, you won't need caffeine.

Interesting side note: I've

noticed one thing about the transition from school to work. Nobody complains of being tired like they did in

college. It was like the thing to say in college. "Oh, man...I'm so tired." That was the typical way to say

hello in college. I've been gone for less than a year, and I think I've only heard of people being "so tired"

twice, and we do about twice as much work as we did in college (I know I never worked this hard ;)). Most of my

friends and co-workers (still in the ~22 range) party on the weekends and even on weeknights, too.