PDA

View Full Version : Does the buzz boost brain function

**DONOTDELETE**
10-17-2001, 08:47 PM
Do pheromones make us smarter or trick our brain into paying more attention.

THis is another idea i came up wit.

Responses or critisims here.

>>>>

rjm
10-17-2001, 10:07 PM
I think they make me more attentive.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-18-2001, 09:17 AM
I think the answer is no, they don\'t. Quite the opposite. They\'re triggering autonomic (unconcious) responses. Think about it: do you really think someone who\'s DIHL is thinking very clearly? And we know that the pheros affect both women and men into being more attentive, unconciously changing their behaviour, which I would argue takes away from deliberate thought.

My personal experience is that it definitely takes me down a notch in thinking, at least when I first wear them. FYI, I\'m considered a high genius (I\'m pretty modest about it, but my IQ is way, way the hell up there, nosebleed territory.) I spend a lot of time thinking and thinking about thinking and monitoring my own thought processes, and there\'s definitely an effect.

When I first got the pheros and hit myself with APC, TE, and AE at the same time I got that \"buzz\" everyone talks about. My heart rate was way up, and it definitely felt like a stimulant effect. But I could tell I wasn\'t thinking clearly, just rushed.

Whitehall
10-18-2001, 09:36 AM
One needs to realize that the brain works on many levels - literally. Our consciousness is on the top, next down is the mammialian, deeper still is the reptilian, etc.

Pheromones work on one of the deepest levels and do stimulate that base, perhaps, as Scientist points out, at the expense of the higher level such as conscious thought. Man is an animal, and thinking is just one of the things we do. Personally, I\'d rather not be thinking too much when having sex, my brain has better things to do. In fact, I enjoy the holiday from being so smart.

An excellent book on this is \"The Origins of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Brain\" by Julian Jaynes.