PDA

View Full Version : User Names??

Mtnjim
08-26-2004, 11:22 AM
From another

thread:
"mmmmh, perhaps I should change my username to Indigo!? It sounds not bad ( at least its a much more

interesting name than just Ingo )."

Sooooo!, I have a question. there are some interesting user names around

here. Some of them I wonder "what do they mean" or "where did they come from?".

So?

By the way, mine

is: I live in the mountains east of San Diego, and I'm Jim.

camusflage
08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Sooooo!, I have a

question. there are some interesting user names around here. Some of them I wonder "what do they mean" or "where did

they come from?".

Camus can do but Sartre is smarter. --Homer Simpson

I think my all time

favorite nom de plume is someone on a mailing list who is known as "Tsu Dho Nimh".

Mtnjim
08-26-2004, 02:11 PM
...I think my all

time favorite nom de plume is someone on a mailing list who is known as "Tsu Dho Nimh".

LOVE

it!!!!

belgareth
08-26-2004, 02:53 PM
From another

thread:
"mmmmh, perhaps I should change my username to Indigo!? It sounds not bad ( at least its a much more

interesting name than just Ingo )."

Sooooo!, I have a question. there are some interesting user names around

here. Some of them I wonder "what do they mean" or "where did they come from?".

So?

By the way, mine is: I

live in the mountains east of San Diego, and I'm Jim.
Mine was bestowed on me by some friends years ago.

I had to read the books the name came from to understand why.

ManBeast
08-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Brain of a Man. Body of a

Beast. Soul of Both.

MB

SweetBrenda
08-30-2004, 06:45 PM
We sure have some unique

nicknames around the forum..Is cool to know what they mean. Many times I've wonder about some of your names too..

What can I say about mine? *grins* I'm really not that Sweet as some might think.
:blink: I basically

couldn't think of anything better!
I like candy & SweetBrenda came to my mind...

Gegogi
08-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Gegogi means dog meat in

Korean. Once translated it appears negative to Americans as anything with "dog" in it is held in low esteem. But in

Korea dog meat is expensive and is only eaten by men in special restaurants. Dog soup is especially loved by macho

types. It's supposed to make you more virile. I haven't tried dog--never will--but once enjoyed frog legs...

SweetBrenda
08-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Gegogi

means dog meat in Korean. Once translated it appears negative to Americans as anything with "dog" in it is held in

low esteem. But in Korea dog meat is expensive and is only eaten by men in special restaurants. Dog soup is

especially loved by macho types. It's supposed to make you more virile. I haven't tried dog--never will--but once

enjoyed frog legs...Dog Soup!! :nono:

BassMan
08-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Mine is no big surprise - way too

much time spent wearing a bass.

(the instrument, not the fish).

-Bass

Holmes
08-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Mine fell none-too-gently upon me

Freshman year, when my drumming apparently reminded someone of (Santana's) Rodney Holmes. I wasn't

displeased.

So, no, nothing to do with Sherlock or Larry or Katie. Or John (unfortunately).

Bruce
08-30-2004, 08:17 PM
My handle? Well.... There is a bit

of history to it actually. It all started back in January of 1950. It was a cold snowy Chicago winter night when

churchyards yawned and hell itself breathed out contagion to this world. My mom said "You know... now could I drink

hot blood and do such naughty things etc etc" and my dad said: "Let's name him after Bruce Lee." And my mom said:

"Bruce who?" And my dad said "Never mind." And the rest is history.

Bruce (Lee) Boyd

Numanoid
08-30-2004, 08:40 PM
An old Gary Numan cd was playing

as I started the account. It was the first name that popped into my head. I'll probably change it eventually.

einstein
08-30-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm a physics major.
And Bruce

rejected my first couple of names.

Bruce
08-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I'm a physics

major.
And Bruce rejected my first couple of names.

I did? Dare I ask? :-)

B

Bruce
08-30-2004, 08:57 PM
This reminds me of an absolutely

true story.
I was sitting in a meeting once long ago at a clinic I worked at in the 70s. There was a whole room

full of people there and suddenly and unexpectedly someone asked a woman present there where she got the nickname

"Butters". Well, everyone was a little shocked because I think we had all just assumed it had something to do with

the woman's weight, which I would estimate at around a deuce, deuce and a half. I'm sure everyone just assumed it

was a take off of "Butterball" or something like that, but of course nobody ever talked about it. Then suddenly, in

the middle of the meeting, some doofus blurts out "Hey Butters, how did you get that nickname anyway?" "Whooooa,

what a jerk", we are all thinking, but without batting an eye Butters says "It's short for 'Butterfly'" and she

was dead serious. Er? You could hear a pin drop in there for what seemed like a very long time. Then doofus says

something like: "uh.. gee. I woulda thought; ya know; like; butter... um... it's sort of soft and like, ya know

and stuff. Butterfly, huh? Nice name."

Bruce

SweetBrenda
08-30-2004, 10:31 PM
This reminds me

of an absolutely true story.
I was sitting in a meeting once long ago at a clinic I worked at in the 70s. There was

a whole room full of people there and suddenly and unexpectedly someone asked a woman present there where she got

the nickname "Butters". Well, everyone was a little shocked because I think we had all just assumed it had something

to do with the woman's weight, which I would estimate at around a deuce, deuce and a half. I'm sure everyone just

assumed it was a take off of "Butterball" or something like that, but of course nobody ever talked about it. Then

suddenly, in the middle of the meeting, some doofus blurts out "Hey Butters, how did you get that nickname anyway?"

"Whooooa, what a jerk", we are all thinking, but without batting an eye Butters says "It's short for 'Butterfly'"

and she was dead serious. Er? You could hear a pin drop in there for what seemed like a very long time. Then doofus

says something like: "uh.. gee. I woulda thought; ya know; like; butter... um... it's sort of soft and like, ya

know and stuff. Butterfly, huh? Nice name."

BruceI needed a good laugh..:thumbsup:
(poor butters..)

haha

InternationalPlayboy
08-31-2004, 06:55 AM
My handle comes from

my all time favorite sitcom, which has my all time favorite character, Jethro Bodine. I hope to some day rise up to

his level of sophistication. ;) It's also a bit of irony as I tend to be a recluse at times. Though I guess it's

not a total lie as I have drunk beer south of the border on occasion.

I started using it at another board

after I found my original name, "Crunchy Frog" was too similar to another user's handle, so I asked to have it

changed there and carried it over to here. The complete title is "International Playboy and Double Naught Spy," but

that takes too long to type. :)

My handle? Well.... There is a bit of history to it

actually. It all started back in January of 1950. It was a cold snowy Chicago winter night when churchyards yawned

and hell itself breathed out contagion to this world. My mom said "You know... now could I drink hot blood and do

such naughty things etc etc" and my dad said: "Let's name him after Bruce Lee." And my mom said: "Bruce who?" And

my dad said "Never mind." And the rest is history.

Bruce (Lee) Boyd

Wow, people were aware of

Bruce Lee in 1950? I remember him in the Green Hornet show but didn't know his name until his movies reached

America in the 1970s. BTW, my middle name is Lee too.

Holmes
08-31-2004, 07:44 AM
BTW,

my middle name is Lee too.

Mine too. :)

real_wiseman
09-14-2004, 03:43 AM
I wanted to have the nick

"Wiseman", but I think it was taken already so I went for "real_wiseman".

Wiseman has been my nick in the

hacker-scene for about 6 years now...

// w