PDA

View Full Version : The lack of decent candidates is doing some good!

belgareth
09-28-2004, 02:34 PM
New Voters Flooding Election Offices

By ROBERT TANNER, AP National Writer

New voters are flooding local election offices

with paperwork, registering in significantly higher numbers than four years ago as attention to the presidential

election runs high and an array of activist groups recruit would-be voters who could prove critical come Nov. 2.

Cleveland has seen nearly twice as many new voters register so far

as compared with 2000; Philadelphia is having its biggest boom in new voters in 20 years; and counties are bringing

in temporary workers and employees from other agencies to help process all the new registration forms.

Nationwide figures aren't yet available, but anecdotal evidence

shows an upswing in many places, often urban but some rural. Some wonder whether the new voters — some of whom sign

up at the insistence of workers paid by get-out-the-vote organizations — will actually make it to the polls on

Election Day, but few dispute the registration boom.

"We're

swamped," said Bob Lee, who oversees voter registration in Philadelphia. "It seems like everybody and their little

group is out there trying to register people."

Some examples, from

interviews with state and county officials across the country:

_ New

registered voters in Miami-Dade County, a crucial Florida county in 2000, grew by 65 percent through mid-September,

compared with 2000.

_ New registered voters jumped nearly 150

percent in Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) in Ohio, one of the most hard-fought states this year.

And that's with weeks left until registration deadlines fall,

beginning in October.

Curtis Gans at the Committee for the Study of

the American Electorate said a clear national picture won't emerge until more applications are processed next

month. And Kay Maxwell of the League of Women Voters cautioned that some years that promise a boom in new voters

turn out to be duds on Election Day. The danger is that new voters may not be as committed to showing up at the

polls as longtime voters.

"Turning people out to vote is tougher

than getting them to register," said Doug Lewis, who works with local election officials as head of The Election

Center, a nonprofit group.

Rural areas, which trend conservative and

Republican, aren't necessarily reporting the same growth as urban, more liberal and Democratic strongholds: Brazos

County, Texas, hasn't beaten its 2000 numbers so far, though officials said applications are now rolling in. The

state of Oklahoma, however, saw new registrations in July and August increase by 60 percent compared with four years

ago.

Oklahoma officials said they had 16,000 new Republican

registrations, 15,000 new Democrats and 3,500 new independents. In Oregon, where new registrations grew by 4 percent

from January through Sept. 1, Democrats outregistered Republicans two-to-one.

Lewis and others say that no matter what the partisan breakdown, the registration boom is real — driven by

a swarm of organizations such as Smack Down Your Vote (a professional wrestling-connected campaign), Hip-Hop Team

Vote, traditional groups like the League of Women Voters; party-aligned groups such as America Coming Together, made

up of deep-pocketed Democrats; and many, many more.

"There seem to

be hundreds of them," Maxwell said.

The groups' focus is on states

where the vote was close in 2000, but even in several states where the election isn't as competitive, officials say

they are seeing new voters register in higher numbers. Officials in El Paso County, Texas, Maryland's Montgomery

County, a suburb of Washington, D.C., and California's Los Angeles County said registration numbers are on pace to

be higher than 2000.

In many jurisdictions, administrators complain

that the crush of new registrations is overloading staff.

Clerks

have hired extra workers in West Virginia, Ohio and Colorado. Philadelphia borrowed employees from other city

agencies and started working overtime two months earlier than the usual post-Labor Day push.

In Greenbrier County, W.Va., deputy clerk Gail White said she's

never seen so many people register in her 10 years working elections, and despite extra staff she's still behind on

processing new and absentee voters. "I get them all typed up, and the next thing I know, here comes another pile,"

she said.

The reasons seem clear — groups on all sides were

energized by the close election of 2000, which proved to doubters that a handful of votes can swing an election. In

2000, 9 percent of voters, roughly 9.5 million people, said that was their first time casting a ballot, according to

AP exit polls.

"It's the high-growth areas, the suburban and

exurban areas in those battleground states," said Scott Stanzel of the Bush-Cheney campaign. "There are

opportunities there because there are so many new residents to register."

The GOP has launched a volunteer, precinct-by-precinct effort in swing states, with separate help from a

Republican-aligned group, the Progress for America Voter Fund.

Democrats, who've consistently made turnout efforts the foundation of their campaigns, are devoting huge

amounts of resources, too. America Coming Together focuses solely on registering and turning out voters.

The McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform law has boosted efforts,

too. It cut off unlimited "soft" money to the parties, diverting some of that cash to community-based groups.

In Missouri, the result is that what used to be a mostly

volunteer-driven voter-registration effort by the Missouri Citizen Education Fund has blossomed into a bigger,

paid-staff operation, said executive director John Hickey. Funds jumped from a few thousand dollars a year to

$250,000.

Focused on poor, black neighborhoods in St. Louis,

mid-Missouri and rural areas, his staff went from registering a few thousand new voters in 2000 to at least 50,000

so far this year, Hickey said. In 2000, George W. Bush won the state by less than 80,000 votes.

DrSmellThis
09-28-2004, 04:00 PM
New voters obviously care a

great deal about the candidates in some way or the other. ;) More voters is good news. I often get stopped multiple

times per day here asking if I'm registered, often by cute girls (so I lie and tell them "no", but that "I need

some convincing" :)). The effort seems huge. If only campaign financing could be reformed, including for example

basing limits somehow on the average person's (as opposed to corporation's) real ability to contribute, we

might see some good things happen for democracy; or more precisely, a significant movement toward real

democracy. More participation by empowered individuals is what you want. What we have now is a mix of

democracy, classism and "oligarchy" (with military, corporate, and purely political elements). We cannot yet claim

to be an appropriate model for free societies, as much as ruling politicians (Remember Arnold's speech as posted in

the convention thread?) have been claiming this to be the case under the guise of "patriotism".

belgareth
09-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Greater involvement can only be

a good thing. It will hopefully lead to greater accountability on the politicians' part.

a.k.a.
09-29-2004, 07:01 AM
“Even voting for the right is doing

nothing for it. It is only expressing to men feebly your desire that it should prevail.” Henry David Thoreau

Historically elections are a Roman innovation. The idea of representative democracy is a compromise between direct

(Athenian) democracy and tyranny.
US democracy is a unique combination of direct (ballot initiatives, public

referenda, party caucuses, etc.) and representative democracy. It is encouraging to see more people registering, but

I won’t get my hopes up until I see more direct involvement.

If only campaign

financing could be reformed,

Agreed. I would also like to see term limits. Once we get the

corporate lobbyists and career politicians out of government, we’ll be a lot closer to the ideal of government “of

and for the people”.

belgareth
09-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Agreed. I

would also like to see term limits. Once we get the corporate lobbyists and career politicians out of government,

we’ll be a lot closer to the ideal of government “of and for the people”.
Agreed also. When term limits

were approved in one state and the politicians sued in court to have them removed it became obvious that they did

not have the people's wishes in mind.

Maybe a large percentage of newly registered voters won't bother to

vote, some will. Any improvement in voter turnout is a plus and can be leveraged into greater participation in the

next election.