PDA

View Full Version : Copperhead Snake Pheromones

Bruce
07-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Check this

out. Gets pretty racey! Interesting about the pheromones both before and after. Whoa... what's this about "one

of his two sex organs" One for special occassions or what? Wait a minute; 1 hour courtship and 8.5 hours of

intercourse! No wonder he needs a spare. :)

Enjoy,
B

Snip from an article on copperhead snake

mating behavior. I added a few [editor's notes]. Hope you don't mind.
------------
Mating begins in the

spring after the snakes emerge from winter dens (there are some reports of autumn mating [that's just not right!]).

At this time males begin to seek out sexually active females using their tongue to detect pheromones in the air

[works for me]. Once he has located a female, the male will begin moving his head or rubbing his chin on the ground

[I've tried this one myself]. Eventually, after a lot of tail movements, slow to rapid back to forth waving from

the female [So *that's* what that means?], the male aligns his body with hers. This courtship may last for an hour

or more if the female does not respond [If they don't respond to the draggin my chin on the ground, I usually give

up after 10 minutes max]. After being sufficiently stimulated, the female lifts and arches her tail and lowers the

scale that covers her cloaca [nothing more frustrating than a female who won't uncover her cloaca]. Then the male

arches his body and tail, everting one of his two sex organs and mates with the female. Mating time varies, the

range can be as much as 3.5 to 8.5 hours. The long mating time correlates with the fact that females usually only

mate with one male per year. This is because during the mating period males produce a pheromone that makes the

female unattractive to other males [we're coming out with this product very soon], who pay little or no attention

to mating or just mated females. Females also have little interest in mating after a long successful first mating

(Tyning 1990).

Star-A
07-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Interesting, do you know any

other bug stoies he he ?? :) :) :)

SubtleGuy
07-10-2004, 01:26 PM
lol Bruce are you serious

about releasing a product like this?

Star-A
07-10-2004, 01:47 PM
lol Bruce are

you serious about releasing a product like this?
I guess you should read the article once again...

;)

Bruce
07-11-2004, 08:28 AM
lol Bruce are you

serious about releasing a product like this?

I'm sure it would be possible to synthesize, but not

likely to be a big seller.

B

CptKipling
07-11-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm sure it would

be possible to synthesize, but not likely to be a big seller.

B
I wouldn't be so sure, we've had

some...unusual people posting about it in the past.

einstein
07-12-2004, 09:34 PM
No kidding, I've always wanted

to attract a venomous snake so I can play 'croc hunter' :D
oh, that phermone sounds more like a snake repellent.

That could have some uses.