PDA

View Full Version : Dead Shark Mones

DrSmellThis
08-02-2004, 01:03 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/scienc

e/08/02/repellingsharks.ap/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/08/02/repellingsharks.ap/index.html)

koolking1
08-02-2004, 02:13 PM
That's good news. When I

lived in Tampa people were quite unaware of just how many sharks are in the water swimming with them, and, how big

they can be. People who fished while standing in the water and kept their catches in floating traps sometimes found

out (blood draws them in)!!! I worked for a seafood wholesaler at the time and we routinely processed 800 + pound

sharks that were caught locally in the bay. Also, if you do fish and are not familiar with sharks and catch one,

you have to bleed it after landing it if you intend to eat it. Sharks do not have the normal urinary tract system

that we're accustomed to and, without bleeding them, you can get severely ill and possibly die from eating it.

InternationalPlayboy
08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
I

worked for a seafood wholesaler at the time and we routinely processed 800 + pound sharks that were caught locally

in the bay. Also, if you do fish and are not familiar with sharks and catch one, you have to bleed it after landing

it if you intend to eat it. Sharks do not have the normal urinary tract system that we're accustomed to and,

without bleeding them, you can get severely ill and possibly die from eating it.

Interesting, must by

why you always see pictures of bloody sharks hanging head down.

Back in the early 1980s, Jacques Cousteau's

son, Jean Michelle Cousteau came to my jr. college to give a lecture. When asked that since skates and sharks are

edible, why don't we eat them, he replied, "but we do, have you ever eaten at Arthur Treacher's?"

koolking1
08-02-2004, 02:32 PM
if skate's on the menu,

have a go at it, it's seldom offered and one of the best fish dishes one could eat! Hmmm, sorry about getting off

the topic!

InternationalPlayboy
08-02-2004, 02:44 PM
My fault too.

Here's a couple of quotes from the article:

The repellent, called A-2 because it was the second

recipe tried, is derived from extracts of dead sharks that Stroud gathered at New Jersey fish markets and piers.

Fishermen and scientists have long noted sharks stay away if they smell a dead shark.

So Love Scent

has A-1 and now they've developed A-2. :)

Gruber said the repellent seems to carry a chemical

messenger that triggers a flight reaction. He said more studies are needed to pinpoint the active molecule among a

dozen or so.

Hate to be the first human tester and find that it actually triggers a flight or

fight reaction!

Here's a thought, with all the animal pheromone developement, I can see some rogue

chemist developing a pheromone specifically for police dogs, when sprayed on contraband, creates an "indifference

effect."

koolking1
08-02-2004, 02:49 PM
laughing, just keep your

stash up high, at least 6 feet off the ground.