PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Frances

avce
09-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Wow.. anyone see the ISS

image of the storm? Its

huge!!

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-9/hires/iss009e20440.jpg
ht

tp://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040903/capt.flan10709030012.hurricane_frances_flan107.jpg

DrSmellThis
09-03-2004, 02:55 AM
I understand it's very rare

for two category four storms to come this close together, and that Frances might even make it to category 5 (I hope

not). All we can do is pray, and hope people are heading inland by now. I wonder if traffic is even moving?

Jazsy4
09-03-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm sitting here in my apartment

.......battened down, waiting for the storm to arrive. My apartment complex was supposed to put up the

shudders............but got behind........A few of my neighbors came out to help me install them and we finished up

about 1/2 hr ago.
Yesterday I had to drive to Miami in the middle of the day..about 1230. Heading south the

traffic was fine.........heading North forghetaboutit !! On my return trip to WPB a few hours later......I was

surprise to find absolutely no traffic I couldn't believe it.........I flew home.
Today is probably a different

story.....though I haven't been on I95....I've heard the last minute folks are jamming it up. Trying to get gas

or water is a nightmare. Everyone is sold out. I was lucky before I returned from Miami yesterday.... I had to

hit 5 gas stations to find one with gas......but I got some. I went to the grocery store a little

earlier........the shelves are bare......people are buying up everything. I didn't get any extra

water........ah...Gatorade will have to do !

I just stepped outside ...Presently there are some

winds.........little rain but not much else. People are looking for a place to stash their cars.
Wish me

luck.....If I don't lose power I'll keep you all posted...ciao
Ps...It might be time to start

drinking.......:LOL:

Pancho1188
09-03-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm listening to "In the Air

Tonight" as I read this... :)

Jazsy4
09-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Just went

outside..............Here it comes..........strong winds and rain whipping around ..................Pretty

scarry.....................enoungh to make me run in......

DrSmellThis
09-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Update:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/09/03/hu

rricane.frances/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/09/03/hurricane.frances/index.html)

belgareth
09-03-2004, 06:24 PM
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/

You can see the actual satelite images, both

still and animated. Look at the first column, East Conus.

BassMan
09-03-2004, 08:22 PM
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/

You can see the actual

satelite images, both still and animated. Look at the first column, East Conus.
I live right here in

Orlando (Central Florida).

I've lived in this state since 1978, and in my house siince 1986. This is the first

time I've shuttered.

I took the last two days off work. We scrounged plywood (found a little lumber yard on the

internet, while others were standing in 7-8 hour lines). Enlisted help from a friend (and a large mammal he is, too)

to shutter. In return, I've spent two 14-hour days helping friends shutter. Shuttering is very hard work. Thank

Goodness for large mammals.

The storm appears to be disorganizing, which is a good thing. Even though we may not

need the shutters this time, it feels safe and protected to have built them for several families for use in the

future.

My birthday is Sunday, and I have friends planning to come spend the storm here and have a happy

hurricane/birthday party.

May this storm pass us over without trauma.

My warmest thanks to those who have

helped me.

Best wishes to all of us who experience storms of whatever persuasion.

-Bass

bjf
09-04-2004, 03:07 AM
any updates from florida residents?

Jazsy4
09-04-2004, 05:16 PM
It's 8:10 PM Saturday

night............I'm here in West Palm Beach, FL. I can't believe I still have power !!.I tried to get online

earlier in the day but couldn't......I'm surprised I'm able to right now. I'm all shuddered in .......so all

I hear is the wind and the rain. The wind is so strong it's forcing rain in thru a closed window. It's really

coming down now..............The wall of the western side of the eye is going over right now............they say

it's going to get worse.

belgareth
09-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Tha satellite pictures make it

look like the eye is still offshore and building. Hard to say for sure from just pictures though.

DrSmellThis
09-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Our prayers are with you.

Jazsy4
09-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks DR..........As I sit here

all I can hear is the constant whipping of the wind. Sometimes it comes in spurts....say.......20 seconds of strong

winds .............then it calms a little. I'm wonder how my car is doing? Thnaks for the kind words..........I

think I'll put on a few dabs of Pheros ( just cause I love the scent) and have a cocktail...............Oooooooooo

my lights just flickered...

DrSmellThis
09-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Well, if we stop hearing from

you we'll just assume you lost power like 1.5 million others.

The satellite animations Bel posted are very

striking.

I wish the Pheros could make the hurricane go away! Maybe it will be relaxing.

Jazsy4
09-04-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm not complaining mind you

....but I can't figure how I still have power and my friend 1/2 mile away has none.........Luck is with me

bjf
09-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Given Pheros' manliness - it is not

boyish like those other citrusy comercial colognes, and makes no apologizies for that - I am sure it

can handle Hurricane Frances. :whip:

DrSmellThis
09-04-2004, 06:02 PM
:lol: :LOL:

Jazsy4
09-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Hahahahahaha..........that's

funny..........I put my Pheros and Chikara with my important papers in case I have to leave quickly.

Man.....I wish you could hear what I hear.......Sometimes..I think..the wind gets under the shudders...........and

it makes a strange screaching sound...like it's trying to rip them out. It's kindof spooky right now.

bjf
09-04-2004, 06:06 PM
wow that is really scary to hear. It

is terrible you have to go through that.

Jazsy4
09-04-2004, 06:09 PM
oh boy.....the wind just seemed

to shake the building.and made a really horrible noise...........Gotta go .gotta get into the bathroom.......(the

safe room).see ya

DrSmellThis
09-04-2004, 06:09 PM
At least you can say West Palm

Beach, Fla is the most happening spot on he planet right now. :run:

bjf
09-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Yikes. Be safe.

DrSmellThis
09-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Unbelievable. The west wall of

the eye hit the coast near Palm Beach, and with the hurricane moving 5mph the east wall would take approximately 12

more hours to even reach the shore. That is a big, intimidating storm. Hope you (and your building) are OK,

Jazsy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel: Let us know when you're OK! Looks like the biggest part of the eye is

north of you, so you won't get much reprieve until it's past.

MOBLEYC57
09-05-2004, 10:49 AM
I live right here in Orlando (Central Florida).

I've lived in this state since 1978, and in my

house siince 1986. This is the first time I've shuttered.

I took the last two days off work. We scrounged

plywood (found a little lumber yard on the internet, while others were standing in 7-8 hour lines). Enlisted help

from a friend (and a large mammal he is, too) to shutter. In return, I've spent two 14-hour days helping friends

shutter. Shuttering is very hard work. Thank Goodness for large mammals.

The storm appears to be disorganizing,

which is a good thing. Even though we may not need the shutters this time, it feels safe and protected to have built

them for several families for use in the future.

My birthday is Sunday, and I have friends planning to come

spend the storm here and have a happy hurricane/birthday party.

May this storm pass us over without trauma.

My warmest thanks to those who have helped me.

Best wishes to all of us who experience storms of whatever

persuasion.

-Bass
.....that another year of wisdom finds you heading out of Florida, fer I would not

want nothing happening to my favorite math teacher!:rant:

Good luck, and God's speed.:thumbsup:

DrSmellThis
09-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Yep, we have to hear from Bass

too!

BassMan
09-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Yep, we have to

hear from Bass too!Hey! I'm ok. Thankfully.

The storm decided to pass to the south of us. We've had

some wind, a whole lot less rain than was expected. My poor old roof is going to require some $$$. But I, and my

best friend (who spent the weekend here keeping me sane, and her boyfriend, who also spent the weekend here, and has

been an awesome good sport about this process) are fine, getting ready to go to sleep tonight. We never (knocking on

soggy plywood shutters) lost power. I have met some new, and very interesting people; I've enjoyed large quantities

of w(h)ine.

All things considered, a good birthday (my 53rd) overall.

Thanks to everyone for their concern.

There have been some _very_ hard hit folks out there. Please share with them your well wishes/prayers.

Thanks

again,
-Bass

Jazsy4
09-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks Dr and everyone for the

good wishes......Just got my internet back 5 minutes ago..........As you've probably seen on the news.....it's a

mess down here. Food supplies are low but getter better...still can't get milk.....It's like a war zone....the

stops lights are out ...causing chaos....when you find a supermarket that's open...there are tons of people....the

lights are out...you're walking around with minimal lighting ....they have generators to run the register, I guess

but not much else.......cash or check only....the shelfs are bare.....people grabbing what they can...boxes and cans

mostly....nothing cold or frozen of course. As trucks come in with food stocks they're bringing them in and

people are grabbing them from out of the boxes off the floor.......before they can get them on the shelfs.... and

the lines for gas remind me of back in the day...lol.

I'm about 5 miles from Palm Beach....roughly 50

south of Port St Lucie. It was a huge storm and as you know the effects of which have been wide spread. Thank God

I'm one of the lucky ones who' has gotten back power and water. At first we were supposed to boil water (if you

had the means and didn't have bottled) we're good today though.
I've got to hand to the city and state and

FPL.....their doing a great job. I still have friends close by who haven't gotten their power back. but it's an

enormous task. All in all it was a pretty scarry experience. There were a few moments when I thought my building

was gonna give...and with me in it!
DR Maybe I shouldn't have put on the Pheros ...Couldn't get rid

of that B$#%& Frances..........she just kept on hangin around:LOL: Somehow in the middle of all this I managed

to get one nasty cold so that hasn't helped....and my car got a few scratches from flying debri......other than

that ....I'm very lucky ...Of course my new Chikara was shipped on....I think last Thursday........and I don't

know when I'll be getting my mail....Oh well...Thanks again to all ...Jazsy