07-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Singapore Launches Love Potion

Perfumes

By YEOH EN-LAI
Associated Press Writer

SINGAPORE (AP) -- What does romance,

Singapore-style, smell like?

Two new perfumes, a floral scent for her and a musky aroma for him, were

launched Friday in Singapore as part of an annual government-backed campaign aimed at boosting marriage and birth

rates in the city-state.

The perfumes, both dubbed "Romancing Singapore Eau de Parfum" come in small Italian

glass bottles and were created by local university students as "a gift to the nation," a statement on the Romancing

Singapore campaign Web site said.

"These exquisite perfumes uniquely capture the spirit of romance and love,"

the statement said. "Smooth over your pulse points or spray where your senses lead you."

Government officials

are hoping that more Singaporeans will be led to the bedroom this year to help remedy the city-state's need for

babies.

Deputy Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said the falling birth rate is among the administration's

top three priorities for 2004.

Singapore recorded its lowest-ever birth rate last year, with just 37,633

babies born - far less than the 50,000 it needs to meet its economic, defense and labor requirements.

The

yearlong romance campaign is backed by the Ministry of Community Development and Sports and will also sponsor social

events such as a tango competition, a couple's marathon and a river race - all designed to promote family by

bringing single people together.

Singapore, a self-confessed "nanny state," is well-known for its behavior

modification campaigns - where it advises citizens on everything from flushing toilets to speaking proper English

and waving at a fellow motorists.

DCW
07-03-2004, 12:02 PM
This is a prime example of what

happens when you suppress the civil liberties of your citizens. I'm not surprised that the birth rate is falling,

who can feel horny when the big eye is watching you from the sky, I hear that they have cameras in public toilets

and so on not very romantic in my opinion.

DCW

Bruce
07-03-2004, 12:02 PM
I definitely need to speak with Mr.

Loong. 37,633. That is way to few. :)

B

SLK
07-03-2004, 11:08 PM
With an ever increasing unemployment

rate and highly insecure jobs, who would think about making babies? Living in Singapore for 26 years now, I think

that they should rectify the job problem before venturing into other ways to increase babies.

SLK

koolking1
07-06-2004, 10:00 AM
wouldn't more babies make

for more jobs though!!! I've been all over Asia but never to Singapore and have no desire to visit, rules bore

me.