PDA

View Full Version : Warning about Hotmail and other MS services - like the massa

**DONOTDELETE**
06-24-2001, 06:50 PM
Hey all
I’ve compiled some interesting information about the evil Microsoft and their tactics.
Many of you have heard of MSN (and its massager), Passport, Hotmail, and probably have used their services at one point or another.
Here are some reasons why that might not be such a good idea.

?All Your Data (And Biz Plans) Belong To Microsoft
* (this applies even you are sending something to your HOTMAIL or MSN msgr buddy!!!)
?With Microsoft’s HailStorm .NET initiative hinging on the company’s very own PassPort service, you’d think Redmond would be bending over backwards to stress the confidentially of user information.
Well, if that’s the case, it hasn’t started yet.
The current Passport Terms of Use agreement not only fails to guarantee confidentially, but actually gives Microsoft and its business partners the right to own your information, and do pretty much what they want with it. That encompasses all your Hotmail and MSN Messenger communications today.
As the Terms state:
“By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, submitting any feedback or suggestions, or engaging in any other form of communication with or through the Passport Web Site ... you are granting Microsoft and its affiliated companies permission to:
1. Use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, publish, sublicense, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any such communication.
2. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.
3. Publish your name in connection with any such communication.?

And it doesn’t stop there. Are you emailing a contact about a hot idea or business plan of your own? Hand that over, too:
The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft’s use of the materials contained within such communication.
After the eFront debacle, we’re baffled why anyone would want to trust confidential communications to any of the big IM services, let alone MSN Messenger. ?
Here are two good alternatives that spring to mind: http://www.freedomflash.com (\"http://www.freedomflash.com\")
and for the more tech savvy users http://www.hushmail.com (\"http://www.hushmail.com\") - this one comes with powerful encryption techniques

V.

**DONOTDELETE**
Wow, I only use hotmail! And I didn´t bother reading All the small print.
Anyway I doubt they´d get away with this kind of theft .

But it´s like a phone company claiming that they have the right to bug your phone and check out all your calls isn´t it?

**DONOTDELETE**
Hi,
Normally, I am not too keen on completely off-topic material on the forum, but that was quite an eye-opener. Makes me proud to be a Mac-only person. Billy isn\'t getting rich on my money. Maybe I should publicize that on the site: \"Zero percent of the profits from this website are donated to the Gates empire\" Even the website server is powered by Unix, which is one reason I was limited as to forum applications, many of which are written in ASP, which will only run (surprise surprise) on Windows OS servers.

Considering how far in the minority I am on this Mac/Unix thing, I may be committing business suicide with all this ranting and raving, but what the heck, that\'s what they make \"delete\" functions for, isn\'t it? If you see a blank space where this posting used to be, you will know it is because I got a pile of hate mail because of it....
Cheers,
Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
VerminX,
The info in that post was unsetteling, I went right away to the hush web site and started a new account there and E-mailed all my friends about what you wrote and told them to change over so as to no get ripped off or have their privacy invaded.
Thanx for the info

**DONOTDELETE**
Vermin,
Thanks for the info. I\'m not at all surprised. I try to stay away from everything Microsoft. And I love my Macs, even though PC\'s have been a bargain since Windows \'98.

-----
evolve

**DONOTDELETE**
06-24-2001, 06:51 PM
Bruce, you\'re a Mac person? Good man. I\'m using the iMac 333 right now.