PDA

View Full Version : Landmark Forums

koolking1
06-15-2004, 06:06 AM
I got a call from my

daughter last night, she's just attended the initial 3 day Landmark forum. After reading some extensive

information about this group that I found on the internet, I think she called me to "clarify some issue(s)" from our

past but that she hesitated knowing that I have a strong emotional personality, she's already called her Mom, her

boyfriend, and her younger sister to, I guess, get the "baggage" removed. I let her go on and on about what a

wonderful program this is and she's offered to pay for me to go, her sister to go, my girlfriend to go, etc. etc..

Well, laughing here, it's $400 a pop so I'm wondering where all this money is coming from. I'm leaving on

Wednesday for a trip to visit my kids, all of whom live in Tampa. I just thought this was going to be a pleasant

little vacation get-together but now it looks like I'm going to have to hear the Landmark spiel from my daughter

and try to deal with it. Any thoughts on this anyone? Thanks!

Elana
06-15-2004, 06:10 AM
What's this about? Is it one of

those self awareness seminars are is about lizards taking over the world? Do you have link for it?

Elana
06-15-2004, 06:12 AM
This looks interesting

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/l30.html

koolking1
06-15-2004, 06:27 AM
thanks Elana. I've done

as much reading on the web as the time I have permits. What I'm trying to do is "arm" myself for this visit. I'm

really not looking forward to what I now think is going to be a ruined small family reunion, filled with

exhortations to attend Landmark instead of the usual stuff that families do together. I guess my first priority

will be to exert influence on my younger daughter who is going to be pressured by her older sister to attend.

Perhaps Landmark is useful but I don't want my kid tied up in it, spending all her hard-earned money for something

intangible. She's 28 and is just now starting to make some real money, has 2 kids on her own, it's time for her

to have a better life but I fear her money is going to go to Landmark.

Elana
06-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Did you look at the link I just

posted? This looks like another money exhorting cult. You really do need to protect the younger sister. It would be

a shame for her to throw away her hard earned money on this type of scheme.

koolking1
06-15-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi Elana, and thanks again.

Yes I did look at the one you provided plus several others. You are exactly right about my main fear and now I

have to find ways to counteract but I also feel that, for the moment, it's too late for my older daughter, she's

too "filled" with the propaganda, for me to do much except to listen and not try to alienate her. I'll concentrate

on the younger one for the moment. The things a parent has to go through!!! Keep me encouraged please, I think

I'm going to need it.

BassMan
06-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Landmark Forum is re-fried EST.

Remember Warner Erhard, the used-car salesman-turned-guru from the mid-70's? Go back to research EST and read

forward from there. It's not pretty.

koolking1
06-15-2004, 09:00 AM
thanks BassMan. I think

I've read just about everything my search engine was able to find about this group. I did pick-up on the est

connection but at this point I won't have time to look much into it - we're headed out tomorrow. I guess what

I'm really looking for is advice on how to counteract this. One of the main difficulties I foresee is that a lot

of professionals (psych types) find it to their liking, even Freud's great great grand-daughter.

DrSmellThis
06-15-2004, 11:20 AM
It's cool, but attendees tend

to be a little "Charismatic" or "born again". Basically it's "live your dreams, change your life, you can do it,

take immediate action" stuff. They have some free or cheap introductory seminars, one of which I attended several

years ago. I made the mistake of saying I was hoping to find a significant other at the time, and six hypnotized

women came out of the audience wanting a date. It was "a little much" and I had to leave, as there was a particular

woman I wanted. People work their up the ranks, etc. It's harmless, and positive, but slightly annoying in very

large doses, IMHO. Still, I wouldn't discourage anyone who seemed into it.

Ash
06-15-2004, 11:59 AM
It's cool, but

attendees tend to be a little "Charismatic" or "born again". Basically it's "live your dreams,

change your life, you can do it, take immediate action" stuff. They have some free or cheap introductory seminars,

one of which I attended several years ago. I made the mistake of saying I was hoping to find a significant other at

the time, and six hypnotized women came out of the audience wanting a date. It was "a little much" and I had to

leave, as there was a particular woman I wanted. People work their up the ranks, etc. It's harmless, and positive,

but slightly annoying in very large doses, IMHO. Still, I wouldn't discourage anyone who seemed into it.

No offence Doc but are you sure these are the type of people attending?

"Charismatic" or "born again" are

part of the Christian Faith and not likely to be buying into secular approaches to bettering one's life.

DrSmellThis
06-15-2004, 01:30 PM
You offended me gravely,

AAAAAsh!!

That was tongue in cheek. I just meant acting a bit too enthusiastic.

Sexyredhead
06-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Those terms are used to

describe someone who is very passionate about what they are talking about, and often very persuasive. I think

that's what he's referring to. :)

JustPeachy
06-15-2004, 02:18 PM
I know zilch about this

Landmark thing, but did know a number of people who were into EST back in the day. Some stayed, some left earlier.

But even those who left didn't have anything really horrible to say about it, even years later, they seemed to

think it had been worth it. Except for 1 guy. The rest seemed positive, upbeat, and hopeful in general - which

might even be worth the price, if she uses it to good purpose. Several of those people made major changes in their

lives after that, and seemed pretty happy with their handiwork. The guy who had a problem with it was a total

iconoclast, and went berzerk right about the time he wanted to go to the restroom and found out somebody was going

to try to tell him what he could or could not do (I sympathized heavily! :D) But then, maybe he already knew what

the rest of them were there to learn. It's pretty useless to try to empower someone who already has their own and

knows it.

Again, I know nothing about this Landmark deal, and I don't know your daughter, so all I can offer is

a little blast from the past.

Holmes
06-15-2004, 02:23 PM
I know zilch

about this Landmark thing, but did know a number of people who were into EST back in the day.

:D :D

Ah, the stench of the 70s.

koolking1
06-15-2004, 02:28 PM
ok - thanks everyone. I'm

still confused about what to do, if anything. There does seem to be some good coming out of it, and, as JP

mentioned, it is empowering for those who seem to need it. I know I sure don't need it but my daughter might. I

really am not happy though about the "recruitment" drive that she's now going to be on - I can think of much better

ways to spend money.

JustPeachy
06-15-2004, 02:30 PM
:D Yeah, smell that smell.

Belongs in the Best Songs list, now that I think of it. As does Monie Monie. :p

Wonder if I'll get busted

for going off-topic now? It's the The Man, dude. The Man is always watchin' everything you do. :o

koolking1
06-15-2004, 02:32 PM
the new L-S theme song!!!

JustPeachy
06-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Which one? Smell That Smell,

or Monie Monie? Do I feel a poll comin' on?

Holmes
06-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Do I feel a poll

comin' on?

Yeah, EST or Lifespring?

"Moonie Moonie..." :D

JustPeachy
06-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah, EST or

Lifespring?

"Moonie Moonie..." :D
Stupid thing won't let me give you any rep, Holmes! :mad:

Ash
06-15-2004, 03:01 PM
You offended me

gravely, AAAAAsh!!

That was tongue in cheek. I just meant acting a bit too enthusiastic.

Damn, I

was really trying to be PC too.:eek:

Holmes
06-15-2004, 03:07 PM
I was almost sucked in by

L. Ron Hoover and the First Church Of Appliantology. :eek: Too close for comfort.

JustPeachy
06-15-2004, 03:10 PM
I was

almost sucked in by L. Ron Hoover and the First Church Of Appliantology. :eek: Too close for comfort.

Same deal. They have some valuable info. Not zillions of dollars worth of info. Pretty much everything that's

worth knowing, you can find at a used book store.

(And even the most well-trained Scientologist will jump if you

suddenly rip your shirt off. :D )

koolking1
06-15-2004, 03:12 PM
damn Holmes, that IS

funny.