PDA

View Full Version : Carbs are not bad for you!

phersurf
08-09-2004, 09:39 AM
People,

carbs are not unhealthy. Really. They are a neccessary part of the human diet. It's when carbs are simplified and

seperated from other nutrients and fiber where they become a problem. In other words, vegies and fruit good,

Twinkies and Mountain Dew bad.

Yes you can loose weight on a low carb diet, but it's not healthy over a long

period of time. This is not the first time in dieting history that low carb diets have been around, it's not some

kind of major breakthrough. Please do not fall for the low carb hype.

The healthiest diet for the human

digestive system is high in complex carbs and moderate amounts of protein and low fat. And eat 5 times a day.

That's it, no magic

SweetBrenda
08-09-2004, 12:45 PM
:goodpost:Yes everything you

said is correct. But I'm one of those people who is always on a diet. If I don't watch what I eat I gain lbs right

away and that scares me. I do not drink soda I love water and gatorage ( <---bad, I know! ) bread and

candy/chocolate is my weakness! I can go with out having those things for a while but when I'm pmsing seems to me

is when I'm craving the sweet stuff like chocolate/candy etc,etc and as soon as I'm done enjoying them the

"guilty" feeling kicks in and I become paranoid about eating all those things. I eat with moderation but since I do

it for 2 or 3 days sometimes is when I see the resutls of eating a bit too much of them. So I can't say omg why am

I gainging weight? I know wat I done and than is time for me to get back in track doing the "diet thing". I did

Atkins and I was very commited to it. I hate eggs and I don't like red meat to much so when I tried to stay

under 20 carbs a day was hard since a banana or apple are high in carbs I basically didn't have much fruits

so I could eat something more full feeling! I was always reading labels and counting carbs in my head ( I seemed

obsessed to some of my friends when ever we went out to eat..) I did it for hmmm 3 months & I lost some weight was I

ever so proud of myself until the day I decided to join the GYM ohhh! God! was I giving a lecture from my personal

trainer.. I than understood how the whole thing works! and how bad Atkins can be for me. So I promised him I was

going to quick that diet and stick to the GYM and to eat healthy. He was very good I might say since I was very

commited to Atkins and I wanted to keep with it but to have him explain how the body works and how important is to

consume carbs/protein etc,etc in order for me to maintain a healthy body and to loose weight the right way. I

actually motivated 2 of my friends who never had been a member of any Gym in their lives! They both joined in and we

have fun when we all go together we are learning how to dance Salsa pretty fun in fact. I'm dedicated on going to

the Gym at list 4 times a week now I'm starting to go on Saturdays too and that is a big one LOL! (trust me) I no

longer do Atkins but I find myself counting carbs from time to time maybe because I learned well the Atkins diet.

All I'm saying is that trying to stay healthy and losing weight may sound easy to do but it's one of the hardest

things ever! (for me anyhow) I am trying to get rid of 20 lbs and I won't give up on my goal. I cheat sometimes and

eat junk food and that is when I tell you the guilty feelings kicks in but I get back on feet & start again... My

diet now consist in low-fat & fruits/vegetables. I make this delicous home-made salsa (to die for I might say..lol)

and I deep veggies instead of having cheese deep.. But anyway I saw your post so I felt like replying to it ..
You

said it right there's no magic you just gotta do it.

belgareth
08-10-2004, 07:24 PM
I admit to being more than a

little confused by the whole issue. I was taught about the food pyramid in school and have seen it revised several

times. It's always nice to hear from somebody what they believe but I have to keep in mind that Dr. Atkins was a

cardiologist. His had too have been very bright and educated far beyond that of a personal trainer. I've seen

reports claiming that long term subjects of his diet do very well and I've heard that it's very bad for you.

Personally, diabetes runs in my family and I am adverse to developing that problem. Needles are something that I

avoid under almost any condition and that is the most common method of administering insulin. My doctor and I

discussed it at length and even had me consult a nutritionist. In short, they advised me to keep my carbs low

because they CAN be bad for you in the quantities many of us like to eat them, even complex carbs.

The jury is

still out on the overall good or bad of a low carb diet. Too few people over too short a time span to be certain

either way. Many people refuse to believe it can be good for you while many others believe it is the best diet. On

thing that is certain, the average American's dietary habbits are resulting in unhealthy, over-weight people.

While I prefer to follow the advice of those most qualified to give that advice, the best and the brightest in

medicine are still widely divided on the issue of carbs.

TRock
08-11-2004, 09:51 PM
from what i've read the reason

low carbs makes you lose weight is because it severely limits what you can choose to eat. it's easy to grab a soda

and doughnuts but you have to actually cook up steak and eggs. like phersurf i don't eat simple/refined carbs like

bread, soda, candy etc. i'll eat fruit and veggies. and i try to eat 4-5 5 small meals a day. your metabolism

increases everytime you eat.

phersurf
08-12-2004, 08:41 AM
So true! One study I read showed

that the Atkins diet, for all it's hype, if followed ended up to be a low calorie diet. That's it, take in less

calories, you loose weight.

Holmes
08-12-2004, 08:56 AM
eat 4-5 5 small meals

a day. your metabolism increases everytime you eat.

That's the master key to weight loss.

DAdams91982
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
So true! One

study I read showed that the Atkins diet, for all it's hype, if followed ended up to be a low calorie diet. That's

it, take in less calories, you loose weight.
It doesnt involve lower calories.. in fact you can really add

alot more calories and still loose weight. When you go on a carb deficiet diet... your body burns protien and fat

for fuel... Carbs are the bodies main source of energy, and taking that away, it has to resort to other sources...

and burns them at a really rapid pace. But if you every been on the carb diet.. you know protien and fat is a

shitty source of fuel... and you feel like crap for quite awhile before you body somwhat adapts... and by then you

need to come off the carb diet so your body can recuperate and prepare for the next ketogenic run. (A carb diet

strait for a long time, isnt as effective as cycling it for 2 months at a time).

Now Im not a big proponent of

the Carb diet... I try to avoid it at all costs... BUT it has its time and it place.... some people just cant lose

weight, and this is a really life saver (Because its alot more dangerous being obese).

A proper diet and

excercise goes along way... and dont forget to cheat 1 day a week or you metabolism will get LAZY... most people eat

clean all the way through, and hit a plateau, and cant break it... firing up the metabolism with a fatty filled day

really helps this.

Adams

P.S. dont listen to alot of what Personal trainers say... most only know what the

text book tells them, and in all reality, more and more is being learned about the human body everyday, when it

comes to fitness.

belgareth
08-12-2004, 03:24 PM
protien and

fat is a shitty source of fuel... and you feel like crap for quite awhile before you body somwhat adapts...

That is the funny thing. Most the people I know on Southbeach or Atkins remark on having more energy! I

know that I have a lot more energy since restricting my carb intake but I don't cut it as much as the dieting

groups, couldn't as I love breads and pastas too much. :)

P.S. dont listen to alot of what

Personal trainers say... most only know what the text book tells them, and in all reality, more and more is being

learned about the human body everyday, when it comes to fitness.
While we think we know a lot about the

human body and how it works, science is learning new things all the time and is forced to revise 'medical facts'

every day, it seems. When doctors cannot even agree about the facts, it's hard to believe a trainer knows all the

answers.

DAdams91982
08-12-2004, 03:43 PM
That is the

funny thing. Most the people I know on Southbeach or Atkins remark on having more energy! I know that I have a lot

more energy since restricting my carb intake but I don't cut it as much as the dieting groups, couldn't as I love

breads and pastas too much. :)

While we think we know a lot about the human body and how it works, science is

learning new things all the time and is forced to revise 'medical facts' every day, it seems. When doctors cannot

even agree about the facts, it's hard to believe a trainer knows all the answers.
First part... I've

done that whole hardcore diet part, and for me, it was hell at first... Eating a burger, or eggs only for

breakfast, is nothing like a well balanced meal in terms of energy... I feel run down, and sluggish after a

breakfast like that... as opposed to my Protien shake w/ half cup of oats, blended with Natty peanut butter. But

like I always say... everyone is different.

Completely agree with your second statement.

Adams

belgareth
08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
A burger or eggs for breakfast

sounds awful. Mine is usually a whey protien drink with berries in it and maybe some sausages. Very filling and

keeps me going for a long while.

DAdams91982
08-12-2004, 04:04 PM
A burger or

eggs for breakfast sounds awful. Mine is usually a whey protien drink with berries in it and maybe some sausages.

Very filling and keeps me going for a long while.
Of course I was giving the extremes :lol:

Here ya

go... this says it

all
http://www.illwillpress.com/fatkins.html

Adams

belgareth
08-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Thank you. I needed that!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gegogi
08-12-2004, 05:20 PM
I've been a carb 'n veggie

lover for decades and avoid meat 'n eggs like the plague! Meat, espeically beef, plugs up the plumbing and makes my

body ache. Living in the tropics allows my organic garden to yield enough eggplants, choi sum, tomatos, papayas,

beans, etc., year round for daily use (I hate tasteless chemical filled produce). About the only things I buy at the

supermarket are sea salt, cane sugar and rice--lots of rice. Maybe it's my genes but despite all the rice I've

held steady at 135 to 140 LBs for the last 20 years.

ManBeast
08-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I've done many different

diets, and Atkins and South Beach aren't ideal... Ketogenic Diets work, but they require more dedication than the

average person is willing to put into meal planning/timed eating, and *gasp* working out (I'm a big believer that

dieting without working out, or working out without at least eating properly is kinda like running on a treadmill...

you don't get anywhere!).

MB

phersurf
08-25-2004, 08:59 AM
More info on

Atkins

http://www.atkinsfacts.org/atkins/1/Atkins.htm

belgareth
08-25-2004, 09:57 AM
That's very nice but still

doesn't address the questions and glosses over a lot.
1. Why have some people shown a decrease in cholestral

under the low carb diets? It's well documented.
2. Why is the only portion of low carb diets discussed the early

stages before the user re-introduces carbs.
3. Why does the opposition refuse to acknowledge that low carb diets do

encourage vegetables and fruits?
4. Is there a relationship between the increase in dietary carbs, diabetes and the

steady increase in average weight in the US or are the three curves, though similar, unrelated?

Given time, I

can come up with just as many pro-low carb arguments from the public media with as little substance, neither prove a

thing.

Not trying to be contrary but I disregard most of what any government agency says until proven through an

independent source. By association, any staement by an agency recieving a sizable percentage of their data and

funding from the government is also suspect. Most of the statements in your article were retoric without

substance.

Pancho1188
08-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Weight maintenance is really a

simple subject. People follow whatever they want. Anyone with common sense and basic math/science skills can

figure out how to at least go in the right direction of reaching their goal:

1. Weight gain/loss = energy gain -

energy loss
The calorie is the measurement. So: Weight gain/loss = calorie intake - calorie use

If you take in

more calories than you actually use, you gain weight. If you use more calories than you take in, you lose weight.

Now, the quality of your health while gaining or losing weight depends on where those calories come from and what

nutrients come with them. If all you eat is fat, your body will not be a well-oiled machine...it will be unhealthy

to say the least. If all you eat is sugar, the results will be similar. Obviously, balance is good. Have grains,

dairy (milk may be bad...nobody will come out and say it since the dairy farmers will keep them quiet...I don't

know, I like milk in my cereal), and fruit for breakfast. Grain, meat, vegetables, and fruit for lunch. That's a

sandwich, apple, and brocolli (yes, use a little fat-free dressing if you want...I say, "Whatever gets the good

stuff down..."). Cut out your sugary soft drinks and high-calorie coffee. Drink water for once. Exercise after

work. Eat dinner and make sure you mix up grains, meat, and veggies. Cut out the butter and salt. You seriously

don't need that stuff. The only reason you like it is because your body is so used to having it. If you can go

without that stuff for 3 weeks, you are cured of your addictions. There, you're done. If you gain weight, you're

eating too much. Think about what has the most bad, empty calories and get rid of it. Replace it with something

better.

You like chips and dip? Switch to tortilla chips and salsa. You like ice cream? Try yogurt (I don't

like frozen yogurt, but a good cup of strawberry yogurt is great)... You like cheeseburgers from McDonald's? Buy

lean, healthy meat and cook on the grill or buy a George Foreman. You need food on the go? Make food on Sunday

that you can grab and go whenever you need it for the rest of the week.

My favorite rules:

1. The more you

exercise, the more you can eat!
2. Listen to your body. People sometimes mistake thirst for hunger and eat more

than need to or when they don't need to (e.g. the television) because they listen to their appetite and not their

hunger.
3. Only make what you know you can eat. You've eaten thousands of times. You know how much you can eat

at any given time. Learn and follow. I never have leftovers because I never make too much (and because I don't

like leftovers :) )

There...was that so hard? There's so much you can do. There's so much more than I could

ever write. People are just too preoccupied with other things to notice when they're shoving down thousands of

calories at restaurants and not burning those calories off with exercise.

I'm sure there are people with severe

problems that need severe solutions. However, 2/3 of the population (the amount overweight or obese) do not have

severe problems.

belgareth
08-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Pancho,

Good points and all

true according to our current understanding of nutrition. I am questioning our current understanding and the

relationships between what we eat and our health. There are some apparent relationships between the percentage of

carbs in our diet and known health problems but there are also apparent relationships between fat intake and health.

I don't dispute the latter but am curious about the former. Retoric and bald statements of policy don't address

the questions or help us achieve better health. Open study and understanding of the cause and effect will help us to

achieve better health and longer life.

Mtnjim
08-25-2004, 11:26 AM
"4. Is there a relationship between

the increase in dietary carbs, diabetes and the steady increase in average weight in the US or are the three curves,

though similar, unrelated?"

Sodas, junk snacks, "supersize" meals, video games and driving around a parking

lot for 20 minutes until the parking space right next to the front door becomes available!

I don't want to

sound like I'm braging, but...

I eat 5-6 meals a day, drink green tea, water, and burbon & waters.
I park

all the way across the parking lot (and sometimes get into and out of the store while someone is still looking for

that close parking spot), and go to the gym a couple of times a week.

I'm 5' 10 tall and weigh 180 lbe with

a 32" waist.

I don't "diet", and don't have a "gut". It's all a matter of a healthy life style. AND, I

don't have the advantage of being 20 or 30 years old, I'm an OLD fart.

:angel:

Pancho1188
08-25-2004, 01:01 PM
"4. Is there a

relationship between the increase in dietary carbs, diabetes and the steady increase in average weight in the US or

are the three curves, though similar, unrelated?"

Sodas, junk snacks, "supersize" meals, video games and driving

around a parking lot for 20 minutes until the parking space right next to the front door becomes available!

I

don't want to sound like I'm braging, but...

I eat 5-6 meals a day, drink green tea, water, and burbon &

waters.
I park all the way across the parking lot (and sometimes get into and out of the store while someone is

still looking for that close parking spot), and go to the gym a couple of times a week.

I'm 5' 10 tall and

weigh 180 lbe with a 32" waist.

I don't "diet", and don't have a "gut". It's all a matter of a healthy life

style. AND, I don't have the advantage of being 20 or 30 years old, I'm an OLD fart.

:angel:
I have

an unlimited amount of respect for you. :thumbsup:

It could just be because you're someone else who 'gets

it'...

If anyone wants the facts on carb intake, it's the 'bad' carbs that are causing the

problem. Refined sugar is in almost everything sweet and bad for you today. If you stop eating that stuff, you'll

definitely be healthier. A lot of people are cutting out the bad carbs, which is good. You should have little or

none of those...but there are good, complex carbohydrates that are fantastic for you and help you stay healthy.

Those are the ones you should not cut out, no matter what anyone tells you.

Soft drinks are a good

example. If you drank 3 regular 12-oz sodas per day... (if you drink one big gulp, you're almost there)

~150

calories x 3 = 450 calories * 7 days = 3,150 calories from bad, bad, bad high-fructose corn syrup and other

sugars...that's almost a pound!!! (a pound is 3,500 calories, by the way) I'm sure there are plenty of people who

would love to lose a pound per week without changing a single thing they ate...(I cheated since drinking

isn't eating... :rasp:)

A lot of people drink diet soda, which is okay, but there's still artificial sweetener

and all kinds of other stuff I don't want in me...

I'm not sure about coffee, but I can only guess that

Starbucks is not contributing to a healthier US...

belgareth
08-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm in about the same

condition as mtnjim with the exception of loving to cook. It's awfully easy to become a fat cook. I have to keep at

the workouts to avoid growing a gut.

"Sodas, junk snacks, "supersize" meals, video games and driving around a

parking lot for 20 minutes until the parking space right next to the front door becomes available!"
Your right. The

only issue I have with that is the trends begin much earlier than most of those things you listed; more or less in

the early 1930's. There is more to the problem.

Mtnjim
08-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Pancho:

THANKS, I was lucky

my mother taught me well.

Bel.

"I'm in about the same condition as mtnjim with the exception of

loving to cook."

Me too!!! (French, Italian, Spanish etc., no nuked frozen dinners for me)

phersurf
08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
In my original post, I state

that it's not carbs themselves that are bad, it's when they are seperated from any nutritional value that they

become bad.

My contention is that if junk carbs are cut out of the diet (soft drinks, candy, cake, etc) and

fast food, it doesn't matter how many potatos, peaches, melon, brown rice you eat, your cholesterol and weight will

drop and your energy will increase.

belgareth
08-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Pancho:

THANKS, I was lucky my mother taught me well.

Bel.

"I'm in about the same condition as mtnjim with the

exception of loving to cook."

Me too!!! (French, Italian, Spanish etc., no nuked frozen dinners for me)

Nuked frozen dinners are not food! :)

My cooking, when it's just the two of us, is simple most of the time.

Tonite was baked cod, a salad and (home made) sourdough bread. I don't avoid carbs at all. There are a lot of

questions that need to be answered though. Just because the "experts" have said a certain diet is the best, that

doesn't make it the last word. We are constantly learning new things, those new things being incompatible with

current beliefs does not make them invalid or unworthy of open minded-investigation.

Holmes
08-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Nuked frozen

dinners are not food! :)

I've never nuked anything frozen. Where was I when microwave

freezers hit the market? :D

My cooking, when it's just the two of us, is simple most of the time.

Tonite was baked cod, a salad and (home made) sourdough bread. I don't avoid carbs at all. There are a lot of

questions that need to be answered though. Just because the "experts" have said a certain diet is the best, that

doesn't make it the last word. We are constantly learning new things, those new things being incompatible with

current beliefs does not make them invalid or unworthy of open minded-investigation.

Agree. Being

that each individual's make-up is unique to that individual, how could one diet possibly be best for

everyone?

BaseB3383
08-26-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm not

sure about coffee, but I can only guess that Starbucks is not contributing to a healthier US...
I know a

lot of meal replacements/weight-gainer shakes have caffeine in them to help increase your metabolism to burn more

fat. However, I am sure that all the syrups put into those special drinks like mochas and vanilla lattes etc.

can't help promote weight loss. And a daily dose of excessive amount of caffeine can't be a good thing. I always

try to eat and train by the premise of Aristotle, everything in moderation. You really can't go wrong with a

balanced diet and enough exercise to keep fitness levels high. I stopped using all of those meal replacement shakes

because of all the artificial sweeteners in those things. Like you said, I'd rather those stayed out of my system

no matter how "harmless" they are. In addition, reading the nutrition label on a meal replacement pack is like

listing elements on the periodic table. I don't want to eat boron and chromium, I just want some protein.

Pancho1188
08-26-2004, 04:45 AM
In addition,

reading the nutrition label on a meal replacement pack is like listing elements on the periodic table. I don't want

to eat boron and chromium, I just want some protein.
(Talking about medicine, but funny

nonetheless)
George: There's a hundred different things here. What's the difference between these two? (They each

grab a box and check the ingredients) You got propylparabin?

Jerry: Got it.

George: You got

isobutane-30?

Jerry: I got isobutane-20.

George: A-ha.

Jerry: You got sorbitant sesquioliate?

George:

Got it.

Jerry: I have aloe!

George: You got aloe? I love aloe.

Jerry: Where do they make yours?

George:

Jersey.

Jerry: White Plains.

George puts down the "Jersey" box and grabs the "White Plains" box from Jerry and

they go to the check out counter.