PDA

View Full Version : Types of alcohol

David
06-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi

How important

is it to use ethonol to mix things? Is the universally and cheaply available isopropol just as

good?

Thanks
David

Bruce
06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Good question. I think it is only

the stink of the isopropal alc that is a problem. It dies down quickly and I don't think it hurts either the

pheromones or the user any, but it is a little annoying. Ethanol is a little safer to have around the house too,

because it wouldn't hurt if somebody drank it.

There is only one concentrated product on the market (that I

know) that uses isopropal alc and that is Andro 4.2. There are plenty of regular users of it, so I guess it

doesn't bother everyone.

Bruce

Red Stripe
06-30-2004, 09:09 AM
I was thinking the exact same

thing yesterday as I was cleaning my little mixing bottle out with regular rubbing alcohol. It evaporates almost

instantly. Did a forum search on 'isopropyl' and it looks like BassMan has done some successful dilution with

it..

DCW
06-30-2004, 10:14 AM
What about a vodka base for mixing

with mones or essential oils?
Or is it Gin?? In any event the one that doesn't smell.

DCW

InternationalPlayboy
06-30-2004, 11:23 AM
What

about a vodka base for mixing with mones or essential oils?
Or is it Gin?? In any event the one that doesn't

smell.

DCW

In states you can buy Everclear, you can use that. I think vodka is the

next choice but think I'd stay away from gin. They use aromatics such as anise and other herbs to flavor gin. Good

in martinis but not so good for mixing with essential oils and pheromones.

CJ01
06-30-2004, 12:21 PM
How important is it to use

ethonol to mix things? Is the universally and cheaply available isopropol just as good?
If you want to mix

fragrances I recommend using ethanol not Iso. As Bruce pointed out it smells. You can use Iso for skincare though

:)

Ethanol is a little safer to have around the house too, because it wouldn't hurt if somebody drank

it.

Yes it would if it´s not too concentrated :D :eek:

In states you can buy Everclear

Apparantly everclear and ethanol is the same thing.

You can get ethanol in pharmacies/chemists. I

prefer getting the 100% one and then diluting it myself, it can work out cheaper to buy and you can determine how

much you want to dilute it yourself.

You can mix with body oil or lotions too,works well :)

CJ

DrSmellThis
06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
The only safe bet with E oils

is to use ethanol, 151 rum works in a pinch, but is not odorless.

Denatured ethanol is NOT safe to drink,

however.

Vodka is bad for mixing EO's, but you could dilute scentless pheromones with it. You don't want to

use IP alcohol.

einstein
06-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Everclear is 95% ethanol, 5%

water. I've never seen absolute ethanol (100%) anywhere but a chem lab. I've heard that denatured alcohol is

about 90% ethanol, 10% methanol. The methanol is just to make it undrinkable.
I use McCormick grain alcohol.

Cheaper than everclear, and made in Missouri. I considered using cheap vodka to dilute my pheromones for spraying,

but decided to test first. I dabbed some on my skin and let it dry. Had no smell. Then I licked it, it left a

taste. Grain alcohol didn't. I still use cheap vodka for cleaning mixing bottles or atomizers. But there's more

in it than just alcohol and water.

Gossamer_2701
06-30-2004, 02:57 PM
I've been using 'Graves'

grain alcohol to make colognes out of my essential oil mixes and it disolved them perfectly. My only complaint was

that the scent evaporated a little too quickly... but I started to add about 10 drops of pure glycerin and that

doubled the time the scent lasts.