PDA

View Full Version : Deoderant and Soap Alternatives?

dping28
06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
I have

noticed across a few threads people talk about using Sandlewood and such in place of deoderant and in soaps etc. I

was wondering if there were some specific threads this has already been discussed I could be pointed too to get a

better idea as to its benifit and what not, or if those of you who use these alternatives would like to just share

your reasons Id be greatful. Thanks!

Gossamer_2701
06-06-2004, 07:53 AM
I haven't used deodorant

in 3-4 years now, but not because of any discussion or thread on here (although it has been discussed at length) I

got an email forwarded from a friend about the aluminum used in anti-perspirants/deodorants being linked to cancer

(although Elana and Snopes can probably disprove that one:p ) So I started using a spray of cologne to each pit

in the morning.. usually Jovan musk or an imitation Polo Sport (why use up the good ones)... Its worked out quite

well.

CptKipling
06-06-2004, 08:12 AM
The only thread that I could

see (with limited effort) was this one

http://66.45.239.227/forum/showthread.php?t=8131

The Doc's post is the one you should look at.

dping28
06-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Dudes, if you

just kill all the bacteria you are inviting bacteria "looters to invade your ghost town."

I think it is

enough to shower with sandalwood soap. You can take probiotic supplements to make sure your body is populated with

good bacteria, and then inhibit B growth with earthy EO's (sandalwood, vetiver, patchoili, amber, cedar, benzoin,

labdanum, vanilla, etc.)

My personal fave is sandalwood. The wonderful effects bacteria has on it over 24

hours suggest it must allow some pretty friendly bacteria to coexist.

If you really want a good trick, used

by professional perfumers, get a bottle of sandalwood EO, (I recommend Liberty) delete 2:1 with everclear, let sit

for a day, then dilute that mix 5:1 with water. Put in a spray bottle and use as an after-shower all over body

spray. Put straight sandalwood on your smelly spots. Then cover with pheros and cologne.
Doc (If you read

this), Do you have a site where you buy your sandlewood soap, and other items mentioned above? Im very interested in

trying this out. Thanks!

DrSmellThis
06-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Bee and Flower or

Caswell-Massey have sandalwood soaps; and there is an Ayurvedic brand or two that I forget. Anywhere that sells fine

soaps will usually have Sandalwood, and you just have to try them, as it's not expensive. Grandpa's have patchouli

and pine but not sandalwood. I also used to add sandalwood EO to Doc Bronner's almond soap (until you can smell

it), which turned out nice.

Liberty Natural Products is a good, very cheap source for EO's, but you have to

get $50 worth to get their wholesale prices (you could go in with a friend).

dping28
06-06-2004, 09:06 AM
I wouldnt know what to do with

the EO's. I did read that thread you have in the womens forum. was interesting. Will have to search and see if you

have any mens style mixes listed and see if I can find enuff info to get me started.. :) I normally just used Irish

Spring soap and Axe deoderant, but am willing to try new things that may help with my natural pheromones. :) Will

check out those places for the sandlewood soap. Thanks! :)

DrSmellThis
06-06-2004, 09:35 AM
One drop of sandalwood EO

split between the pits is all you need for deodorant.

dping28
06-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Cool, will give that a shot then.

Thanks again. :)

oscar
06-06-2004, 02:24 PM
dping28,

The best

Sandalwood soap that I've found that was decently priced can be seen way down on

this Patchouli Garden page. (http://www.patchouligarden.com/songofindia.html)
At $1.95 / bar it's

pretty tough to beat! There's Vanilla and Patchouli soap as well.

There's also

"Song of India Temple Incense" (http://www.patchouligarden.com/soofinin.html) on there that can

olfactorily transport you to a monastery high in the Himalayas, but I don't know whether you'd consider that your

cup of tea. Still, at $1.99 for 20 sticks it's a pretty reasonable fare. ;)

Oscar :)

DCW
06-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Try

http://www.asiachi.com/maxsansoap.html it smells quite good, I'm cuurently using it and I'm sure

you'll like it.

DCW

DrSmellThis
06-06-2004, 02:50 PM
BTW, anyone making the body

spray from my quoted post might experiment with greater dilutions too -- it's a matter of taste.

DrSmellThis
06-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info, DCW!

I've never heard of Maxan soap.

Numanoid
06-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Bee and Flower

Sandalwood soap is incredible...it will make your whole bathroom smell better just sitting in the soap dish.

Superior also make a good Chinese sandalwood soap...just as good as Bee & Flower in my opion.

thingscouldwork
06-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Hmmm, I don't know if

you can buy this in the US, but my mineral-deo has some cool advantages over more generic deos:

1. It's only

Minerals formed to a crystal-looking block.
2. It's absolutely scentless.
3. It kills and prohibits the

growth of stink-related bacteria NATURALLY!
4. You can still use Pheros and Fragrance!
5. I can't get myself

to think you could get cancer from Minerals... ;)
6. Lasts literally AGES!!!
7. Costs somewere well below 3 €

!!!

I buy it as a rather "local" product, possibly only sold throughout bavaria... :(

Can you get

something similar in the US-stores??

Seb

Elana
06-07-2004, 07:12 AM
I once tried some Sandalwood as

deoderant after reading these threads. I didn't want to feel left out :D I had to wash it right off. It smelled

fantastic but it smelled super duper masculine. I can see it working wonders for men.

belgareth
06-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Hmmm, I

don't know if you can buy this in the US, but my mineral-deo has some cool advantages over more generic deos:

1. It's only Minerals formed to a crystal-looking block.
2. It's absolutely scentless.
3. It kills and

prohibits the growth of stink-related bacteria NATURALLY!
4. You can still use Pheros and Fragrance!
5. I can't

get myself to think you could get cancer from Minerals... ;)
6. Lasts literally AGES!!!
7. Costs somewere well

below 3 € !!!

I buy it as a rather "local" product, possibly only sold throughout bavaria... :(

Can you get

something similar in the US-stores??

Seb
I don't know much about the mineral deoderants but

considering them safe just because they are minerals is not a good idea. After all, lead, asbestos and uranium are

minerals. All are very bad for you. That's not meant to say the mineral deoderants are bad or good, I don't

know.

Elana
06-07-2004, 07:21 AM
I don't know much

about the mineral deoderants but considering them safe just because they are minerals is not a good idea. After all,

lead, asbestos and uranium are minerals. All are very bad for you. That's not meant to say the mineral deoderants

are bad or good, I don't know.
That's a good point, Bel. Mercury is a mineral

DCW
06-07-2004, 07:29 AM
Here is a great soap I bought a box

of 10 and it last me for almost two years.
The thing I like about it is not only does it last long but it

doesn't dry out my skin like regular soap. (Sounds like a

commercial)

http://www.asiachi.com/aoqseawsoap.html

DCW

dping28
06-07-2004, 07:52 AM
Is Sandlewood EO the same thing

as Patchouli Garden's Song of India Sandlewood Perfume Oil? I am gonna get the Maxam Soap and give that a shot.

belgareth
06-07-2004, 07:58 AM
That's a good

point, Bel. Mercury is a mineral
Maybe it's because I read so much advertising copy or it could be my

native cynicism but claims like that always get me going.

100% natural! Wonderful, so is botulism and ebola. I

don't want either.
All herbal. So is hemlock.
And my all time favorite. It only costs pennies a day! Really? How

many? 3 or 350,000?

:)

oscar
06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
tcw,

I use

one of those Thai Deodorant Stones. They're pure mineral salts. They are usually available in Heath Food type

stores in the U.S..

A "sample" size stone runs a few bucks, but will last for a couple of months. A large one

might run between $8 and $10 but the things last forever. You've just got to be careful about dropping it on a tile

bathroom floor because they will shatter like glass.

What's funny is that there's a type that you can find in

drugstores that's in a nice dispenser that is easy to handle, but for whatever reason they include aluminum

chlorhydrate, the very stuff that most people use the stones to avoid!

dping28,

I've got the Song of India

Sandalwood oil. I wouldn't attest to its being of Essential Oil grade. It's probably cut with jojoba or palm or

something. It's nice, but I'm not sure I'd rely on it as a deodorant. I'd prefer to trust Oshadhi Oils for that

purpose.

Oscar :)

dping28
06-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks oscar, ill search for that

Holmes
06-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Maybe it's

because I read so much advertising copy or it could be my native cynicism but claims like that always get me

going.

100% natural! Wonderful, so is botulism and ebola. I don't want either.
And

my all time favorite. It only costs pennies a day! Really? How many? 3 or 350,000?

:D :D

:D

----------

Gossamer_2701
06-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Maybe

it's because I read so much advertising copy or it could be my native cynicism but claims like that always get me

going.

100% natural! Wonderful, so is botulism and ebola. I don't want either.
And

my all time favorite. It only costs pennies a day! Really? How many? 3 or 350,000?

:D Ya gotta

keep your eye on those pesky ad writers :D

Sexyredhead
06-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Cool avatar! :D

<Must

say it here since I have to spread some more rep around before coming back to you. :p >

Gossamer_2701
06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Cool

<Must say it here since I have to spread some more rep around before coming back to you. :p >

Thanks SRH :cool: .... I have the same problem.... everytime I want to give someone a good rep... I need to spread

it around first :rolleyes: I think I'm like two people away from being able to give you yours again ;)

:eek:

Oh.... look at that... :o I was wrong :o ..... I did spread enough to give yours again!!!:D

dping28
06-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Well I got the Bee and Flower

Sandalwood Soap and the Maxam Sandalwood Soap. (Had to order min $10 or something so got 5 of each) And I like the

Maxam soap smell wise. the Bee and Flower has a lil too much soapy smell. Yes I know it is Soap. :) but just thought

the Maxam smelled more like Sandalwood. But I will try the Bee and Flower one once I finish this first bar of Maxam.

I may order that Song of India Herbal Soap in Sandalwood too and see how that one is.

Also got the

Sandalwood EO.
Doc was that a single drop split for deoderant or one each arm pit?

Thanks for the advice

everyone, really like the smell of Sandalwood. Will have to see tomorrow evening how well the sandalwood mixes with

my Rochas Man cologne and my pheromone mix. :)

DrSmellThis
06-08-2004, 08:47 PM
One drop should be sufficieint

for both pits, for sure. I can get by with 1/4 drop per pit, spreading the rest elsewhere.

Thanks for the

feedback on the soap. I don't think Bee and Flower is ideal either, but havent seen too much in the markets here.

Every cologne will smell good over a little pure sandalwood.

einstein
06-15-2004, 03:41 PM
I tried the sandalwood oil as

deoderant trick. Went to my local health food store and bought a 1 ounce bottle of 100% sandlewood oil for $38.

Seemed expensive, but looks like it will last forever.
For the first week, everything was great. I didn't sweat

any more than wearing Old Spice High Endurance. And didn't stink. But now my pits sweat a lot, and the stank/stink

comes in less than a day. Is this normal? Does it take a week to get rid of the commercial aluminum alzheimers

buildup? If that's the case, I'm pretty glad I got off of it.
Also, it smells pretty strong. Would it be okay

to cut down with some equally effective but less fragrant oil? If so, what oils would you recommend?

DrSmellThis
06-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Your body is going through something, possibly cleansing pores. Sweating a lot (e.g., in a sauna) followed

by a normal soap shower should allow you to start over. I often use just 1/4 drop per pit, and the smell is not

strong.

Aluminum stays in your body a long time, years, and will leave with a lot of time. I avoid aluminum

pans and cans too.

In my experience, the best alternative is a 2:1 mix of Eden's Amber/patcholi.

This is also another good unisex perfume recipe, which I will call "Like a Sturgeon" in honor of the

mix's most famous advocate, Madonna. :D

InternationalPlayboy
08-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Bumping up this thread from a couple of months ago.

I have been using Safeguard for decades. It

used to bill itself as a deodorant soap, but I recently noticed that the package now says that it's an

antibacterial soap. With the reports on the harmful effects of antibacterial overuse and the fact that I've been

having some minor skin problems, I decided to give sandalwood soap a try. In July, I visited friends who had some

hotel soap with oatmeal that had a sandalwood scent that I really liked, so that was my target type.

Online,

I could find oatmeal soap or sandalwood, but not the two combined. This tiny town I live in has nothing but

mainstream products. I was even surprised that when I went into a Bath and Body works for the first time, that they

had only lotion type products. I wanted bar soap.

I remembered that Michael's, a craft store chain,

had soapmaking products. So I bought a slab of glycerine soap with olive oil and a mold. I had pure sandalwood

essential oil and oatmeal at home. Following the directions, I cut the soap in chunks and melted it in the microwave

oven. I had coarsely ground some oatmeal with a hand mixer and added a little bit of whole oats to the ground

product. I mixed this into the melted soap, eyeballing the amount. I also added a little bit of honey and 35 drops

of sandalwood oil. I probably overdid it on the oil the first time, I'm not sure. This gave me two large bars of

soap, which I ended up cutting in half as the bars were too big to hold comfortably. Molds are cheap, so I intend to

get smaller ones when I make my next batch.

I also made a bar without oatmeal, using 14 drops of sandalwood,

8 drops of cedarwood oil, and 4 drops of frankincense oil. This bar I will use for washing up before meditation. I

got the ratios for this one by doubling a recipe for "spirituality oil" from Scott Cunningham's Magical

Aromatherapy book. The recipe was for one ounce of oil and the bars look like about the voulme of two fluid

ounces.

Anyway, just tried out the sandalwood soap and think it turned out pretty well! I would consider

puting something like a few drops of WAGG or unscented SOE in a bar of soap, except for the expense. Also

considering using Cunningham's recipes for Cash Flow Oil and Love Oil, which I shared in the perfuming thread, to

make other ritual soaps to go along with my "Spirituality Soap."