PDA

View Full Version : Voice Training

CollegeStudent
10-03-2004, 10:21 PM
I confess that I

didnt run this through a search first. :( But I dont think this has been explored.

Other than one-on-one

training, what would you guys recommend for voice training? I hear over and over that a deep sexy voice is

extremely powerful and I want to train myself for this. I have read some Ebooks on it, but its hard to follow when

you cant hear what they are talking about.

Is Vocal Coach something you guys recommend for this? I think its

more for singing, but they mention that its for speakers too. Thanks.

DrSmellThis
10-03-2004, 10:29 PM
If you learn to speak how a

good singer would sing I'd think it would help. I'm taking vocal lessons and have noticed a difference when I use

good technique. It's mostly breathing from down low and relaxing your throat. I think 4 lessons from any decent

coach and a month of practice would mke a difference. You can just ask local singers who to see.

belgareth
10-04-2004, 05:37 AM
I confess

that I didnt run this through a search first. :( But I dont think this has been explored.
That's a shame

because there was a good conversation about it several weeks ago.

Pancho1188
10-04-2004, 05:43 AM
http://pherolibrary.com/forum/showthr

ead.php?t=11319&highlight=Voice+Coach (http://pherolibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11319&highlight=Voice+Coach)

CollegeStudent
10-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Thx Pancho, I was part of

that discussion. But no mention of any online lessons or CD that you could buy, only one-on-one. I wanted any

recommendations on online stuff, like Voice Coach.

Pancho1188
10-04-2004, 05:58 AM
I was just posting what Bel

was talking about. There was another thread speaking about voice training, but it didn't seem relevant. It just

talked about warming up your voice and making it deeper or something.

oscar
10-04-2004, 06:53 AM
College Student,

The issue here

is not that a search would or would not have provided you with the answer that you seek. The issue is that if you

HAD done a search you would have found an appropriate thread in which to post your question rather than begin a

thread which is redundant and only tangentially appropriate to the forum in which it's posted.

Oscar :(

Holmes
10-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Is Vocal Coach something you guys recommend for this?

Yes. For singing and speaking.

DrSmellThis
10-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Someone did recommend online

resources in the previous discusssion, including CD's, because I remember checking them out.

CollegeStudent
10-04-2004, 12:29 PM
*cowers in the corner*

nrector
10-04-2004, 02:05 PM
I found the following book

helpful:

The Fine Art of Erotic Talk
ISBN 0-553-37396

Not only wording, but exercise that help you train

your voice.

Gegogi
10-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Some women prefer a tenor voice,

so a deep bass voice ain't the cats meow. In some African cultures a high voice--soprano range--is considered way

macho.

DrSmellThis
10-04-2004, 02:13 PM
My range is exactly the same

as Johnny Cash's, so I guess I'd be SOL in Africa.

CollegeStudent
10-04-2004, 02:30 PM
I found the

following book helpful:

The Fine Art of Erotic Talk
ISBN 0-553-37396

Not only wording, but

exercise that help you train your voice.

Thx Ill check that out.

TRock
10-04-2004, 07:52 PM
non verbal sexual cuing also has

some voice training. i'm not sure how good it is though.

BassMan
10-04-2004, 08:11 PM
non verbal sexual

cuing also has some voice training. i'm not sure how good it is though.NVCS is good enough to remind you

how to approach your voice -- if -- (a) you've already spent a fair amount of time behind a dj mic (b) you've had

a fair bit of voice coaching, or (c) you've been fortunate enough to have a sexy voice that you've not spent time

learning how to use.

If none of these apply, NVSC MIGHT convince you to go take a few lessons...

-Bass

TRock
10-04-2004, 08:21 PM
sounds stupid but how do i figure

if i have a sexy voice? my voice is kinda deep with a stuffy nose sound. i asked a few people and they said my voice

is neutral.

Holmes
10-04-2004, 08:35 PM
sounds stupid but how

do i figure if i have a sexy voice? my voice is kinda deep with a stuffy nose sound. i asked a few people and they

said my voice is neutral.

It's not so much the voice itself as how you use it.

XySen
10-04-2004, 08:47 PM
I haven't tried this, but I've

heard about it.

http://www.altfeld.com/mastery/products/voicetapes.html

BassMan
10-05-2004, 08:20 AM
NVCS is good enough

to remind you how to approach your voice -- if -- (a) you've already spent a fair amount of time behind a dj mic

(b) you've had a fair bit of voice coaching, or (c) you've been fortunate enough to have a sexy voice that you've

not spent time learning how to use.

If none of these apply, NVSC MIGHT convince you to go take a few

lessons...

-BassI should probably clarify this - I'd been into the Merlot when I wrote it.

NVSC has

a pretty good description of why you would want to work on your voice, and a bunch of exercises. Its biggest problem

is that if you just bought the ebook, you don't have anything to compare yourself to. I personally don't think it

would have been enough to get me past the horror of hearing myself on tape for the first time :-)

I found it

very useful in reminding me of things to pay attention to, but I've had speech therapy, voice lessons, and have

spent hours listening to myself through headphones both speaking (I do voice-overs) and singing.

That all said,

the recorded course might be better - but I just bought the ebook, then scammed the text into a voice synthesizer so

I could record it and listen to it in my car.

-Bass

TRock
10-05-2004, 10:52 AM
That all said, the

recorded course might be better - but I just bought the ebook, then scammed the text into a voice synthesizer so I

could record it and listen to it in my car.

is that program free?

BassMan
10-05-2004, 10:57 AM
is that program

free?For the voice synth, I used TextAloud MP3 from nextup.com. It's shareware.

It's non-trivial to

get the text out of the protected e-book, tho.

-Bass

camusflage
10-05-2004, 12:35 PM
I managed to find an unsecured

PDF of NVSC.. Granted, it looks like it was printed out of IE to PDF, but that doesn't really matter if all you're

doing is dumping it to a speech synth.

BassMan
10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
I managed to

find an unsecured PDF of NVSC.. Granted, it looks like it was printed out of IE to PDF, but that doesn't really

matter if all you're doing is dumping it to a speech synth.Yup. I printed it to a pdf then saved the pdf in

rtf format and opened it in Word. What a pain. The format was a mess but it worked ok for the synth.

I've

listened to about the first third of it. Interesting book. Mostly stuff I'd already sort of figured out - the

voice, the half smile (he calls it walking smile), the eye contact stuff. But it was worth the $40 to have it all

together in one place to remind me.

InternationalPlayboy
10-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Here's a bit of

synchronicity, or as Deepak Chopra might say, "SynchroDestiny." As I have mentioned here several times, I have

bought several Nightingale-Conant courses and have recommended the company to others. One thing I like about them is

once you're an established customer, they offer select courses on a free trial basis. In the six years or so that

I've been dealing with them I have only returned one.

I received a letter from them In tonight's mail,

offering a 30 day trial on their audio program, Vocal Power: Speaking with Confidence, Clarity and

Conviction. Here are excerpts from the letter:

Your level of achievement, happiness, and

satisfaction in life is directly related to the outcomes of your communications. If you want them to be as

successful as possible, it is vital that you gain control of the one factor that, more than any other, determines

communication success, your voice.

<snip>

Roger Love will teach you how to truly

understand the power of your voice, maximize its pluses, and minimize its flaws. You'll exude confidence and

charisma every single time you speak, and when you do, your "audiences" - Clients, colleagues, your kids, your

spouse, and all the people you encounter through the course of the day - will hear exactly what you want them

to hear.

On top of the free trial offer, there's a chance to "earn $1000 as a paid professional

voice talent for Nightingale-Conant." (Plus airfare and accomodations in Chicago.)

With all this talk here

about vocal training recently, I don't think I should pass the offer up. Who knows, I may be on the way to a new

carreer as a voice over actor. :D

If I do order it, I'll report back here on what I think of it.

InternationalPlayboy
10-05-2004, 08:22 PM
One serious

question. Will vocal training help, or hurt my yodeling ability? :)