PDA

View Full Version : Draft possibly could be implemented next year?

dping28
05-22-2004, 08:14 PM
A friend sent me this link, and thought I would share it with you all and see your views on it. I my

self hope these two bills dont get passed. We are suppose to be a country or freedom and choice. This basicly gives

you no choice if you want to serve. At least thats what i got out of

it.

h

ttp://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?alertid=5834001&content_dir=ua_congressorg (\"http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/alert/?alertid=5834001&content_dir=ua_congressorg\")

einstein
05-23-2004, 04:11 AM
Here is a different point of view. I\'m hoping this one is right, since I\'m 24, and not gay or

paralyzed or in any other way exempt. Some interesting psychology/politics going on here.
I\'ve edited out some

of the boring parts
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Copyright 2004 Star Tribune

Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN)
March 7, 2004, Sunday, Metro Edition
SECTION: VARIETY; Kim Ode; Pg. 2E
LENGTH:

717 words
HEADLINE: Do you feel a draft?;
Rumors, suspicions raise worries about a revival, despite lots of

official denials

BYLINE: Kim Ode; Staff Writer

BODY:
Talk about a bombshell. An e-mail making the rounds says

that two bills to reinstate the draft are quietly pending in Congress. It\'s true. But as with many things these

days, reality isn\'t exactly what it appears, while the effort that deserves our keenest attention is skulking

under the radar.
The two bills, HR 163 and S 89, were introduced little more than a year ago and since have

simmered on the rearmost burners of the Armed Services committees. Their Democrat sponsors expected as much, for the

bills represent an antiwar strategy.
The bills would draft rich kids and daughters and college students along

with everyone else between ages 18 and 26. Maybe, their thinking goes, such shared sacrifice across our youthful

population would keep us from going to war on less-than-stellar pretexts. Republicans won\'t vote for this;

neither will Democrats.
So I cling to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld\'s unequivocal

statements that the draft will not be reimplemented. In fact, I\'ll repeat them as often as possible. Because I

fear the game\'s afoot.

In November, a notice seeking citizens to serve on local draft boards appeared on

the Pentagon\'s Web site and then, without explanation, disappeared barely a week after word of its existence got

around. Copies of the document still exist, though. Draft boards are made up of community volunteers who decide who

among the drafted would go to war and who could defer their service.

Even after the draft was

abolished, draft boards never completely faded away. More than 11,000 volunteers nationwide are trained in

regulations and procedures. Yet despite the administration\'s firm statements that there are no plans for a new

draft, the Pentagon notice reportedly was the first formal request for draft board volunteers since the draft was

abolished in 1973.

Maybe it means nothing. But the fact is that many in the National Guard and Army Reserves

will not be reenlisting when they return home from the Middle East. In a recent poll by the military newspaper Stars

and Stripes, 49 percent said they were \"not likely\" or \"very unlikely\" to stay in.

Still, the

Pentagon says there is no cause for concern, reporting that each branch of the armed services met or exceeded its

recruiting goals for 2003. Ironically, that success is one reason that Rep. Charles Rangle (D-N.Y.) introduced his

bill calling for the draft. No more relying on the poor and minorities to defend the privileged. \"For those who

say the poor fight better, I say give the rich a chance,\" he said at the time.

The sponsor of the Senate

bill, Sen. Ernest Hollings (D- S.C.), was even more blunt: \"One way to avoid a lot more wars to come is institute

the draft,\" Hollings told the New York Times. \"You will find that this country will sober up, and its

leadership, too.\"

In the meantime, the Selective Service\'s annual performance plan for 2004

(http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html) describes goals for its \"manpower delivery system\" that

include making sure that local draft boards could be up and running within 75 days of a return to conscription.

Kim Ode\'s column runs Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Write to her at

kimode@startribune.com (\"kimode@startribune.com\") or 425 Portland Av. S. Minneapolis MN 55488. For

past columns, go to http://www.startribune.com/ode. (\"http://www.startribune.com/ode.\")

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

EXIT63
05-23-2004, 05:08 AM
The politicians don\'t have the balls to do it. It\'s political suicide.

EXIT63
05-23-2004, 05:26 AM
Every year 5 million Americans reach the age of Eighteen. What are we gonna do? Send 5 million people

every year to Fort Dix for basic training. That\'ll work. We\'ll have 100,000 soldiers in every platoon.

deb
05-23-2004, 02:32 PM
I hope we don\'t go that direction or have the need to.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pancho1188
05-24-2004, 05:20 AM
I think that anyone enjoying the fruits of a country\'s freedom should be willing to stand up

and defend it. I say that even though I hate guns, I hate violence, and I am the prime target of the bill. I feel

that I\'d be really spoiled and jaded if I said that other people can go and risk their lives while I sit here and

enjoy the fruits of their labor. However, the draft is only to be used out of necessity, which means that the times

would have to be hard to institute it. They said you can serve as a civilian, too. As far as religion or whatever

is concerned (think Ali for example) and not wanting to even serve a civilian job that leads to other deaths, I\'m

not touching that topic with a 20-ft. pole...

...and I get tired of being serious and must get to joking...

I

don\'t see why everyone can\'t go for a 3-month getaway to get basic fighting skills. It\'s more like a

get-fit program that\'ll get people to lose their gut! We\'re an overweight country, anyway, we could use a

little combat training to turn our nation into a bunch of well-oiled machines!

That being said, I won\'t

comment on whether the current actions are right or wrong because that\'s a whole different issue.

The most

ironic thing in my opinion is that they are taking innovative action to prevent people from leaving the country, but

they can\'t even stop illegal aliens from entering the country. Where are our priorities? I say let the

deserters leave, and then stop them from getting back in the country!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I call it the \"Serve to Deserve\" program...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

metroman
05-24-2004, 04:03 PM
\"Why of course the people don\'t want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his

life in a war when the best he get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people

don\'t want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But,

after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the

people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to

do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the

country to danger. It works the same in any country.\"

Hermann Goering