PDA

View Full Version : A "point" of etiquette

DrSmellThis
09-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Hey

folks, I have a humble request.

Could y'all please make every effort to post things in existing threads

related to a topic if possible, rather than starting a new thread for every question or comment?

The recent

trend of starting a new thread for everything has caused just about every single quality thread on the forum

to become hopelessly buried in ancient history. Many hours of work went into the more quality threads.

Posting

a thread for a question that has been asked a hundred times elsewhere (...except for brand new people who don't

know about searching, etc. I don't mean to discourage newbees from asking whatever they need to.), posting

pointless theads; or posting a thread on a topic where another recent thread addresses the same topic, leaves recent

forum pages devoid of quality threads. Instead you get a bunch of one or two post threads, some of which are

superfluous.

I gather that people typically do this to chase points, instead of just letting the points come

naturally (like today's NBA players :)). I feel that's unfair to the others on the forum, and can even make

products harder to sell, since many fine products have one or a few special threads devoted to them that are now

deeply buried, to be found only by the most diligent sleuths among us. I have earned a ton of points, more than I

could ever use, and have never had to do anything like this to get them.

Thanks for listening.

Pancho1188
09-16-2004, 06:06 AM
Very true. It is a large

temptation to start a new thread to reap all of the benefits of gaining points. Let me mention now that it won't

work because your post will get 2 replies and that'll be it unless you start engaging in pointless banter. We have

a pointless banter forum, called open discussion (notice I post there frequently... ;)). Please, for the good of

pheromone users, don't give the mods a hard time by posting irrelevant things in the pheromone forum because it

will get more hits. Apparently, that is becoming another point-hoarding tactic, but that is one in which the

moderators will deliver the proverbial smackdown on you.

That all being said, oh honorable DST, I would have to

point out that you started many of those quality threads, and by posting on them, you get all of those points that

you "never had to do anything like this to get them." Think about that. ;) ;)

Note: I post as much as you do,

but I usually reply to others and don't have any earth-shaking threads that create a lot of discussion...look at

the pathetic amount of points I have? :) Just kidding.

Seriously, though...you really only need points for one

major thing...the coveted 50% off coupon. Once you get that, what more do you need? Just do what the good

doctor ordered... :)

bjf
09-16-2004, 06:12 AM
Hey folks, I have

a humble request.

Could y'all please make every effort to post things in existing threads related to a

topic if possible, rather than starting a new thread for every question or comment?

The recent trend of

starting a new thread for everything has caused just about every single quality thread on the forum to become

hopelessly buried in ancient history. Many hours of work went into the more quality threads.

Posting a

thread for a question that has been asked a hundred times elsewhere (...except for brand new people who don't know

about searching, etc. I don't mean to discourage newbees from asking whatever they need to.), posting pointless

theads; or posting a thread on a topic where another recent thread addresses the same topic, leaves recent forum

pages devoid of quality threads. Instead you get a bunch of one or two post threads, some of which are

superfluous.

I gather that people typically do this to chase points, instead of just letting the points come

naturally (like today's NBA players :)). I feel that's unfair to the others on the forum, and can even make

products harder to sell, since many fine products have one or a few special threads devoted to them that are now

deeply buried, to be found only by the most diligent sleuths among us. I have earned a ton of points, more than I

could ever use, and have never had to do anything like this to get them.

Thanks for

listening.

Yea, don't be like Jon Koncak! :rofl:

I'd say that everytime people talk about

getting points for starting threads or the discount coupon, it partially encourages it.

SweetBrenda
09-16-2004, 06:36 AM
Hey folks,

I have a humble request.

Could y'all please make every effort to post things in existing threads related to a

topic if possible, .Understood. :thumbsup:

DrSmellThis
09-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks, Pancho :) ;)

I

appreciate your response as always, lady B!

And bjf, what can I say? If you're a team player like Jon -- or

Kobe -- you get your opportunities to score. We're all in this to win in the game of life. ;) If calling attention

to a problem increases it, then so be it! The undeniable problem wasn't going to go away by itself either. But if

you're gonna go ho for points, people will notice, and we'll be on you like ugly on a Baldwin brother.

DrSmellThis
09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention the

most obvious advantage of posting in a thread that already matches your topic: It puts all the related information

in one place, making the "collected wisdom" on each thing easily available to all, and easy to put together in your

mind. For example, remember when Mobley collected a bunch of Chikara hit stories in one place, and how nice that

was? Well, he wouldn't have had to spend all that time (Thanks, Mobes!!) if people didn't, say, start a different

thread for each Chikara hit story. If each member familiarizes themselves with the forum a little bit, and gets to

know the longer threads with more views, we can continue to build great, informative threads and people will know

right where to go for cutting edge, current information (rather than having to use the cookbook or whatever).

Otherwise, it's too chaotic, nobody learns much, and you are reinventing the wheel every other day. (For example,

today there was a discussion among several forum members about whether regular Edge is scented or unscented. I saw

that as a biproduct of recent posting trends.)

Pancho1188
09-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I still say we should have a

product or hit or testimonial forum that is strictly regulated to limit the threads to one for every product on

Love-Scent to discuss them. Sure, people mix and match, and we could worry about that as the threads developed to

test the success...

...that would prevent all of these new threads posting experiences with a product since

there would be one nice, efficient thread in the product/hit/testimonial section...