PDA

View Full Version : how many ml per npa "dab"?

ismellgood
09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
This question is carried over from another thread, so that the title might attract an answer.

For the

purposes of mixing carefully, does anyone know about how many ml (obviously <1) a typical "dab" from the npa bottle

provides?

CptKipling
09-10-2004, 04:49 PM
www.pherolibrary.com (http://www.pherolibrary.com)

...or the link at the top right of your page.

Navigate to the spreadsheet in the Pheromone Calculator section.

Indigo
09-10-2004, 11:39 PM
www.pherolibrary.com (http://www.pherolibrary.com/)

...or the link at the top

right of your page.

Navigate to the spreadsheet in the Pheromone Calculator section.I think the

calculator does not deliver correct results. I tested dabbing with a glass bottle ( opening diameter about 11mm)

without inlet with alcohol anf got quite exact 0.03 ml (+/- 10 %) per dab. If you are interested read this thread:

http://pherolibrary.com/forum/showth

read.php?t=11387&highlight=application (http://pherolibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11387&highlight=application)

I will get NPA this today or next week and will measure its

diameter. As I will refill it into the mentioned bottles I will perhaps do a test with the NPA bottle and post the

results.

Best regards

Ingo

ismellgood
09-11-2004, 10:19 AM
CptKipling,

The

NPA opening is peculiar. Although nominally ca 8mm diameter, it is largely blocked by an inset plastic ring, making

use of the (opening area times a constant) formula from the spreadsheet impossible.

Any other ideas

specifically for NPA?

ismellgood
09-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Indigo,

Please do let

me know the results of your actual test with the alcohol, because simple diameter measurement will not work with

that unique dispenser top.

bjf
09-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Ismellgood, for the most part, people

pull out the dispenser top of the NPA bottle, because it is easier to dab that way and the drops run out to quick.

Indigo
09-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Indigo,

Please do let me know the results of your actual test with the alcohol, because simple diameter measurement will

not work with that unique dispenser top.I absolutely agree to bjf. I read that many people pull out the

inlet to dab.
That is the only way to get consistent results!

Regards

Indigo

CollegeStudent
09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
I absolutely

agree to bjf. I read that many people pull out the inlet to dab.
That is the only way to get consistent

results!

Regards

Indigo
Unfortunately you need to reinsert that plastic top after every

application. The cap to the bottle requires that plastic insert in order to make a proper airtight seal. Without

it, I think it will slowly evaporate away.

Indigo
09-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Unfortunately you need to reinsert that plastic top after every application. The cap to the

bottle requires that plastic insert in order to make a proper airtight seal. Without it, I think it will slowly

evaporate away.
Yes, that's not very convenient. That is why I will transfill it to one of my 10ml

bottles with a pipette cap ( In my thread

http://pherolibrary.com/forum/sh

owthread.php?t=11387&goto=newpost (http://pherolibrary.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11387&goto=newpost)
there is a picture of what I use).
With them I can comfortably

drop ( 0.025 ml per drop ) the product for dabbing without annoying handicraft.

Regards

Indigo

ismellgood
09-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Indeed, the basis of my

starting this thread was to get the precise ratio of chikara to npa to mix in a seperate container (I use the tiny

free sample vials that perfume makers distribute, after emptying them and washing them thoroughly). For sprays I

carefully spray into a tiny funnel into the vial, and then use a hypodermic syringe for open mouth bottles (npa).

Benefits of the tiny vials (besides being free) are that they are small for travel, and the small volume lessens the

risk of going bad before using the mix.

bjf
09-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Unfortunately

you need to reinsert that plastic top after every application. The cap to the bottle requires that plastic insert

in order to make a proper airtight seal. Without it, I think it will slowly evaporate away.

Is this

true? I have had bottles of NPA seemingly evaporate.

However, I haven't seen too many reports of that (just

one) and I would think most of us don't reinsert the plastic thing.

ismellgood
09-12-2004, 06:12 AM
I have not removed the

dispenser top, and think the benefit to risk ratio for removal may not be good.

bjf
09-12-2004, 06:15 AM
The drops are difficult to use

though..... first off, one drop can be too much of an application. Secondly, it seems that the drops run quickly

out of the bottle and it is hard to keep it from sticking to one drop.

ismellgood
09-12-2004, 06:34 AM
I have not contaminated the

npa bottle by dabbing it (I remove liquid with a syringe, and mix in a seperate vial with cologne). Even if I did

choose to dabble in dabbing, I would cover the top with my skin before inverting and maintain contact until the

bottle was upright again.

InternationalPlayboy
09-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Is this

true? I have had bottles of NPA seemingly evaporate.

However, I haven't seen too many reports of that (just

one) and I would think most of us don't reinsert the plastic thing.

I though I remember seeing

something in a thread here that if you don't replace the plastic insert, then the bottle is prone to leakage. Just

got out of bed and have some things pending this morning, so I'm too lazy without enough time to do a thourough

search though. I make a habit of repalcing the insert in NPA and the similar WAGG bottle when I dab, just to be on

the safe side.

MOBLEYC57
09-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Burgerflickle!:rasp: Awhright,

dahmit!:frustrate Everybody dabbing NPA without the plastic insert, raise yer hand.:think:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeze.:angel:

Top of the morning to ya!

CptKipling
09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah I posted about the dropper

insert problem a while ago. It's a pain but it's the best method in the lond run.

RE various application

volumes, see the new thread (in a minute!).

bjf
09-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Woah. Unfortunately I lost my Wagg

dropper insert thing. I just popped on the NPA top back in, though.

CptKipling
09-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Woah. Unfortunately

I lost my Wagg dropper insert thing. I just popped on the NPA top back in, though.
If you want proof, just

shake your WAGG, although you probably don't want to do that. The leak should be quite minimal if it is kept still

and upright, so you will probably be ok.

BassMan
09-13-2004, 07:56 AM
The dropper tops in WAGG and NPA

are designed for oils, not alcohol. I _always_ dump the contents into a regular boston round with either a dropper

or regular top.

We've talked about changing these fool bottles for ages...

-Bass

bjf
09-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Oh, that is why the drops spill out

so quickly. If BDC were manufacturing those items, I'd bet they'd get the problem solved

quickly.

Incidently, there are two NPA bottles, one is blue, one is brown. The blue one seems to evaporate

on me (I always thought I was crazy). The brown one may be fine, however, without the dropper.

ismellgood
09-13-2004, 08:31 AM
The blue npa bottle has a

shorter neck than the brown