PDA

View Full Version : If pheromones are important then why..

lordcrazyd
09-23-2004, 12:48 PM
if pheromones are important then why are some straight girls attracted to gay men. Gay men suposedly

have lower Rone- and perhaps None. So why are some straight females still attracted to them. This concerns me that

Pheromones is only a tiny bit involved in attractionm, and Perhaps Physical and Probably even Pyschological factors

are more important then the way we smell.
Don't Flame, Just a Thought.

Traggard
09-23-2004, 12:54 PM
True, pheromones are just a tiny bit of the attraction process. For instance, if you become a rock star many

more women will be attracted to you compared to when you were not a rock star. Does this mean that you pheromones

suddenly became 20 times better? Of course not. Social proof, confidence and behaviour patterns will always be much

more important then pheromones.

Pancho1188
09-23-2004, 01:22 PM
This

concerns me that Pheromones is only a tiny bit involved in attractionm, and Perhaps Physical and Probably even

Pyschological factors are more important then the way we smell.
Don't Flame, Just a Thought.
I won't

flame by saying you're wrong. Instead, I'll complain that you're stating the obvious.

If you're sexy and

confident, you could get any guy/girl you wanted. No question.

If you wear -mones but have a defeatist

attitude, you won't get guys/girls (except for ones with severe problems).

If you wear -mones but are very

unattractive---I'll even be so nice as to say unattractive means that your hair is messed up and your clothes are

dirty---you won't get guys/girls.

Not a single person on this forum that has been here a while has said

anything against these basic principles. In fact, every veteran says that you need to act and look the part of a

good catch while you're wearing -mones to be successful.

They don't call it The Cure, they call it

The Edge. The Cure sings songs about love, breakup, and heartache...The Edge helps to make sure that you get

the first and not the last...

DrSmellThis
09-23-2004, 01:43 PM
if

pheromones are important then why are some straight girls attracted to gay men. Gay men suposedly have lower Rone-

and perhaps None. So why are some straight females still attracted to them. This concerns me that Pheromones is only

a tiny bit involved in attractionm, and Perhaps Physical and Probably even Pyschological factors are more important

then the way we smell.
Don't Flame, Just a Thought.Not all females are attracted to gay males, and there

will be individual differences based on the biological and hormonal makeup of the "beholder", as well as the

"beholdee". But there are "unisexual" characteristics to pheromones, as much as researchers emphasize sexual

dimorphism. These generic attraction elements and aspects are ignored by the field for some reason. Perfumers regard

this insight as "old hat", on the other hand, and often employ it in their work. So it is possible for someone to be

attractive in a general sense that transcends sexual preference, or to be attractive in ways that interact with

sexual preference differences in less cut and dried ways.

All of this also dovetails with the psychology of

aesthetics, which cannot be reduced to pheromones. The psychology of pheromones is not a well developed field

yet. There are elements of attraction, such as the current male preferences for skinny women over "good child

bearers", that defy what "accepted pheromone theory," which comes from biology rather than psychology, would

have us believe; which is the idea that everything about attraction is testosterone and estrogen driven toward

maximizing reproductive fitness. I'm sure it is more complicated than that. One idea that I think has some possible

merit is that when a species experiences overpopulation and resource scarcity, nature has a corrective mechanism

that makes the childless alternative more attractive (even though there are regional exceptions). Survival of the

species is not in all situations equal to reproductive fitness.

CptKipling
09-23-2004, 02:21 PM
if pheromones

are important then why are some straight girls attracted to gay men.
As with most hard to grasp elements

involving women and attraction, I believe that this is to do with the challenge of having to win over a gay man.

There are other factors that could play a role, such as their non sleazy attitude towards women.

As a side

note; there is no reason to think that gay men have lower -none levels (as far as my understanding of current

knowledge goes anyway).

koolking1
09-23-2004, 02:29 PM
some of those gay leather

types look like they have more .none than I'd care to mess with.

BDC_Concepts
09-23-2004, 05:47 PM
BUMP on DST's response. I

had a similar response in mind. Thanks for saving me the time :D. There are plenty of social theories/stereotypes

as well (want what you can't have, they dress well, can cook, and are in touch with their feminine side, they make

women feel comfortable as they are not being pursued, etc etc.) Not every gay man dresses extraordinay, is a chef,

can decorate the hell out of an apartment, keeps their place nice and clean, and is emotional on a level that some

females love. These are things society attributes to the behavior of gay men (just an example). But on the other

hand, if a straight male had all those characteristics, I could see many women looking at those as

positives/attractive. Bottom line, your on the right track, just thinking of it the wrong way - pheromones play a

large role, but we are still social beings and there is more to it than what your sweating out or applying to your

body.

DrSmellThis
09-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Matt, you can no longer be

expected to like my post, since I edited it. :blink:

BDC_Concepts
09-24-2004, 07:36 AM
hahhaha...which part? Looks

the same to me :)

DCW
09-24-2004, 09:24 AM
The femine gay types are usually more

expressive and verbal.
Women seem to like that.

DCW

surfs_up
09-24-2004, 10:34 AM
the pheromone discussion hasn't touched on this yet, there is a delicate phase immediately after

initial contact, the "lets see if this can really work" bit, my friends used to call this the ten day test, if you

are still interested after ten days of doing things together and familiarizing yourself with the grosser aspects of

the other's real life, as opposed to the fantasy of them percolating in your brainstem, like, what is this ancient

green chicken doing in the back of the fridge and when exactly did you say your brother will be paroled and when was

your last visit to the clinic for STD testing and how many overdue credit cards do you have, that good old tyme

nitty gritty what the hell am I getting myself into round of questions, people not aren't so naive, they do

criminal background checks, if you're connected to the right lawyer you can get the credit reports even though

you're not supposed to, welcom back to hard ass reality pardner, well, lets assume you want this thing to hang

together during the break in phase, "high bandwidth" pheromones like beta-androstenol and androstadienone (there's

also androstadienol, a little known and veddddy cool isomer that is in all probability one of the secret

ingredients, part of Virginia Cutler's sauce) are an excellent way to keep the door open and the energy flowing. I

had a fantastic time with a beautiful girl half my age, a sophisticated, tough, brilliant woman who intimidated the

holy hell out of most men, me included until we got comfy with each other, I credit the pheros for keeping us

talking, the sense of connection alive through some rough patches... eventually we grew apart being from

fundamentally different planets although when it was happening it was soooooo happening....

Mtnjim
09-24-2004, 12:02 PM
"...Not every gay man dresses

extraordinay, is a chef, can decorate the hell out of an apartment, keeps their place nice and clean, and is

emotional on a level that some females love. These are things society attributes to the behavior of gay men (just an

example). But on the other hand, if a straight male had all those characteristics, I could see many women looking at

those as positives/attractive...."

In a friend !

BDC_Concepts
09-24-2004, 12:40 PM
"...Not every

gay man dresses extraordinay, is a chef, can decorate the hell out of an apartment, keeps their place nice and

clean, and is emotional on a level that some females love. These are things society attributes to the behavior of

gay men (just an example). But on the other hand, if a straight male had all those characteristics, I could see many

women looking at those as positives/attractive...."

In a friend !

LOL. The jokes

aside, is it really that hard to believe? Actually I read some dating/picking up women advise type of literature

about a year ago for fun and they suggested much of what I wrote. Now, wether or now the rest of the material was

worth while is anyone's guess, but yeah, a bunch of it talked about appearance, being clean, having a clean place,

clean sheets. It spoke of diversifying yourself, talents, and interests. And of course it commented on not being a

complete pig and acting, even you really aren't, like you're listening to the other person speak.

Pancho1188
09-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Seinfeld has the answer to

this one:

Elaine: Yeah. This friend of a friend knows this banker guy, he's, I don't know, 30 years,

unbelieveably gorgeous, of course he's gay.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elaine: Oh it was such a great

night.

Jerry: And did they suspect anything?

Elaine: No, I was a fantastic beard. I held hands, I called him

honey.

Jerry: And we discover yet another talent. Posing as a girlfriend for homosexuals.

Elaine: Oh it was

such a great night. Oh.

Jerry: You said that already.

Elaine: Oh I did?

Jerry: Yeah.

Elaine:

Oh.

Jerry: Oh no. Don't tell me. You like him?

Elaine: He's incredible.

Jerry: Yeah, but?

Elaine:

Yeah, I know.

Jerry: So?

Elaine: What?

Jerry: Not conversion. You're thinking conversion?

Elaine: Well

it did occur to me.

Jerry: You think you can get him to just change teams? He's not going to suddenly switch

sides. Forget

about it.

Elaine: Why? Is it irrevocable?

Jerry: Because when you join that team it's not a

whim. He likes his team. He's set with that team.

Elaine: We've got a good team.

Jerry: Yeah, we do. We do

have a good team.

Elaine: Why can't he play for us?

Jerry: They're only comfortable with *their*

equipment.

Elaine: We just got along *so* great.

Jerry: Of course you did. Everyone gets along great when

there's no possibility of sex.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elaine: Hey, I did

it.
Jerry: What?

Elaine: I turned him. He defected.

Jerry: Get out! (pushes Elaine) How? How did you do

that?

Elaine: Because I'm a *woman*. (swiveling her hips)

Ba-ba-ba-boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom-boom-boom.

Jerry: Elaine, do you know what you've done? You've give hope

to every woman who's ever said "Too

bad he's gay".

Elaine: Well it's a lesson for the kids out there.

Anything's possible. Jeromy, I have *hit* the jackpot. The perfect man. Nothing but sex and shopping.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jerry: He went back? What do

you mean he went back?

Elaine: He went back.

Jerry: I don't understand it. You were having such a great time,

the sex, the shopping.

Elaine: Well here's the thing. Being a woman, I only really have access to the, uh...

equipment, what,

thirty, forty-five minutes a week. And that's on a good week. How can I be expected to have the

same

expertise as people who *own* this equipment, and have access to it twenty-four hours a day, their

entire

lives.

Jerry: You can't. That's why they lose very few players.

Elaine: Yeah, I guess I never

really stood a chance.

Jerry: Well there's always a place for you, on our team.

Elaine: Yeah. (teary-eyed)

Thanks.