PDA

View Full Version : Cheap?? Ethanol? Glycol? for fragrance Dilution

Sesshoumaru
07-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Any sources? I need 10 gallons to dilute 5000mg hydrocloride form of mystery chemical.

That would

produce a concentration about the same as primal ect..
(10 Gallon = Around 9990ml Ethanol, add 5000mg of the

hydrocloride mystery chemical would result in a product with 15.015mg (hydrocloride mystery chemical) per 30 ml,

which is around .5mg per ml).

I know for a fact that chemicals that are in their hydrocloride (powder) form

disolve very poorly in water (you'll see a whole bunch of floating chemical clumps).

99.99% Ethanol would

dissolve it completely, 10 gallons would cost alot of $$$ (or am I getting ripped of lol).

There is also

di-propylene glycol but I have no experience with that. Any cheap sources of Ethanol? Any other chemical

suggestions? How about Methanol (though it's highly toxic if accidentaly ingested).

DrSmellThis
07-21-2004, 09:21 PM
You probably need some kind of

credential to buy pure organic ethanol in large quantities most places. I've been asked to prove I'm a "doctor."

Denatured ethanol, which is available from perfume and cosmetic supply industries, should be easier to get.

Sesshoumaru
07-22-2004, 07:50 AM
Hey I just thought of a good

idea. I should dissolve the hydrocloride chemical in a small portion of Ethanol, let it sit for a few days in a

closed container while shaking it profusely for a few minutes every hour (until completly dissolved) then replace

the missing Ethanol with Distilled Water.

That probably will work...

Oh yea, I have another question....Do

Essential Oils dissolve completely in ethanol?

einstein
07-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Just curious, why do you need to

dilute 5g of mystery chemical?

I second the doctor's recommendations. You shouldn't need and probably

can't get absolute ethanol. Denatured alcohol is cheap and available at hardware stores in large quantities. So

are acetone and toluene, if you aren't concerned about toxicity, but it looks like you are.

DrSmellThis
07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Denatured alcohol varies

greatly depending on the "denaturant" used. Not all of it is suitable for perfuming and cosmetics.

Sesshoumaru
07-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Just

curious, why do you need to dilute 5g of mystery chemical? .
I second the doctor's recommendations. You

shouldn't need and probably can't get absolute ethanol. Denatured alcohol is cheap and available at hardware

stores in large quantities. So are acetone and toluene, if you aren't concerned about toxicity, but it looks like

you are.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's 5 Grams of a chemical

Pheromone and needs to be diluted to be usable. I'm not willing to disclose what it is though.

Thanks for the

info, i'll check in some hardware stores around my area. Acetone stinks though (it's the stuff in nail polish

remover), and would go good for a pheromone product.

I don't know much about toluene. I've also read before

that Denatured alcohol is poisonous, and I wouldn't want some kid to drink the bottle of pheromone product and die.

It might be a possibility is it's diluted, I don't know yet...

camusflage
07-23-2004, 10:03 AM
It's 5

Grams of a chemical Pheromone and needs to be diluted to be usable. I'm not willing to disclose what it is though.

May I offer a suggestion? Don't dissolve the whole wad. Take a SMALL amount and dissolve that to play

with and learn about it. Considering the chem set mones are at 1mg/ml, and even those show some crystallization at

room temperature, you'll only need a small amount of your product to produce a good-sized batch.

In a pinch,

Everclear, which may or may not be available in your area, is "close enough" for most purposes to absolute etoh.