PDA

View Full Version : Love at First Sight: Here Comes the Science

camusflage
09-13-2004, 10:36 AM
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3643822.stm

According

to a study at Ohio State University, love at first sight does exist. The study indicates people quickly form

conclusions about the type of relationship that will be formed with someone upon first meeting them. Basically,

whether spending three, six, or ten minutes together, people who responded more positively in a follow-up

questionnaire formed a closer relationship, regardless of how much time was spent together in the initial meeting.

One of the researches posited that people who form more positive impressions of the future of the relationship will

be more open, strengthening it more quickly.

DrSmellThis
09-13-2004, 12:26 PM
I think A1 is a good phero to

contribute to that phenomenon.

nbnbtc
09-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Amen to that, Doc.

bjf
09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately, I never have found a-1

helped my applications.

Maybe I am using it wrong, or shouldn't be using it at all.

DrSmellThis
09-13-2004, 02:25 PM
As soon as A1 becomes

available, I'm sure there will be a rush of new info that might help. In general, I aim for a quantity a little

higher than the -none I use, (or just one drop), and spread it to multiple places on my body, including hairy

areas.

Holmes
09-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Interesting. I'm waitin' for the

A1!

Mtnjim
09-13-2004, 05:31 PM
... In general,

I aim for a quantity a little higher than the -none I use, (or just one drop), and spread it to multiple places on

my body, including hairy areas.

In my 4-3-2-1 mix it's 2 A1 and 1 ~none. (Or it "sniff" was, I

ran out of A-1 the other day)

jvkohl
09-13-2004, 07:08 PM
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3643822.stm

The link

to news about this study (above) clearly states they "paired off 164 students, focusing on same-sex friendships -

but said it could be applied to dating."

I think the media report as linked by camusflage leaves much to be

desired, since it says nothing about the same-sex focus of the study. Instead, it leads you to believe that love at

first sight is a finding in heterosexual dating experiences.

On another discussion list it was

noted:
"Comment:
I wouldn't get overexcited over studies confined to students.

There is a sexual

dimension to pre-dating first-sight meetings. 'Lust at first sight' might be an equally good indicator.

'Love-at-first-sight' might apply to objects which may be expected to change little after that first sight, such

as house, a painting, a car etc that one can actually evaluate by sight (and have the unseen portion repaired or

altered to match the love felt).

A perfect date may suddenly change the heart's desire if they open their

mouth and speak in a manner that show exceptionally low intelligence (relative to the suitor). That dimension is

missing from a study involving only Uni students where one can reasonably expect that one has many intellectual

aspects in common before a word is spoken. The other may smell horribly as you approach, move in a way that

indicates incompatibility to you etc.

Literal first sight is a poor indicator, a dynamic dimension is better

(seeing the other move), interaction even better (you converse). Perhaps 'initial-interaction' may be a better

expression (I'm sure the paper rises above my concerns - I respond at newspaper level :)"

JVK