franki
06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Now I understand why they halted

golf coverage for half an hour..

Sad. :(

DrSmellThis
06-05-2004, 03:50 PM
He was a genuine, impassioned

patriot; inspired wordsman; and optimist. Maybe he can help us earthlings better from where he's now gone.

Holmes
06-05-2004, 03:52 PM
He was a

genuine, passionate patriot; inspired wordsman; and optimist. Maybe he can help us earthlings better from where

he's now gone.

Amen.

EXIT63
06-05-2004, 06:19 PM
........Mr. Gorbachev, tear down

this wall!

To the man who crushed the Soviet Union.

Godspeed

EXIT63
06-05-2004, 06:19 PM
And may God Bless America.

dping28
06-05-2004, 06:22 PM
That is very sad. :(

Watcher
06-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Dont forget contra affair - but

yes crushing communism was a good step.

EXIT63
06-06-2004, 04:29 AM
Yeah, and when you die we're all

gonna say. "Don't forget that homo thing but his field research was excellent".

CptKipling
06-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Yeah, and when

you die we're all gonna say. "Don't forget that homo thing but his field research was excellent".
A fine

way with words, Mr Exit doth have. :D

Gossamer_2701
06-06-2004, 09:12 AM
:( He was a great man, as

well as a great leader.... he will be sadly missed. :(

Holmes
06-06-2004, 09:19 AM
93 is far too young.

Goodnight

Bonzo, R.I.P.

Elana
06-06-2004, 09:28 AM
A fine way with

words, Mr Exit doth have. :D
He most certainly does :D

belgareth
06-06-2004, 09:46 AM
:( very

sad
Our last truly good president. 'Tis a sad day.

CptKipling
06-11-2004, 10:11 AM
"The future doesn't belong to

the faint hearted, it belongs to the brave."

Cool guy.

Pancho1188
06-11-2004, 10:21 AM
I watched him go by today...

:)

:(

Gossamer_2701
06-11-2004, 04:26 PM
I watched

him go by today... :)

It was on the tv at work today..... it was quite moving.... he would have

been proud. :)

metroman
06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
It's like Stalin died or

something...they might as well suspend regular programming & play funeral dirges all day...Dont worry you're not

brainwashed America...go back to sleep...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Ash
06-11-2004, 09:20 PM
It's like Stalin

died or something...they might as well suspend regular programming & play funeral dirges all day...Dont worry

you're not brainwashed America...go back to sleep...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
It's not that you don't have any class

Met, it's more like you don't have anything at all. I mean what... they preempt your favorite Lizard Cartoon

show?

I just gave you bad Rep for the Stalin thing. Geez!

Sexyredhead
06-12-2004, 06:10 AM
I'm glad you did and said

something about it, Ash. You saved me the trouble.

Gossamer_2701
06-12-2004, 06:51 AM
It's like

Stalin died or something...they might as well suspend regular programming & play funeral dirges all day...Dont worry

you're not brainwashed America...go back to sleep...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You know Met... if this were a

communist board, you would have already been taken out back and shot.... But it's not.... its an American board, so

say whatever you like.... all you doing is highlighting your own lack of character.

Enjoy your opinion and your

right to express it Met.... because it was great men like President Reagan that make it possible to do so.

EXIT63
06-12-2004, 06:51 PM
"DUMBASS"!

-Red Forman

DrSmellThis
06-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Kidding

around and trash talking is cool sometimes, but a lot of people want to "spit" on someone because they disagree with

their politics or religion. They belong to opposite political and religious viewpoints, of course. But moreover,

they identify themselves too much with those kinds of limited beliefs, and not enough with what's deeper inside

themselves.

This is self defeating to that deeper part. It's not even just that we're all Americans (mostly

the case here). We're all humans. We're also earthlings! Unless we come from those deeper selves, our unchecked,

surface selves will defeat them. We are literally volunteering for cancer of the soul.

So believing this, I

didn't see a problem praising Reagan; crying about his death; or feeling sentimentally moved in general about human

losses of loved ones; even though I saw many of his policies as destructive and ultimately wrong-headed for

fundamental human purposes. I loved his uplifting humanistic speeches, which were truly gifts to the country and

world. Also the 80's were a different time, when the Soviet threat was truly massive (hundreds of Soviet nuclear

missles aimed all over Europe, etc.) and relatively easy to comprehend. The man truly had some genuine positives

to him, a measure of integrity (Who cares if he smoked pot in the White House? ;)); and many of his worst political

"enemies" (e.g., Tip) saw that clearly. Plus, he just died. Deaths of fellow earthlings present easy opportunities

for our best, deepest selves to emerge. It's a wide open look at the basket from 10 feet in this respect, or should

I say casket? :D It's a moment of cease-fire.

As examples of self defeat, if someone with liberal views

wants to implement values of compassion, they risk muddying up their own minds and weakening fundamental projects

when indulging in their hate or disrepect (we all feel these things); just as those with conservative views

do when so indulging, reinforcing the very stereotypes that most have crippled themselves and their projects

politically.

The mutal disrespect here is therefore suggestive of resignation and admission of defeat on both

sides. :( Having this attitude, as we all know, is not the best way to get laid! ;)

Ash
06-12-2004, 08:20 PM
I read through your post twice Doc

and I really have no idea what you were trying to say. It's possible that some of what you wrote was aimed at me.

Maybe all of it. I don't know. I don't care. My reply to Met had nothing to do with his politics. It had to do

with his stupidity, his brainless insensitivity and his piss-ant whining because his TV programing got interrupted.

Simple as that Doc. No F'ing politics involved at all.

DrSmellThis
06-12-2004, 08:27 PM
I read the conversation as a

whole and wrote for everybody. Nothing personal. Honest! I didn't look at names before saying what seemingly needed

to be said here, as clearly as I could (I'm too lazy to edit any more to make it make more sense.). I didn't

remember exactly who said which thing. It was, and is up to you whether it applies to you. Sounds like you decided

it doesn't. Cool by me! :)

Ash
06-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Though I read the

conversation as a whole, I didn't look at names before saying as much of what seemingly needed to be

said, as clearly as I could. I didn't remember exactly who said which thing. It was, and is up to you

whether it applies to you. Sounds like you decided it doesn't. Cool. :)

Nothing needed to be said

except that Met was an insensitive ass. There was nothing political in what he wrote. Just stupidity!

DCW
06-12-2004, 08:41 PM
I admire Ron and Nancy’s

relationship.
They’re an inspiration because they were inseparable.
That what I call devotion, all those

years together with all the pressures and temptation that goes with living in the spot light but they held it

together.

Today they took the once proud institute of marriage and turned it into a %%^^ing reality game

show.

The sad part is that now that Ron is gone Nancy wont be far behind because of the devotion and

love.

A true inspiration in my opinion.

DCW

metroman
06-12-2004, 09:03 PM
Thought this was an interesting

cartoon...it's a little hard to read but just click on it...Guess I'm not the only one with a contrary

opinon...(shocked emoticon from the old forum)

JustPeachy
06-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Look, metro. On the night

Ronzo got elected for the first time, I drank myself into a crying jag. I was that unhappy about it. I totally

detested the man and everything he was trying to do. Time passed. I still don't agree with a lot of what he did.

But I believe he was an honest man and he set the gold standard for maintaining a sense of dignity in the office.

When George Washington died, the mourning went on for 8 months, and there was a nationwide shortage of black fabric

that took nearly a year to clear up. So I think you'll probably survive a single weekend of having the boob tube

interrupted. Turn it off. You might actually use the break to think for yourself instead being told what your

reality is and what your values should be 24/7. You might even like it. Your cartoon is in at least as bad taste as

your first crack. Let it go, dude. He's gone.

Ash
06-12-2004, 09:40 PM
I didn't see any politics in your

first post Met just your tiny lizard mind at work again. You and the Doc have managed to swing the whole Thread

around now though. Congrats guys! Could this be a Lizard People conspiracy? Whatever. I ain't going there with

either of you! You go ahead and flame the dead all you want Met. A truly class act would have at least waited until

some dirt hit the coffin first but then you were pretty upset about your TV being interrupted. I must say that as

upset as you were I'm kinda surprised to see you here tonight. Now that programing is back to normal I would have

thought you'd be back watching your Favorite Lizard People Cartoon show.

tounge
06-12-2004, 10:11 PM
1980 in America. An inept peanut

farmer from Georgia in the Whitehouse. We had hostages for over a year in Iran.The military morale was low. Soviet

and other Marxist expansion moving all over the world. Unemployment very high. 21% intrest rates. Major energy

crisis.

On the night, Ronald Wilson Reagan beat the Georgia farmer in a land slide, I cried tears of joy. It

was my first time to be allowed to vote for President. I was pround to vote for President Reagan. And after 8 years

he didn't let me down. History doesn't lie. It will show for the most part President Reagan's policies were sound

and successful.

metroman
06-13-2004, 08:44 AM
As far as I'm concerned the

coverage was backwards...what was given to Reagan should've been given to Ray Charles...Ray Charles contributed a

lot more positive, joy & happiness to this world than Reagan could ever dream of. Ray Charles was a true

humanitarian & creative genius...Not a televsion network manufactured icon...

Elana
06-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Like it or not, it is what we as

American's do when a President dies.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperi

or/8887284.htm (http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/8887284.htm)

einstein
06-13-2004, 09:28 AM
I like being able to make fun of

any celebrity whenever I want. But it seems that whenever one of them dies we can't do it for a few weeks.

Instant temporary sainthood upon death.
When Nixon died, nobody said anything bad about him for about a month.

Sonny Bono died, and for a couple weeks he was talked about as a good politician, not just Cher's less talented

sidekick. Kurt Cobain died, and he's still revered by people my age, even though the seattle grunge movement is

long dead.

The round-tables I saw on TV this morning were saying the exact same things about Reagan as you guys

are. But that cartoon made me realize, until now about 75% of the coverage on Reagan was about his personality.

One the day he died, the TV people would briefly say something good about one of his policies, and then tell a

couple stories about how personable he was. Today is the first day I've seen people actually debate his

policies.

Metroman, I feel for ya. Maybe I'm cold and heartless, but I have no interest in seeing Reagan's

coffin on TV. He's dead, part of history. No longer a current event. This sort of thing happens anytime a

celebrity dies. In two months we'll be able to insult Reagan to our hearts content, and nobody will be vehemently

defending him like now.

dping28
06-13-2004, 09:41 AM
If it was on every channel you

turn on and had it on forever then yeah i can see being upset over it. But the man was our president, wether you

agree with his views or not. he deserves some respect. a couple days i dont think is too much to ask for. Least that

is my opinion.

JustPeachy
06-13-2004, 09:43 AM
That's so true, einstein.

Observing the memorial is an act of respect attached to the family and friends who mourn the loss as much (or even

more than) the person who has passed away. It's such a simple and decent act. You don't have to enjoy or approve.

Just do and be done.

a.k.a.
06-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Pardon my cynicism, but I don’t see

this as sensitive network executives helping loved ones grieve their loss. It’s a mass media cluster f@#k. Everybody

scrambling to squeeze as much profit and political milage as possible out of an event before the brand name’s

forgotten.
I’ve already gotten junk mail trying to sell me Ron and Nancy portraits. And we all know it won’t be

long before there’s a new Ray Charles box set.

metroman
06-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Like it or not, it

is what we as American's do when a President dies.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsupe

rior/8887284.htm (http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/8887284.htm)

I wouldn't presume to speak for all American's...Rather it is what some, or

a lot of, or maybe even most of...but I wouldn't say it's what all Americans do.

Excellent points Einstein

& AKA!

Elana
06-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Oh man....Look....I am saying that

it is how we as American's cover the death of a President. We have been doing it since Kennedy was shot. I am not

saying that all American's have to like it or watch the coverage or be happy that it is a federal holiday. I am

saying that that is the way we do it, for both Democrats and Republicans

DrSmellThis
06-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Well, yeah, of course

Republicans are milking it for themselves a bit. But two wrongs don't make a right. It didn't hurt to grieve over,

say, a Nixon. People went back to hating him (or his actions) just fine, thanks. But it's a nice human

gesture for any public figure in one's own culture, particularly a leader. Grief ties folks in a community, nation

or larger culture together.

Another aspect: Unfortunately for our short-term gratification -- the immediate kind

that comes with black and white thinking -- Satanizing or dehumanizing one's enemy obliterates the very

understanding that leads to solutions to the problems that that enemy might create. (Here comes the "I read it twice

and it still doesn't make sense" comments. :D)

metroman
06-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Well, yeah,

of course Republicans are milking it for themselves a bit. But two wrongs don't make a right. It didn't hurt to

grieve over, say, a Nixon. People went back to hating him (or his actions) just fine, thanks. But it's a nice

human gesture for any public figure in one's own culture, particularly a leader. Grief ties folks in a

community, nation or larger culture together.

Another aspect: Unfortunately for our short-term gratification

-- the immediate kind that comes with black and white thinking -- Satanizing or dehumanizing one's enemy

obliterates the very understanding that leads to solutions to the problems that that enemy might create. (Here comes

the "I read it twice and it still doesn't make sense" comments. :D)

"Run that by me again...what the

hell are you talking about?" :)

Tricky Dick didn't get a State Funeral like Ronnie did...Thats like

Washington's way of giving negative rep points...

Pancho1188
06-14-2004, 05:17 AM
I hate when they have 24/7

coverage of something on every major station when a good way to move on with your life is to get away from it...

...so I read a book and hit the gym.

I shun TV during the following times:

Olympics
9/11 (I don't

believe it's healthy to watch those towers fall for the 2,000th time...I also don't believe in trying to point the

finger when it's over and blaming someone in the government is not going to turn back time and prevent

disaster)
Major events I do not care for

I'm glad everyone else is having a fine time watching these

events, but I would prefer to live my life as anyone involved in these events would want me to do. They're

happy...I'm happy. It's all good. :)

Sexyredhead
06-14-2004, 05:39 AM
It's amazing the amount of

stuff you get done once you learn you can turn the TV off. :D

dping28
06-14-2004, 06:36 AM
I never watch TV except for maybe

one tv show a week. Now turning off the computer is a whole other story. :)

belgareth
06-14-2004, 06:37 AM
It's

amazing the amount of stuff you get done once you learn you can turn the TV off. :D
Watching television

has become such a pointless waste of time. I haven't bothered with it in years.

Sexyredhead
06-14-2004, 07:47 AM
The last thing I watched on

tv was the Stanley Cup playoffs. That's my only use for a tv anymore, other than as something to play a DVD on.

Elana
06-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Who won? The Jets? :D

Pancho1188
06-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Da Bears.

Da

Bulls.

tounge
06-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Who won? The Jets?

:D

Yes. The Tampa Bay Jets. The Stanley Cup is in Florida, where it belongs. And my Canadian

friends are pissed. AH, life is good.:)

Elana
06-14-2004, 07:55 AM
I knew that, Tounge :D

Pancho1188
06-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Yes. The Tampa

Bay Jets. The Stanley Cup is in Florida, where it belongs. And my Canadian friends are pissed. AH, life is

good.:)
Having the Stanley Cup "belong" in Florida is like having a team called the "Juneau Icicles"

dominate the World Series.

That being said, congrats. ;)

"Jamaica has a bobsled team..." --- Cool

Runnings

DCW
06-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Yes. The Tampa Bay

Jets. The Stanley Cup is in Florida, where it belongs. And my Canadian friends are pissed. AH, life is

good.:)

The "Tampa Bay Jets" !!??? you must be joking.
The Tampa Bay Lightning, no worries the

best players are still Canadian...and er Russsian and Checz,,Sweds...

DCW

tounge
06-14-2004, 08:42 AM
The "Tampa Bay Jets"

!!??? you must be joking.
The Tampa Bay Lightning, no worries the best players are still Canadian...and er

Russsian and Checz,,Sweds...

DCW

No. The Lighting are a New York football team

that plays in New Jersey.

And I am worried, I still think the best hockey players are Kenyan and Chileians.

It is always chilly in Chile, so they have better weather to practice in.

Numanoid
06-14-2004, 09:49 AM
:( He was a great man, as well as a great leader.... he will be sadly missed.

After 4 years of Jimmy Carter nearly anyone would have done. Still I liked Ronald Reagan and

may he rest in peace. He certainly did bring a lot of morale back to the country.

Mtnjim
06-14-2004, 09:54 AM
"I hate when they have 24/7

coverage of something on every major station when a good way to move on with your life is to get away from

it...

...so I read a book and hit the gym."

Most of you are too young to have seen the Kennedy

Funeral!
Unlike this past weeks coverage, the coverage was 24/7 from an hour after the shooting until a couple of

hours after the burial, and the nation was glued to their TVs. A different age altogether!

Oh, yes, you know

that tape of Jack Rubie shooting Oswald? The first time I saw it, it wasn't on tape!

Pancho1188
06-14-2004, 10:07 AM
"I hate when

they have 24/7 coverage of something on every major station when a good way to move on with your life is to get away

from it...

...so I read a book and hit the gym."

Most of you are too young to have seen the Kennedy

Funeral!
Unlike this past weeks coverage, the coverage was 24/7 from an hour after the shooting until a couple of

hours after the burial, and the nation was glued to their TVs. A different age altogether!

Oh, yes, you know

that tape of Jack Rubie shooting Oswald? The first time I saw it, it wasn't on tape!
Some people

are still glued to their TVs...WTC had people glued for days...weeks...I just think that Reagan's passing was

inevitable since he had Alt---however you spell that...he lost his memory. (:rolleyes: at myself) Had he been

shot...again (yeah, I remember the first one)...and killed at the height of his presidential career, things

might've been different...that's not to say that millions weren't watching this event...I bet they were. In

fact, everyone here was itching to be a part of a "great moment in history"...

Wow, I'd love to hear that

Oswald story, by the way... *:ooo: smiley from old forum*

Mtnjim
06-14-2004, 11:06 AM
"Wow, I'd love to hear that Oswald

story, by the way...'

Not much of a story.
I was in 10th grade, was sitting in front of the TV drinking

some OJ. There was live coverage of Oswald being transfered, and all of a sudden...
Well, you've seen the tape

in History class, I'm sure.

Elana
06-14-2004, 11:08 AM
"Wow, I'd love to

hear that Oswald story, by the way...'

Not much of a story.
I was in 10th grade, was sitting in front of the

TV drinking some OJ. There was live coverage of Oswald being transfered, and all of a sudden...
Well, you've seen

the tape in History class, I'm sure.
Whoa! I bet you still see that one vividly.

Mtnjim
06-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Whoa! I bet you still

see that one vividly.

Somewhat, however there was worse to come in my life (think Viet Nam).